Backup will not run on new backup tapes

• We currently have our SQL Backup going to a DLT tape drive.  When we put a new tape into the rotation, it will not back up to it.  It says that it cannot find the correct media name on the tape and then it fails.  I have tried using the format, init & skip switches on the backup database statement but they are not working.  I thought using these switches would cause it to initialize the tape and put a new media name on it if there was not one on the tape.  Am I wrong in thinking that is the way it is supposed to work?

As a workaround, I have considered taking the media name out of the backup statement so it won't check for it.  What kind of things am I setting myself up for if I do that?

Thanks for the help!

John

• Try backing some Windows files on the tape drive.

GO to Start -->Programs --->Accessories--->Backup. Try backing some txt file on Tape using this utility. If this works, then sql server backup shud also work. If this fails, then there has something to do with your tape drives. See if the tape device shows under Hardware devices.

Hope this helps.

--Kishore

• We have run into this problem a lot too.

I like to run "Format" on new tapes using the Native Windows Backup Utility as noted in the reply above.  The SQL Server Backup "format" handle does not seem to do the trick.

Good luck

This seems to work for us.

• Thanks for the replies.  yes, I am able to backup other files to the tape drive.  Our Windows backup runs fine no matter what tape we use.  We were trying to get around having to manually format the tapes every time we put a new tape in cirulation but if that is what we have to do, then we will do it. 

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply