Building Bonds with Entertainment

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Building Bonds with Entertainment

• I wonder what percentage of people find conferences a means to really establish friendships with people, as you describe Steve.  I have been to a handful of SQL Saturdays and met several people there, but would not remember them if I saw the the following year.  Granted, I am pretty introverted and don't easily connect with people.  Still, I wonder how many people would say these once-a-year events are effective for more than just adding a linked-in connection.

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• I never really went to conferences while working, but over the years had both regular and rare social situations with co-workers.  The most pleasant ones were when we just had casual dinners together with co-workers and spouses.  We were all well-acquainted and had great conversations, everything from good dining to patio fireside visits.   At most employers, actual company-organized events were rare.  We never considered it building a network.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• skeleton567 wrote:

I never really went to conferences while working, but over the years had both regular and rare social situations with co-workers.  The most pleasant ones were when we just had casual dinners together with co-workers and spouses.  We were all well-acquainted and had great conversations, everything from good dining to patio fireside visits.   At most employers, actual company-organized events were rare.  We never considered it building a network.

I am a big fan of events that put <=6 people together, dinners, some team thing, but give people a chance to talk and get to know each other

• david.gugg wrote:

I wonder what percentage of people find conferences a means to really establish friendships with people, as you describe Steve.  I have been to a handful of SQL Saturdays and met several people there, but would not remember them if I saw the the following year.  Granted, I am pretty introverted and don't easily connect with people.  Still, I wonder how many people would say these once-a-year events are effective for more than just adding a linked-in connection.

That's a good question. I would say a minority, though I would hope it's closer to half.

It takes effort, and making an effort to get to know people at events, user groups, etc. is part of an investment in growing your career and network. I meet lots of people, and I make an effort to chat with them. There have been many times I return to an event the next year and remember someone's face and chat again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply