Bring Solutions

• Marcia J (2/21/2013)

Keith Langmead (2/21/2013)

...The only issue I have with this idea is that it assumes you're capable of providing a solution, and it's quite possible that won't be the case. I'm quite capable of identifying a problem with an application or something for instance, but I'm not a developer, and I wouldn't know where to start in order to resolve it. The best I can hope to do it provide as much information as possible so someone with the required skills and replicate the issue and fix a solution to it.

Good point. The person that identifies the problem isn't always the one that can fix it. However, as a developer, I greatly appreciate those who try to provide as much information as possible, especially information that helps me replicate the issue.

I agree with that. Good managers are a bit like the Captain of the starship Enterprise. The Captain has identified a problem but has no clue as to the requirements necessary to solve the problem. He surrounds himself with intelligent people with a mix of talents in the "Ready Room" to more correctly identify the problem, which is frequently 90% of the fix, and then makes assignments of human and material resources from there. Good managers are "enablers", not just "directors".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (11/8/2016)

...Good managers are "enablers", not just "directors".

...or even "dictators".

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (2/22/2013)

marcia.j.wilson (2/21/2013)

Keith Langmead (2/21/2013)

...The only issue I have with this idea is that it assumes you're capable of providing a solution, and it's quite possible that won't be the case. I'm quite capable of identifying a problem with an application or something for instance, but I'm not a developer, and I wouldn't know where to start in order to resolve it. The best I can hope to do it provide as much information as possible so someone with the required skills and replicate the issue and fix a solution to it.

Good point. The person that identifies the problem isn't always the one that can fix it. However, as a developer, I greatly appreciate those who try to provide as much information as possible, especially information that helps me replicate the issue.

Woah there ladies and gentlemen!!!

I guess we are saying that in a mature environment that we would welcome issue discovery early and hope that, when raised, as much salient information is provided. Also we would look for the most appropriate person to resolve the issue which is not necessarily the discoverer nor the person who raises the issue.

This thread appears to suggest that governmental departments are immature. For those of you who have heard the debates in Westminster I am sure that this would not be surprising.

Well - the "right person for the job" is kind of like your keys (they're always in the last place you look for them 😀 ). That unfortunately means in most cases that until you find that right person, you're probably heading in the wrong direction, and the right person will FIRST have to undo whatever craziness came before them.

Best advice I ever got in that situation: better off doing NOTHING until you know what the right course of action is. Tie it off - leave it alone, maybe try to stem the onslaught somehow, but don't just charge into the minefield unless you have an actual plan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Nice article to rerun, makes one ponder some important things.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply