Backing Up Master

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Backing Up Master

• Philosophically speaking, how can "I don't know" be a wrong answer?

I looked right through the correct answer in the documentation (not enough coffee yet) so I clicked the answer that was appropriate and yet still got it wrong.  I didn't know so the correct answer was "I don't know" but that wasn't right but I didn't know so it had to be right and now I'm just glad it's Friday.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Neil Burton wrote:

Philosophically speaking, how can "I don't know" be a wrong answer?

I looked right through the correct answer in the documentation (not enough coffee yet) so I clicked the answer that was appropriate and yet still got it wrong.  I didn't know so the correct answer was "I don't know" but that wasn't right but I didn't know so it had to be right and now I'm just glad it's Friday.

I'll remove that one. It's not a great choice, though I can make it one :). Actually all do that and make it correct.

• Thanks, Steve, for the question. I wonder, though, if master is in Full recovery, but its log can't be backed up, does the log file just keep growing?

Thanks again.

-- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Great question. I haven't tested, but I'd assume so.

However, it's also possible that it's always in simple no matter what you set 😉

• Heh... as with a lot of things, the correct answer is "The MS Documentation on the subject is not clear on this subject".  😉

It reminds me of the documentation on doing PiT restores in the Bulk-Logged recovery model.  The main article basically says "not possible" but other articles correctly identify that it is possible if the PiT is in a log file that doesn't have any Bulk-Logged activity.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I submitted a PR to fix things, but the MS people actually found a few more, so they are working to make this clearer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply