Big and Small

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Big and Small

• Man, This is a great statement you posted:

"With grand plans, don't forget to do the little things"

• Same goes as an employee. Big enough to have the benefits we all need, small enough not to just be an employeeID field in a database.

I've worked at big companies (Disney), and frankly it was not very enjoyable, although most of the time I just dealt with my group at ABC Radio Networks which was great, but as soon as you needed something from central Disney IT it was a royal pain.

I was set to manage one of the SQL Servers in the DMZ, yet they would not give me management permissions on the server...

I much prefer working for the size company I work for now, about 2500 employees enterprise wide, maybe about 400 for the division I work for. Small enough I can call up the CIO and he knows who I am when something needs done. And the CEO even knows who I am...

Same goes for being a customer.

• This applies to commercial establishments as well. When I go into a store, which isn't often anymore with everything I can get over the internet, I expect to get some customer service when I need it, without being hounded around the store. It is all about balance. I don't want a salesperson hanging around as I check out the merchandise (makes me feel like they suspect I'd shoplift); but neither do I want the sales clerks to be more interested in the personal conversations or phone calls than answering a question or ringing up my order.

• For sure, I need to send Best Buy a note. Was browsing in there and while it's nice to be asked if I need help, the 8th time in 30 minutes was annoying.

• I've worked for corporations where they don't care about the hard workers. They've got employee turnover to a fine mathematical equation. So why bother rewarding employees for hard work? Or giving them good benefits? On average they'll be gone in a year or two. If not less.

Small companies are harder to work for. Usually around 5 to 20 employees. Hardly any turnover. But doing the job of three to five people. Only getting one salary. Little or no benefits as the profits are very small. Very hard for the small company to grow into a medium sized company to reap the rewards.

Medium sized companies or small corporations are good to work for. Still little turnover. Benefits are better than smaller companies. Salaries are a little higher than smaller companies. Employees are still recognized for hard work. Also like the other poster mentioned, the CEO or CIO still remembers your name.

Just food for thought.

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/15/2008)

For sure, I need to send Best Buy a note. Was browsing in there and while it's nice to be asked if I need help, the 8th time in 30 minutes was annoying.

Steve,

When you do, be sure to let them know that making employees ask every customer every 5 minutes if they need help is not the way to counter their BB/WS ("Best Buy/Worst Service") image. I thoroughly despise this company after being burned 3 times by them. As long as you are buying, they are trying but if you have any issue that results in an exchange (that does not result iin your paying more) or worse, a refund (a 4 letter word at BB/WS) you can forget it because you could be dieing before they start trying to help.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • I've worked in all areas and sizes from large retailers like Circuit City & Best Buy to the mid size corporations with a few thousand employees to the small sized start up that has a dozen or less employees and all have their pros & cons. Big businesses like IBM can treat theri customers & employees the right way like the samm sized businesses they just have to work harder at it and that is where they often fall short of this goal. The bigger they get the more disconnected everyone becomes and the more disenfranchised.

This howver was not always the case. My father is a 'lifer' at IBM with over 40 years at Big Blue and I can tell you from personal experince, IBM has gone from being a place people did whatever they could to get a job there to just another tech company with mostly unhappy and even disgruntled employees. When it became more important to up the stock in time for the next share holders meeting no matter what the expense to the employees, corporations (actually just the Board level persons) traded in business smarts and common sense for dollar signs in their eyes. Basically they became private governments trading employees for citizens & labor for taxes. The difference being the employees can't elect a new CEO every 4 years.

Twenty years ago my father would have bleed for IBM. Now he'd probably give blood to help criple those at the top of the management chain.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply