BI Certification

• I have some experience with SQL Server 2005 and Reporting Services but lost my job in the recession. After alot of thought I have decided I want to persue a certification in BI. What would people advise someone who is fairly novice to undertake? I want to learn SSAS and SSIS but I am not sure how to proceed. I will undertake training but am confused by the plethora of options out there. I am quite familiar with old versions of Oracle and development tools but moved across to SQL Server a while ago.

• MS 70-452

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker (3/23/2010)

MS 70-452

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab1%5B/quote%5D

I would go with this one as well.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Heh... a bit ironic... you lost your job to the recession and it was because the BI failed to begin with. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi,

I have a question to ask.

Is MS-SQL certification required to qualify for MS-BI Certification as a prerequisite.

I wish to pursue a MS-BI certification.

Raunak J

• It is a different track. SQL Server certs are not a pre-requisite.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx?#tab3

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thank you.

Can you please specify the Exam module number for BI certs...

I was earlier told that SQL Server certs are a prequisite before appearing for BI certs...

Raunak J

• I have some experience with SQL Server 2005 and Reporting Services but lost my job in the recession. After alot of thought I have decided I want to persue a certification in BI. What would people advise someone who is fairly novice to undertake? I want to learn SSAS and SSIS but I am not sure how to proceed. I will undertake training but am confused by the plethora of options out there. I am quite familiar with old versions of Oracle and development tools but moved across to SQL Server a while ago.

Hello,

BI certification on Microsoft is great idea. Because there are not many certificated professionals in this topic. For example, people that has completed 70-445 was so less that even passing this exam is a good reference in my opinion.

For example I had 70-446 but failed at 70-445 so unfortunately not yet completed my BI certification targets.

But only being good at SSRS is not enough for BI exams.

SSRS, SSAS including Data Mining especially and SSIS are topics of these exams.

But as I always do, I will suggest the SQL2008 track for you.

I believe it is easier and will be valid for a longer time.

448 and 452 are exam numbers for SQL2008 (SQL Server 2008 Certification Paths)

445 and 446 are for SQL2005

Passing the first ones will be enough for MCTS.

For MCITP, you should take two

• Thanks for the advice - very useful. I will probably do the MCTS first as I can't take to much time out and go for the MCITP at a later date.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply