backup Size Differes from DB File Size

• Ok, I'm hoping this is an easy question.

I've got a table with 24 Million rows.  Its primary key was a nvarchar 44.  I had to up the size to nvarchar 50.  After doing this, my db size grew from 34 GB to 51 GB.  I can understand this since the index file had to grow also.  Last night's backup shows a .bak file of 35 GB, while the mdf size remains at 51 GB.

Should my DB have increased this much with only a 6 character increase?

Do i get any benefit from shrinking the DB to recover this extra 17 gb.

Should I shrink the trans log file?

I've seen a lot of posts about not shrinking dbs due to fragmentation, but if this is a one time field size change can I get away with it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-r.

• Can you check how much freespace available in MDF out of 51GB.

Less the freespace available from total MDF file size and this will be you backup size.

• If you have not added a lot of data the size should not increase since your key/index is varchar. Only the exact amount of data needed (plus a nullability and length value) are stored.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Yep, thats what I thought.  Even though the size increased there are only about 20,000 recs in which the nvarchar data increased from 44 to 45 characters.

After a reindexing, backup, and a day to or too to let the data simmer the actual data size is up from 34 GB to 35 GB.  The mdf is at 51 GB so I have about 16 GB free space.  I could really use this free space back on the drive so my question remains;  Should I shrink the mdf file?

I've seen a lot of posts about not shrinking dbs due to fragmentation, but if this is a one time field size change can I get away with it without incurring too much fragmentaion?

Thanks for the advice!

• If you shrink the data file then you're going to fragment your indexes, guaranteed. What you can do is shrink per file with the TRUNCATEONLY option or rebuild the indexes into a new, smaller filegroup and then drop the old one. See my post at http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverstorageengine/archive/2007/04/15/how-to-avoid-using-shrink-in-sql-server-2005.aspx for more details.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Thanks Paul! I'll check it out and post my results.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply