Best way to prepare for interview?

• Need help, it always take me ~ 3 months for preparation.

I work in some area and forget the others.

Last time it took me ~ 20 interviews to land current consultant job.

Next time, I hope it will take less.

Any comment will be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

JJ

MCSA SQL 2012.

• The best way to prepare for an interview is to apply for jobs that aren't too far out of your area of expertise and to remember what people were looking for compared to the job posting so you can practice in those areas. If you don't already know how to do something on the job posting, cramming for the interview in those areas won't do you any good because your inexperience in those areas will be obvious in the interview.

Ostensibly, "practice" should be easy for you. If you're a consultant, you should at least have a copy of SQL Server Developer's Edition. Make up some problems or look for similar problems on forums like this one and solve the problems. Look at how other people solved the problems and try those solutions to figue out what the "best" solutions actually are.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• One of the challenges with the SQL DBA path is that not all jobs offer the opportunity and challenge to develop the skills the next job may want. If you work at a small company with a small number instances with databases less than 10GB and less than 50 simultaneous users, you simply won't face some of the problems and challenges faced when you have a terabyte of data and thousands of users. If you use mostly applications from 3rd party vendors, you won't have much opportunity to develop indexes or tune queries because you may not be able or allowed to modify a vendor's application.

One way around this is have the goal of passing Microsoft Certification exams. This will force one to study and use in a learning environment skills that may not be required in one's current job.

Of one is currently interviewing, I'd agree that Developer's Edition is an excellent investment. You won't become a Senior DBA in just three evening sessions, but you can practice skills you don't have a lot of practice on. I'd also read up on the latest "hot" trends.

• Speaking from experience here, look for lists of interview questions on this site and on others. The idea is not to do a brain dump, but look for the topics you need to brush up on. You should have a list of the most useful DMV's handy for review. Also, go thru script libraries here and elsewhere, and look at the most popular, highest rated, etc. These last two will tell you a lot about day-to-day DBA activities, which are likely to come up during interviews.

Hope this helps.

• Study, practice, study, practice and keep going even if you get a job.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thank you all for your excellent information.

I will apply them to my interview preparation.

Thank again.

JJ

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply