Bad Eyes

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Bad Eyes

• I wish you the best.

As for monitors.. ~20 years ago I had a monitor to an amiga (old computer) that would give me a sunburn. If I sat in front of it for a few hours I would be a bit red or a lot if I sat really long. That can not have been good... maybe the company selling the monitor knew it was not healthy maybe they didnt. It often feels like companies does not have to take responsibilities for their actions and products.. I'm turning 30 and have nearly no eye issues. I have a couple of black very small scar damages in an eye, doctors does not know how it happens, but it takes its presence as a couple of very small black dots that can be seen throu. In Swedish the term is glaskroppsavlossning or flyvision. Oh yeah, they shoot some lacer in my eye around the damage the found thou I dont think that did anything but prevented more damage, they said the scars were healing..

When I was a child of 8, started to think I ether could see spirits or that I was going insane. Because when looking up at a clear blue sky I could see these very small white dots that flew around. Apparently that is normal too.. Going insane that is hehe

• One concept that has floated around for many years (and I find it works fairly well) is for those with more than 1 monitor, ensure that they are at different depths (distances) from your eyes so that they have to refocus (even a little) when you switch between them. Your iris is a muscle and like any muscle, disuse causes atrophy.

If you only have 1 monitor, force yourself to look at something else periodically, get out of your chair even; this is usually recommended by OH&S at any rate.

-d

• David in .AU (7/12/2011)

One concept that has floated around for many years (and I find it works fairly well) is for those with more than 1 monitor, ensure that they are at different depths (distances) from your eyes so that they have to refocus (even a little) when you switch between them. Your iris is a muscle and like any muscle, disuse causes atrophy.

If you only have 1 monitor, force yourself to look at something else periodically, get out of your chair even; this is usually recommended by OH&S at any rate.

-d

That's interesting. Never thought of it, but I have 2, different size/resolution. I also have them slightly different depths, which means I move a few windows around at times. I currently make liberal use of the Windows 7 zoom feature now as well, often making things bigger as I age.

• O' and sleep.

Fatigue is also a major source of general eye strain.

I have found this to be true for myself as when I have a run of late nights (for no particularly good reason :-P) then my eyes start to give me grief at work looking at my screens.

When I get some rest, they go back to normal.

-d

• I have a couple of black very small scar damages in an eye, doctors does not know how it happens, but it takes its presence as a couple of very small black dots that can be seen throu. In Swedish the term is glaskroppsavlossning or flyvision. Oh yeah, they shoot some lacer in my eye around the damage the found thou I dont think that did anything but prevented more damage, they said the scars were healing..

That sounds a little like retinoschisis: http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/patientcare/conditions/retinoschisis.html.

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
  • When I remember, I try to focus on other things in the office. That seems to help.

• I believe the rumor started with the CRT monitors being bad for your eyes. I'm not a doctor but my eye doctor specifically told me that the CRT was bad for my eyes and backed it up with a statement. He said that the text is blurry compared to text on paper and your eyes are trying to focus on it causing your lens to constantly adjust.

Not sure if this holds true for the LCD monitors since the dot pitch is much better and especially being digital, you get a sharper display of text. Of course that is only if you use the native resolution of your monitor. Some of my colleagues like to change their resolution to 800 x 600 to get larger text (or whatever the equivalent is on a wide screen) and it is very blurry to me. They also end up with horizontal scroll bars on several windows because some applications assume you have higher resolutions than that and are using the application maximized.

• When I used to work solely on CRTs, I'd get some pretty bad headaches. But, as I've switched to all LCD monitors over the years, I've noticed it's been easier on my eyes, and I tend to get fewer headaches. I still need to adjust the brightest, contrast or temperature sometimes, though.

• I have 'sensitive' eyes and certain repeating patterns, like bright sunlight through slatted blinds, will trigger auras. Flourescent lights usually seem too bright as well; I'm one of those that prefers to work in the dark.

I've found that I will get auras after either working with lots of data in a spreadsheet-type view (usually trying to cobble together a report out of an excel sheet that someone has that seems like it will be quick but which never ends up being the case), or when doing graphics design (so I'm staring at small, zoomed-in portions of the screen and focusing on more details.

I started a new job which requires more sitting and staring than I previously had, so I take a few more bathroom breaks than normal to get myself up, walking around, and not looking at my screen.

• cengland0 (7/12/2011)

I believe the rumor started with the CRT monitors being bad for your eyes. I'm not a doctor but my eye doctor specifically told me that the CRT was bad for my eyes and backed it up with a statement. He said that the text is blurry compared to text on paper and your eyes are trying to focus on it causing your lens to constantly adjust.

Not sure if this holds true for the LCD monitors since the dot pitch is much better and especially being digital, you get a sharper display of text. Of course that is only if you use the native resolution of your monitor. Some of my colleagues like to change their resolution to 800 x 600 to get larger text (or whatever the equivalent is on a wide screen) and it is very blurry to me. They also end up with horizontal scroll bars on several windows because some applications assume you have higher resolutions than that and are using the application maximized.

I think that is generally true about LCDs vs the old tube monitors. The problem I have is that the LCDs are sharper and easier to read so I tend to work longer between breaks. That may negate the benefits of the sharper LCDs.

I would be interested to know if our line of work is benefitted by the laser eye treatments. Has anyone had that and does it help with seeing the text and graphics on the screens?

• OCTom (7/12/2011)

I would be interested to know if our line of work is benefitted by the laser eye treatments. Has anyone had that and does it help with seeing the text and graphics on the screens?

I had eye surgery but not by a laser. Mine was Radial keratotomy to correct my 20/450 vision to 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. It's great to drive without glasses; however, now I need glasses to see up close. I cannot see the small text on the monitor without reading glasses and I never needed reading glasses before the surgery.

• OC Tom (7/12/2011) I would be interested to know if our line of work is benefitted by the laser eye treatments. Has anyone had that and does it help with seeing the text and graphics on the screens?

I had LASIK about 5 years ago and it has been great not having contacts or glasses. Lately though, I have felt that my eyesight is starting to worsen. I think it is because I am working longer hours without eye rest. I used to work in an office more often so I was constantly going to meetings or getting interrupted so my eyes were being drawn away from the screen. Now that I work from home most of the time, I end up sitting at the laptop for 3-4 hours at a time without really looking away. I also end up sitting in the dark more and I think the brightness of the screen compared to the darkness of the room is straining my eyes too.

• Please, go download Flux[/url] if you work after dusk or if you prefer a dark room. The warm colors it changes your monitor to are ideal for reducing eye strain. Regardless of your light situation, go get Workrave[/url] to force yourself to take micro-breaks from your monitor and workspace. I use both and have maintained my 20-20 vision despite 10 hours in front of a computer each weekday. Workrave even has you take mini-breaks to stand up and stretch. You can customize how long each type of break is and how often to take them, though I recommend not straying too far from the defaults.

Another thing you can do is hold your hand in front of your face (about a foot away), then look "through" it or "beyond" it. Find a spot in the distance, focus your eyes on it, then use your hand to block the path of your vision while maintaining your focus on the distant object. This exercise relaxes your eyes after having them focus such a short distance for so long (on your monitor).

• cengland0 (7/12/2011)

OCTom (7/12/2011)

I had eye surgery but not by a laser. Mine was Radial keratotomy to correct my 20/450 vision to 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. It's great to drive without glasses; however, now I need glasses to see up close. I cannot see the small text on the monitor without reading glasses and I never needed reading glasses before the surgery.

It is common that the eyes changes with age. Go to the doctor and check it out, I'd bet he would suggest a new surgery to correct the changes which has happened with your eyes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply