Basic SQL Query question

• Hello,

I was given this SQL question and was hoping someone could please help me understand the query? Thank you, J

SQL CONCEPT 1 Please write the result for the following query Table1 name 1.

A 2. B 3. C Table2 name 1. B 2. C 3. D Select t1.name, t2.name FROM Table1 t1 INNER JOIN Table2 t2 ON t1.name = t2.name

• What's to understand?

INNER JOIN removes records from the result set where no matching values exist on both sides of the join. So t1.Name and t2.Name will never have null values in your result, because that's what an INNER join does as opposed to an OUTER join.

• Thank you I appreciate your insight. So the result would be A? since it is not null and since the matching values were removed? And the remaining value for Table 1 is A / The remaining value for Table 2 is D.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  jjevans.
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• from ChatGPT

Query Explanation

Given Tables:

Table1Table2
    AB
    BC
    CD
    SELECT t1.name, t2.name
    FROM Table1 t1
    INNER JOIN Table2 t2
    ON t1.name = t2.name

Breakdown:

1. Select Statement: The command SELECT t1.name, t2.name specifies that the output should include the name columns from both Table1 (aliased as t1) and Table2 (aliased as t2). The output columns will show identical values in each row where there is a match.
    2. From Clause: FROM Table1 t1 indicates that the data retrieval starts from Table1, which is referred to as t1 in this query.
    3. Inner Join Clause: INNER JOIN Table2 t2 tells the database to combine rows from both Table1 and Table2 wherever there's a match, based on the condition specified in the ON clause.
    4. On Clause: ON t1.name = t2.name is the condition for joining. It specifies that the join should occur where the name column in Table1 matches the name column in Table2.

Result of the Query:

t1.namet2.name
    BB
    CC

Each row shows a pair of names that exist in both tables, indicating successful matches based on the conditions set by the INNER JOIN.

• deleted, duplicate

• thanks Jonathan for great instructions

I'm Smithloo, working for web development company

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply