Blackle

• Google created a black version of its search engine, called Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white version, but obviously with lower energy consumption.

anybody able to open the following website ?

http://www.blackle.com

karthik

• Hey,

Blackle is actually provided by Heap Media, a company in Sydney, Australia. The searches are powered by Google custom search.

😉

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
    For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...[/url]

• Yaaa. It is in black color and have less feature than white. It says

555,447.233 Watt hours saved

But it is good.

😛

• when google used a black verison for the one day it did state that it actually made no difference to energy consumption and was to more highlight people awareness

~si

• Simon_Lo (4/29/2008)

when google used a black verison for the one day it did state that it actually made no difference to energy consumption and was to more highlight people awareness

~si

I agree with what you said. But this is what the site claims: 588,213.354 Watt hours saved I am not sure how they claculate it.

🙂

• I'll be impressed when they save 1.21 gigawatts.

• Simon_Lo (4/29/2008)

when google used a black verison for the one day it did state that it actually made no difference to energy consumption and was to more highlight people awareness

~si

Do you have a URL for that bit of info? I'd like to read more about that.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I dont sorry , when google itself "dimmed the lights" for a day (at least google uk) it had that bit of info to say it didnt make a difference but was merely to highlight the cause

~si

• Jeff,

Here's a link to Googles Earth Hour effort....

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/earthhour/

And this one's for the official blog saying that it may actually use more energy!

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/is-black-new-green.html

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
    For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...[/url]

• On CRTs, to product light takes energy, black is less power.

On LCDs, all colors require energy, so Blackle doesn't really help, especially over time. It was a good idea years ago, but as more and more people move to LCDs, Blackle doesn't help.

Shut down your monitors after 10 minutes. If you're concentrating on reading something, get in the habit of wiggling your mouse as you read and you'll be ok.

• Adrian Nichols (4/30/2008)

Jeff,

Here's a link to Googles Earth Hour effort....

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/earthhour/

And this one's for the official blog saying that it may actually use more energy!

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/is-black-new-green.html

Thanks, Adrian!

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/30/2008)

On CRTs, to product light takes energy, black is less power.

On LCDs, all colors require energy, so Blackle doesn't really help, especially over time. It was a good idea years ago, but as more and more people move to LCDs, Blackle doesn't help.

Shut down your monitors after 10 minutes. If you're concentrating on reading something, get in the habit of wiggling your mouse as you read and you'll be ok.

On Crt's, I'm not sure that's true... it's not the electron guns that they turn off to make black... they turn on a "grid" cathode to hold the electrons back. For white, none of the grids are turned on. Displaying pure black may actually take more energy that displaying white.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Not an authoritative source, but some of the less-busy people at Wikipedia show some savings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackle.com

• Thanks, Steve... I'll take a look. One test is worth a thousand guesses...

I still like the ultimate power saver... turn it off when you're not using it. Not just the on/off switch... power strip.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (4/30/2008)

Thanks, Steve... I'll take a look. One test is worth a thousand guesses...

I still like the ultimate power saver... turn it off when you're not using it. Not just the on/off switch... power strip.

Agreed - I was reading some stats the other day implying that there was 10-20% energy savings to be had if we would just turn various things off instead of leaving them in standby mode. Like - copiers/printers/computers - how many of those thing stay on all night (so it's on and doing nothing at least 16 hours a day for NO reason).

Of course - there are things I cheat with, such as older machines that take a solid 5+ minutes to finish booting up. They may stay on a while if i have need for them. That argument drops drastically when boot time is cut

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply