Best file compression software?

• I've used LiteSpeed (Quest) and SQLSafe (Idera). SQLSafe was brought in due to price (isn't it always about $$$) . Very good support, very good products, both easy to use. Eval them and see what works for you. REDGATE supposedly has a pretty good product as well (hi Steve!!).

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• I agree, check out all the products, and select the best one based on price, performance, ease of use, support, and what ever other criteria management might throw in. There are 4 products that should be considered:

Quest LiteSpeed

Idera SQLSafe

RedGate SQL Backup

Hyperbac HyperBac

😎

• Lynn is right. I forgot about HyperBac. Eval, eval, eval then spend the money that fits your budget. This came out last month in SQL Server magazine:

http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/ArticleID/98180/98180.html?Ad=1

• CommVault has a good solution also.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Anyone using roll-your-own scripts may want to check out QuickLZ[/url] - fastest compression speed around, at the cost of a modest compression ratio. If not overrunning your backup windows is more important then final archive size take a look. Gets about 1:3 compression ratio for some of our DBs > 100Gb, with compression speed very close to that of a simple file copy operation.

Make sure you keep a copy of the executable around that was used to compress your data however - QuickLZ is changing fairly frequently and new versions are not always 100% compatible with data compressed with older versions.

Regards,

Jacob

• What are the costs of the various products these days? The last time I was involved with Litespeed it was very negotiable. I got the feeling the price was highly commission based.

Paul

• They vary from around $800 USD to $1700 USD. Check out Quest, Idera and Redgate (which I think was the least expensive), to name a few. Typically, as has been my experience, catch the vendor just prior to the close of a calendar quarter as they are trying to reach sales quotas and can very accomodating on prices! One caveat is annual maintenance that you'll need to factor into your decision.

• HyperBac (from HyperBac) is $699 USD per server.

😎

• Hyperbac are the same guys that originally built Litespeed (from DBAssociates way back when). They've got a lot of experience and since you have lots of choices now (MS, Red Gate, Quest, Hyperbac) hit them all up for quotes.

Write a short RFP and send it out.

• That's a lot cheaper than it used to be. My last customer had a quad processor server and was charged £2000 ($4000) + £500 pa support.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

• More competition = more products = lower cost to consumers (usually, depending on product type). As stated, get the evals and compare.

• Ummmm.... how far away is your warm server?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I have created prototype of a new file archiver, qpress, which is using asynchronous non-buffered I/O so that other applications' cache isn't flushed. It's using QuickLZ 1.40 as compresison library and is intended for high speed, not good compression ratio.

http://www.quicklz.com/qpress.zip

Any feedback and benchmarks is more than welcome 🙂

• We've been extremely pleased with SQL Backup from Red Gate. When we priced LiteSpeed they were something like 8x more expensive then Red Gate. Red Gate licenses per server, not per instance, so please take that into consideration, too. I think Red Gate's CS has been great. They're easy to get ahold of and have always been pleasant to work with.

• Got to plug HyperBac. We have installed it on 7 servers so far (it is also licensed per server) and it has reduced backup/restore times on these servers as well as significantly reducing the amount of disk space used by the backup files. I am not spending time every week trying to minimize disk/tape space usage. While working on a new backup/restore process, I only need to spend about 10 to 15 minutes once a month; just did that today and though our tape backups went to two tapes while I was on vacation (only the weekly tape backup), I still had plenty of disk space available.

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply