BCP Command Error using path that contains space?

• Can anyone tell me how to specify a filepath or filename with a space in a BCP command?

Thanks in Advance!!

**Error Message:Unknown argument 'images.bat' on command line.

**Command:BCP "select 'copy \\chevrolet\data\SALES\ImagesStckNbr\'+ replace(stocknumber,CHAR(34),'')+'_*.JPG \\chevrolet\data\SALES\ImagesOld\'+replace(stocknumber,CHAR(34),'')+'_*.JPG ' from CIF.dbo.InventoryVehicles i where datediff(dd,solddate,getdate()) between 7 and 14 and displayonweb=1 and i.storeid=2" queryout D:\temp\modify images.bat -c

**This is successful without the space

**Command:BCP "select 'copy \\chevrolet\data\SALES\ImagesStckNbr\'+ replace(stocknumber,CHAR(34),'')+'_*.JPG \\chevrolet\data\SALES\ImagesOld\'+replace(stocknumber,CHAR(34),'')+'_*.JPG ' from CIF.dbo.InventoryVehicles i where datediff(dd,solddate,getdate()) between 7 and 14 and displayonweb=1 and i.storeid=2" queryout D:\temp\modifyimages.bat -c

• in dos command line you can wrap paths with double quotes

select 'copy "\\ really long path or whatever.txt" ... '

• Indeed, use the double quotes.

Merry Christmas!    ß Click Here

Ronald San Juan | SQL DBA
    ID 710124 ~ Code "Northwind"

• Thanks, that worked!

• I've been wondering about this for a long time. I've tried to do commands like this:

bcp dbname.dbo.tablename out C:\Documents and Settings\impact1.dlm -Sserver -Uuser -t\t

and they will not work. I've tried single quotes, double quotes, different positions, etc. It complains about the 'and'.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Hi Ted,

I had the same problem.  This code below works for me (a small sample from my production code)....

-- Use BCP to output the view

declare @storeid int set @storeid = 1

declare @drive varchar(10)

if @storeid = 1 set @drive = 'C:'

declare @nfilename varchar(255)

set @nfilename = '"'+@drive+'\Program Files\Interflow\Internet\NEW'

DECLARE @Cmd varchar(500)

SET @Cmd='BCP "selectstocknbr,yr,mk,mdl from inventory.dbo.vwAutoTrader i where i.storeid='+cast(@storeid as varchar)+' and newused=''NEW'' " queryout '+@nfilename +' -T -c -t,'

EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @Cmd

Hope that helps!  Kim

• Thanks so much for responding.

Hmm, master.dbo.xp_cmdshell .... wonder if that's something I'm allowed to do?

Well, I don't know what I've been doing wrong for months, but it worked like a charm today! I just put double quotes around the whole file path, like I thought I had been doing. This is my first day back after being out sick for a couple weeks, so maybe my head's just cleared and the brain is functioning.

Sorry to bother you,

Ted

• Hi Ted,

Glad to hear you got things working!

Just wanted to post a note about xp_cmdshell.  You can find some good info by looking at Books On Line (BOL) about the command.  Basically, it allows you to issue a dos command.  I use it some administrative scripts to copy files from one directory or another or to ftp files.  Using xp_cmdshell allows me to do it right from a stored procedure in SQL Server.

Kim

From BOL:

xp_cmdshell

Executes a given command string as an operating-system command shell and returns any output as rows of text. Grants nonadministrative users permissions to execute xp_cmdshell.

• Cool, Kim, thanks so much, I will look into it as soon as I get a chance. Believe it or not, I am tied up with a rush project modifying a bunch of mainframe stuff right now.

Ted

• thanks a lot

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply