Building Better Software

• I use the term "BlackOps deployment" referring to those scenarios where IT performs an undocumented operation in production without going through he offical change control process. Sometimes it may be a follow-up maneuver to to tidy up the loose ends of a regular deployment that didn't quite go as planned. Or it could be some bit of code refactoring that gets bundled into a deliverable, even though it falls outside the scope of documented requirements.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (3/14/2016)

I use the term "BlackOps deployment" referring to those scenarios where IT performs an undocumented operation in production without going through he offical change control process. Sometimes it may be a follow-up maneuver to to tidy up the loose ends of a regular deployment that didn't quite go as planned. Or it could be some bit of code refactoring that gets bundled into a deliverable, even though it falls outside the scope of documented requirements.

Now you have told us do you have to kill us?

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I think it highly ironic that a lot of managers want code real bad and then have the nerve to be disappointed when the developers give it them that way. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (3/14/2016)

I think it highly ironic that a lot of managers want code real bad and then have the nerve to be disappointed when the developers give it them that way. :hehe:

Disappointed? Angry, yes, but I have never come across a manager disappointed.

Gaz

• Gary Varga (3/14/2016)

Eric M Russell (3/14/2016)

I use the term "BlackOps deployment" referring to those scenarios where IT performs an undocumented operation in production without going through he offical change control process. Sometimes it may be a follow-up maneuver to to tidy up the loose ends of a regular deployment that didn't quite go as planned. Or it could be some bit of code refactoring that gets bundled into a deliverable, even though it falls outside the scope of documented requirements.

Now you have told us do you have to kill us?

Just for the record, I categorically deny my personal involvement in any IT "BlackOps" deployments, and I strongly condemn any such activities. 😉

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (3/14/2016)

This scares me rigid. I know that there are change managers who missed their calling as a village idiot but for the most part the change process is there to protect service and ultimately the people tasked with deploying software to a production environment.

I don't want to go back to the days when dev was nothing like test was nothing like preproduction was nothing like live. The whole "infrastructure as code" idea was a quantum leap forward. Simply knowing that if it wouldn't work in an environment then there was no way it was going to work in any another environment and conversely that if it DID work in an environment you had a guarantee that it would work in production.

If you are talking about a feature that developers have surreptitiously built good tests for and has gone through the same rigour as everything else then that is a different matter. I can't imaging a project manager being keen to deploy something that wasn't in the project scope.

• In a similar vein... it's not possible for some companies to build better software because of the apparent incredible lack of even basic talent out there. Heh... can you tell that I'm having to do interviews again? :sick: Most of these people should be sued for lying on their resumes.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• And where are you interviewing?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Jeff Moden (3/17/2016)

In a similar vein... it's not possible for some companies to build better software because of the apparent incredible lack of even basic talent out there. Heh... can you tell that I'm having to do interviews again? :sick: Most of these people should be sued for lying on their resumes.

I believe that it is these liars that hide a layer of introverted talent.

Gaz

• Rod at work (3/18/2016)

And where are you interviewing?

Troy, Michigan.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Gary Varga (3/18/2016)

Jeff Moden (3/17/2016)

In a similar vein... it's not possible for some companies to build better software because of the apparent incredible lack of even basic talent out there. Heh... can you tell that I'm having to do interviews again? :sick: Most of these people should be sued for lying on their resumes.

Talent for what? The gift for gab? The belief of the own BS? Their Walter Mitty claims? What "introverted talent" is it that you believe these people have?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (3/18/2016)

Rod at work (3/18/2016)

And where are you interviewing?

Troy, Michigan.

Interesting, I have received several emails and a few calls from recruiters for a DBA position in Troy, although I am not looking. Troy seems to be a DBA hotspot at the moment... either that or they are all recruiting for the same position.

• Jeff Moden (3/18/2016)

Gary Varga (3/18/2016)

Jeff Moden (3/17/2016)

Talent for what? The gift for gab? The belief of the own BS? Their Walter Mitty claims? What "introverted talent" is it that you believe these people have?

By "a layer of introverted talent" I meant other people.

Gaz

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply