Boycott?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Boycott?

• "Boycott SQL Server 2008" ?

I have boycotted SQL Server 2005! - the number of fixes per week is astounding !

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• Heh... you live on a "farm", Steve... you know what it means to "close the barn door after the cows got out."

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Boycott!!! That would have a bit harsh!!!! :w00t:

But I personally not liking the new technologies of MS, whether it is Vista, Windows 2008, Office 2007. I haven't use SQL Server 2008, but the reviews are that ga ga about it. MS is very good in patches..........

🙂

• We don't touch new technology until it's proven and settled (a service pack or two) and passes the acceptance testing and also has good reason to move to. We are only just moving to SQL2005 so are unlikely to go to 2008 until 2005 is out of support or a glaring security hole appears.

So yes effectively we are boycotting 2008 as we just aren't interested yet.

• Half of our applications are still running on 2000, we still have a lot to do to move everything to 2005 so will probably skip 2008 unless there is a real need. The one thing that would of tipped the balance is having the resource governor in the standard edition.

• If Microsoft claim that they have lost interest in maintaining and developing SQL Server 2005, maybe we ought to suggest to them, with a straight face, that they can turn it into a community project like PostgreSQL. When you see their reaction to that idea, you'll soon see that their lack of interest in 2005 is just a ploy to force the industry to upgrade.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Hello,

I don't think that's a good thing to boycott Sql Server 2008

First, the Sql Server 2005 SP3 is arriving during the quarter 4 of 2008 , just after the real disposal of Sql Server 2008 ( 1 SP each year is quite good )

For Sql Server 2000, too many developers are always relying on features dating from Sql Server 7.0 and officially, they have no time to modify their programs.

I'm a developer, using only Sql Server 2005 Express, but i've eliminated all features which were marked as "depreciated" in 2005, so I'm ensuring that i will not have too many problems with Sql Server 2008 ( for me Sql Server 2005 Express is a Sql Server 2005 with some limitations, i don't use features reserved to Express Edition, so my databases and programs have no problems when they are installed on Standard/Entreprise editions )

For the 2005 SP3, i think that the Sql Server Team has preferred to favor the version 2008 ( i understand ) and maybe in SP3, we will have new features coming from the 2008 ( if it's right, that would be very nice )

Excuse me for my writing way, english is not my mother tongue

Have a nice day

• I have never been a fan of product boycotts. They are often ineffective and simply arouse a spirit of long lasting resentment by those who organize them. In some cases it even has the opposite affect (such as a highly publicized effort to boycott a movie.)

• Deprecated... another word for "we're taking another feature away". I understand that deprecated aliasing by equality and forcing AS. Too bad... aliasing by equality made for some very easy to read code and made SELECT and UPDATE look more like each other.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hello,

I've found somebody who has dared to do what i didn't know how to say : boycott is not a good way.

I've too often seen projects managers saying : "we have plenty of time to learn new features and to apply them in our projects. Moreover, why to waste time to learn these new features , they will be deprecated in 6 years". Results : i know a company which is said very up to date and wants selling products developed with VB6. That's the same company which forbids any update from Sql Server 2000 Standard to Sql Server 2005 because it's useless before the next year ( the real reason is that they have to modify all their programs to pass to VB 2003 ).

People who shout because the SP3 is coming late : i say cheers.

People who shout because Sql Server 2008 is arriving : i say : stop. Except if your real reason is that they don't want to learn something new, and to be questioned about their knowledge level.

I'm 61 years old. 3 years ago, i changed my work , and i decided to learn Sql Server 2005 Express, and VC#/VB 2005 , giving up C,Pascal,Cobol and my dear HP-Image, quite an enormous challenge in view of my age and that's a success.

My first program was written in 1967 September, i've evolve from this time, learning and using Basic,APL,Algol,Pascal,C,Fortran and some other languages.

A new version of Sql server ( 2008 ) is arriving : first thing, I'm enquiring now what are the changes but i will not instal an 2008 instance before the disposal of the RTM ( i don't want to reinstall my XP Pro because of a TCP version ) and i will give new ( or updates ) programs before the SP1 for 2008 ( a simple precaution : i must test before releasing a new version )

A long reply to finish with this : i think that Microsoft gives good softwares but most of the problems we met are often caused by the decision of Microsoft to maintain backward compatibility.

Have a nice day

• I don't know about a true boycott but as with any microsoft release I always advise waiting. Unless there is a specific feature you need what is the point of upgrading? Half my machines are still SQL 2000 and I don't plan to upgrade them. They run fine and don't cost much money. The machines on SQL 2005 were either because they were "new" so we bought the latest version or there was a feature we needed. I have no plans to upgrade to SQL 2008 until its been out for at least a year and then only when absolutely necessary. But then I do the same with any software. I never inteneded to upgrade from Office 2003, and still run it at home (unfortunately the US Air Force is mandating the upgrade (but then it doesn't come out of my orgs budget either). Good luck to all who must upgrade and for those who don't have a pressing need then wait (you really won't be missing anything).

James.

-=JLK=-

• Steve,

Only a few days ago you said that you would be tempted to work for Microsoft - You're not going to get any job offers suggesting boycotts! (The Shortage of Programmers 2008/05/05 - "Being the "Voice of Microsoft" has a nice ring to it." - I think you were at least partly kidding at the time...)

Like many, I too am getting frustrated with Microsoft putting new things out too fast and which often have a lot of problems. My company, like many, has answered with an unofficial boycott - we just don't buy anything from Microsoft until it's "ripe". Perhaps an "official" boycott would be a more effective way to get Microsoft's ear?

We made the mistake of upgrading from XP professional and Visual Studio 2005 to Vista and VS 2008 when they were ONLY out for 10 months and 5 months respectively. Problems galore! Microsoft has announced that they may be speeding up release of their next operating system. This appears to me to be a poorly veiled ploy to get people to pay a lot of money for what Microsoft should be giving away for free; bug fixes.

• Databases are the last things we update, because we have so many applications relying on them, we need to get the apps updated before touching the db.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• We have been under budget restraints here since end of 2006. We have three SQL 2005 and 18 SQL 2000 servers here. I cannot ask for the $200,000+ dollars to upgrade ALL test and prod SQL Server versions knowing that now Microsoft states they will release a new version every three years. Why upgrade to SQL2005 now when 2008 is just about to be released. 1/3 of our software vendors have not even certified 2005 yet. With alot of apps on each SQL 2000 instance we have to wait until ALL of them certifiy before thinking about upgrading. Some of our systems will take alot of manhours to make sure everything works under new release AND some are pretty critical systems.

A boycott is probably a little too severe. However, have been waiting for a rollup service pack to SQL 2005 due to soo many hotifx patches they have released. I think it is ridiculous they have not released SP3 and am waiting for that. I have a multi instance 64 bit SQL 2005 but until SP3 is released I do not want to even migrate very small home grown databases knowing how many bug fixes might potentially bite us.

Personally I look at SQL 2008 as a Release two like Oracle does. This is a minor release upgrade not a full blown new release. Most likely we will upgrade very few if any to 2005 and just wait for SQL 2008 SP1 to upgrade our SQL 2000's to.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply