Backup to the Clode - No Excuses

• It seems like a lot to send over the network for a large datacenter; we have enough issues just getting them from disk to tape every day.

I took a quick look and we have about 8 TB daily of compressed SQL Server backups for just one site.

• Robert.Smith (8/10/2009)

...The US Patriot Act, for example, left those of us outside the US scrambling to ensure that no private or confidential data was being stored on servers in the US where it could be subject to arbitrary search and seizure. I'm not interested in going through that again...

Guess that works, as long as you're sure that your own government won't give up the info on request from the US. Or your ISP, or tape storage center, etc.

US network providers have been very compliant (cowardly) about giving up info to Chinese authorities seeking to suppress dissent without even requiring warrants from US courts.

• We've been backing up to the 'cloud' for a few years now, but the size of our databases are not so large as to cause a problem, I guess.

Or, since the backup company we've subscribed to uses the VSS shadow writer to capture disc-writes and sends those every 15 minutes.. maybe their's just not too much there to cause a bottleneck... I really have no idea exactly how much it sends through the pipe, but it's not noticable. And the test-restores work just fine.

Of course, we also back up db's nightly, and tranaction logs hourly (to a separate sever), and back up those backups to tape nightly, too.

I don't bother taking the local, physical backups off-site anymore since we have the copy 'out there'.. they're for my own comfort and convenience.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark
    Just a cog in the wheel.

• Brad: I have to ask, is there a way for you to fix the title of this thread? The article title is correct, the thread title references backing up to "the Clode". Doesn't actually matter, but I'm enough of a compulsive proofreader that my attention just keeps sticking on that point.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Brad: I have to ask, is there a way for you to fix the title of this thread? The article title is correct, the thread title references backing up to "the Clode". Doesn't actually matter, but I'm enough of a compulsive proofreader that my attention just keeps sticking on that point.

I have asked for the typo to be fixed, as I don't have permission to do this myself, and I am still waiting for it to be fixed. I hand off the content to others, and they enter it into the system to be published.

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• Backing up to the cloud is definitely a niche solution, best for smaller organizations, with smaller databases, that don't have the financial resources for a more complete disaster recovery solution. So often, I see SQL Server backups as smaller companies that are not stored offsite, and using the cloud for backup is much better than not having any offsite storage at all.

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• Brad M. McGehee (8/10/2009)

I have asked for the typo to be fixed, as I don't have permission to do this myself, and I am still waiting for it to be fixed. I hand off the content to others, and they enter it into the system to be published.

In other words... the editing (and responsibility) is somewhere in the cloud...

ironic, no?

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Brad M. McGehee (8/10/2009)

Brad: I have to ask, is there a way for you to fix the title of this thread? The article title is correct, the thread title references backing up to "the Clode". Doesn't actually matter, but I'm enough of a compulsive proofreader that my attention just keeps sticking on that point.

Assumed as much.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• jay holovacs (8/10/2009)

In other words... the editing (and responsibility) is somewhere in the cloud...

More accurately perhaps in the mountains, or off camping or something like that. Translate, Steve's on vacation and should be back tomorrow.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sorry for this maybe stupid question but what does "moving to the cloud" really mean?

Is it outsourced data storage?

Thanks for your replies

• "The cloud" is a generic terms that refers to storing data on remote servers over the Internet. This could be a privately owned cloud, or a third-party cloud. Many companies, including Microsoft, are beginning to offer services to store data (of any kind), in the cloud. Check out Microsoft Azure and SQL Server Data Services to learn about what Microsoft is doing.

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• Thanks a lot Brad for your answer ... A french expression says: "I'll fall asleep cleverer this evening" 🙂 Thx

• Brad, this is certainly another option to consider in the range of backup solutions. Perhaps balanced by other factors already mentioned: data size, bandwidth capacity, and so on. For some risk profiles, such as corporate data from unstable parts of the world or collecting remote sensing data on ships and such inaccessible locales, dumping to the cloud might be the first option. One govt agency did that with earthquake data for example. I can see justifying these would take a lot more than weighing costs of backup versus costs of replacement.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply