Breaking into SQL Development job with irrelevant degree

• I am looking to getting into a career as a database developer. I have an unrelated degree...a bachelor's degree in Accounting from a reputable state university. I am a recent graduate by the way and have no real job experience with SQL. I have looked on job boards and do not see many positions in my area, I am in NJ by the way. Not sure if it just me, but these jobs seem scarce to come by.

What can I do to get experience and break into the field? I have this book which I am currently reading:
     Database Systems: Design, Implementation, Management 12th edition by Coronel, Morris    
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1305627482/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My school did have a more technical major called Management Information Systems (MIS) which probably would have been more relevant to study than Accounting.  I feel like I am sort of stuck and that it is impossible to break into the field of SQL at this point.

Thanks.

• evaslash - Friday, March 2, 2018 8:05 PM

I am looking to getting into a career as a database developer. I have an unrelated degree...a bachelor's degree in Accounting from a reputable state university. I am a recent graduate by the way and have no real job experience with SQL. I have looked on job boards and do not see many positions in my area, I am in NJ by the way. Not sure if it just me, but these jobs seem scarce to come by.

What can I do to get experience and break into the field? I have this book which I am currently reading:
     Database Systems: Design, Implementation, Management 12th edition by Coronel, Morris    
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1305627482/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My school did have a more technical major called Management Information Systems (MIS) which probably would have been more relevant to study than Accounting.  I feel like I am sort of stuck and that it is impossible to break into the field of SQL at this point.

Thanks.

I wouldn't call a degree in Accounting an "unrelated" degree.  If you did that right, you have a wealth of knowledge in mathematics and organizational skills that many Developers lack.

Let's start off with a snippet from your original post above...

I am looking to getting into a career as a database developer.

Since accounting can provide for a lucrative position, I have to ask "WHY" are you looking to make the change and do you understand the nature of what is expected of a good Database Developer?  I'll also ask if you actually know anything about databases other than they're a "place to store data".

These aren't meant as confrontational questions.  We can't help unless we know what your perceptions are and what your motivation is because such a transition is going to require some serious, highly motivated, and lengthy study on your part to fill a position as a good Database Developer.

No matter the case, if you need a job, then I recommend you start out with an accounting job while you study to become someone that can do the correct dance in the world of databases.

So, back to my original question... "WHY" do you want to become a Database Developer?  What is the motivation there?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply