Best place to create SSRS reports

• Hi

First off, I'm completely new to SSRS, so this might seem like a no-brainier question.

I have been developing a few - very basic - test reports on my local machine in Visual Studio, and the deploying them to an SQL server with SSRS installed. As the reports that I will eventually make will be a lot more complicated and will require that I make a custom authentication using ASP.NET, it looks like I need to create various keys on the SQL server.

I was therefore wondering where the best place to develop SSRS reports are?
    Will it be better/easier to install Visual Studio on the same machine that runs the SSRS SQL server?
    Or will it make no difference is I develop the reports on my local machine?  

Thanks in advance 🙂

/Søren

• It really doesn't matter. It all comes down to preference.

I develop reports on my local desktop, and link to the data sources and datasets on the server.  When the reports are published, the links follow and don't need to be altered.

But, I do recommend saving a copy as a backup when you publish, just in case any reports or (God forbid) the server crashes.  You can save the copies anywhere, but preferably to a network drive since the drives are usually backed up.  Also, if you need to modify a report, you can work on the network files instead of the live report and just re publish when you're done.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply