Backup Failed but backup file is created

• No, I used standard script task to to issue the command 'backup database xxx to disk ='\\yyy\xxx.bak'

• Do you guys have any theory of what happened?

• Yes. SQL Server occasionally loses it's mind on such things. Over the last 16 years of using SQL Server, I've given up on trying to find the reasons. It appears to be because of spurious pips on the network when you have a waxing moon with the correct angular displacement to certain sunspots and the Red Wings are playing a home game on a rainy day but only during high tide and the coffee machine across the room is cycled. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• HI Team,

I have one question ,when you terminated the backup activity ,did you received any error in windows event viewer and sql server error log. Can please let me what is error you have received .

• HI Team,

I have one question ,when you terminated the backup activity ,did you received any error in windows event viewer and sql server error log. Can please let me what is error you have received .

• This issue occurs every time we backup over the network during traffic time

• Is there enough disk space space avaialble on your source drive?

• I occasionally experience similar issues when backing up to a network share. When this occurs I'll run RESTORE HEADERONLY, RESTORE VERIFYONLY, then I'll restore it to another system and run DBCC CHECKDB. If it passes all three, I'm comfortable.

Here is my question:

How can the backup file is created when the backup command is terminated?

Here is one example (may or may not be your case) that may answer your question:

http://stujordan.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/sql-server-compressed-backups-fail-with-setendoffile-error/

• Have to say we did have seemingly random errors on backups when backing up to a network drive. After lots of searching we put them down to network blips!

'Only he who wanders finds new paths'

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply