Basic

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Basic

• A source supporting that answer would be nice. As it stands now its more an assumption.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• ASCII, ANSI, EBCDIC are out of date. Unicode rulez 😀

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
    © Dr.Plch

• Mushana (8/6/2010)

http://www.psexam.com/MCQ-Collection-for-Fundamentals-of-Computer/computer-fundamentals-objective-questions-mcq-with-solutions-set-5.html

More assumptions (and no data to support the answer). Someone writing the same question/answer somewhere else doesnt make it true. If i where to create a website and put the question there and put the answer to EBCDIC. Would that make the answer true? No offcourse not.

• I'm not sure that ASCII is really (now) the correct answer.

Most systems these days fundamentally support Unicode (with ASCII being an effective sub-set (UTF-8)).

• I thought it was a trick question... Unicode definately should be considered to outbar ASCII, don't understnad why it wasn't an answer.

Thought there's still a large set of mainframes that use EBCDIC, so went with EBCDIC.

Ah well... win some loose some.

• I'd agree that Unicode is more of a universal standard than ASCII is these days, but given the options provided, ASCII would definitely be in front, I think--the fact it's used on tens of millions of PCs as opposed to a few tens of thousands of mainframes suggests that, if nothing else!

• Paul, fair point...plus all the websites that have been built using ASCII... I used to be a web dev, so should know better.

• "The most commonly used character encoding on the World Wide Web was US-ASCII[9] until December 2007, when it was surpassed by UTF-8.[10][11][12]"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

My gut told me the answer was going to be ASCII because it sounded like a Tech-100 beginners class question. 🙂

• I always chuckle when Wikipedia is cited as a reference. Wkipedia, although a nice place to look up stuff (you basically find anything you are looking for), is not always a reliable source, in fact, it is prohibited to be used as a reference in colleges and some schools.

Not to say that the information provided is not correct. There's plenty of instances where you find proper source citation to make it perfectly valid and reliable.

This just reminds me of a Dilbert strip[/url] 🙂

• It's a valid answer and if there actually is supporting documentation for any of the answers, then someone please post it. I doubt that you will find it.

I knew the answer I was going to select before I saw the list, and I got a chuckle out of seeing BCD on the list.

Good Friday QotD. Thanks.

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • Interesting question. Thanks

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Richard M. (8/6/2010)

I always chuckle when Wikipedia is cited as a reference. Wkipedia, although a nice place to look up stuff (you basically find anything you are looking for), is not always a reliable source, in fact, it is prohibited to be used as a reference in colleges and some schools.

Not to say that the information provided is not correct. There's plenty of instances where you find proper source citation to make it perfectly valid and reliable.

This just reminds me of a Dilbert strip[/url] 🙂

My daughters can't use Wikipedia as a source in their schools, but I tell them it can still be a starting point leading you to more reliable sources that can be used.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply