Becoming a business intelligence architect

• Which exams to pass if you want to become a business intelligence architect? Any suggestions?

• You should look at getting a MSBI certification, however you will need a lot more than passing exams to become a BI architect. You would need to have experience working on BI projects possibly as a developer and a LOT of experience in dimensional modelling and a very good understanding of one of the leading methodologies (most likely Kimball)

• steveb. (7/13/2010)

You should look at getting a MSBI certification, however you will need a lot more than passing exams to become a BI architect. You would need to have experience working on BI projects possibly as a developer and a LOT of experience in dimensional modelling and a very good understanding of one of the leading methodologies (most likely Kimball)

Have you got a link for all of the requirements, Steve? Thanks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (7/13/2010)

:blink:

I think I have an URL where you can download experience. If I can find it, I'll post it here 😉

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• The certification is important but when you look at most business intelligence architect job description its the knowledge, skills and experience.

one can be a business intelligence architect in a number of areas eg Oracle, SQL Server. So choose which area you want and look for the certification pr training available for their suppliers.

• Mushana (7/16/2010)

one can be a business intelligence architect in a number of areas eg Oracle, SQL Server. So choose which area you want and look for the certification pr training available for their suppliers.

Be aware of the skills demand in your area. I have found that many skill sets have strong local impact. My area is big on Oracle products and Cognos and much less on SQL Server BI. I took me a pretty long time to find SQL Server BI work in my area when I was looking. Watch the job ads in your area for a while to get an idea of the demand.

On your original question the SQL server, MS Exams 70-446 for 2005, and 70-452 for 2008 are the more architect style exams for BI. To me though a very strong understanding of Dimensional Modeling, that usually comes from experience, is really the requirement for becoming a BI architect.

Good luck.

• da-zero (7/14/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/13/2010)

I think I have an URL where you can download experience. If I can find it, I'll post it here 😉

No need for the SA comment here... if you cite something, you should provide a link. 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/16/2010)

da-zero (7/14/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/13/2010)

No need for the SA comment here... if you cite something, you should provide a link. 😉

Here you go:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-448&locale=en-us

@oyvind.rogne:

Although this certification is really technical, it will help you understand the MS BI stack. It is my believe that to become a good architect, you should have a firm grasp of the technologies that the developers will you to implement your design.

@jeff: It took me some time to figure out what SA stands for 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• da-zero (7/17/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/16/2010)

da-zero (7/14/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/13/2010)

Here you go:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-448&locale=en-us

@oyvind.rogne:

Although this certification is really technical, it will help you understand the MS BI stack. It is my believe that to become a good architect, you should have a firm grasp of the technologies that the developers will you to implement your design.

@jeff: It took me some time to figure out what SA stands for 🙂

BWAA-HAAA!!! What's really ironic is you were spot on with the "experience" thing. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Maybe a explanation of how you would go about getting the experience needed to become one would be helpful. I would be interested to hear this as well. Also how would one get a good grasp of dimensional modeling? Any good places to start with learning that and getting advanced knowledge in dimensional modeling? I have read the MS BI certification books but I dont think it really gives a good explanation on learning the modeling aspects.

Thanks,

Mike

• mike mcneer (7/19/2010)

Maybe a explanation of how you would go about getting the experience needed to become one would be helpful. I would be interested to hear this as well. Also how would one get a good grasp of dimensional modeling? Any good places to start with learning that and getting advanced knowledge in dimensional modeling? I have read the MS BI certification books but I dont think it really gives a good explanation on learning the modeling aspects.

Thanks,

Mike

I've found the word "experience" to be the ultimate "Catch 22" unless you're very, very handy at making up large amounts of test data.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply