Back in the saddle

• Ninja's_RGR'us (8/25/2011)

Grant Fritchey (8/25/2011)

SQLRNNR (8/25/2011)

GilaMonster (8/25/2011)

SQLRNNR (8/25/2011)

Grant Fritchey (8/25/2011)

... and Sharepoint and the business, and some PowerShell, and search engines, and a little NoSQL and...

Really, this is a public forum... We should refrain from such vulgarities:Whistling:

Oracle, Biztalk, nHibernate, Linq....

CRM, Dynamics, Access, Foxpro...

Whoa! Hold up. Access is not allowed.

AKA => Access Denied :-D.

ROFLMAO!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

My job description is simple.

Get in here, butt in chair & and make sure that stuff works.

They don't care about the acronyms!

I work for a rather large, billion dollar a year, company. We have more defined roles, Although there is a bit of flexibility. We unfortunatly don't have a single DBA. Instead duties are split between developers and the network admins on an ad hoc basis. I do however work closely with one of the SAN admins here to manage the database servers. He teaches me the server admin side of things and I teach him the developer side of things. We have basically become each other's go-to guy.

• brandon.leach (8/25/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (8/25/2011)

My job description is simple.

Get in here, butt in chair & and make sure that stuff works.

They don't care about the acronyms!

I work for a rather large, billion dollar a year, company. We have more defined roles, Although there is a bit of flexibility. We unfortunatly don't have a single DBA. Instead duties are split between developers and the network admins on an ad hoc basis. I do however work closely with one of the SAN admins here to manage the database servers. He teaches me the server admin side of things and I teach him the developer side of things. We have basically become each other's go-to guy.

Not really far behind. 9 figures / year here. And we only have 4 guys doing all the it stuff plus a consultant once in a while.

Agreed it's not 10, but I wouldn't see us go to 40 guys for 10X the business either.

Not really far behind. 9 figures / year here. And we only have 4 guys doing all the it stuff plus a consultant once in a while.

Agreed it's not 10, but I wouldn't see us go to 40 guys for 10X the business either.

I wish 4 guys could run the whole thing. But its just not possible here. We operate with 70+ plants spread out over multiple continents. Our help desk alone has 9 people and can barely keep up. Our Server and storage teams are smaller. A lot of it is also beuracracy, as with any other large organization. There's also constant auditing of systems.

The reason I feel we need a dedicated DBA is that the database servers are critical to the business. If there is an outage, plants and branches go down across entire regions. Never mind if data is lost and needs to be recovered.

• ACK!!! I step away from the computer for a bit and come back to SSC and I see all the things that I wanted to forget and now remember I need to come up to speed on! Cursors ack! brings me back to the old days; and so many more questions to ask. I don't remember who mentioned NoSQL and I have no clue of what that is. Do I dare look it up?

Brandon, I did what I thought would be a small consulting job. It was with a leading tire manufacturer who wanted a simple reporting system for their external sales force, hey no problem 2-4 weeks max. I went in for the first consult and found that their back-end was an Access 97 database.:w00t: They were pretty emphatic NOT to upgrade to the latest version, let alone a newer version. I thought OK... they wanted the system on an intranet so I could program with .NET and use the Crystal reporting tool. It was like a game of twister with me losing. I don't remember how it was done as it was nightmare that I had to forget for my sanity, but I believe I talked them into paying the licensing fee for the Crystal reporting tool. What I thought was a 2-4 week job ended up to be 4 months of h***.

I want to thank everyone for commenting in this thread, even those with a narrow view who are fortunate enough to work in a company where their IT department has clearly defined roles that 99% of the time never happens in the real world; at least not in my experience.

I guess I need to take all those hats out of retirement and clean them up. 😛

• NoSQL is basically a database that is not an RDBMS. It is worth looking it up and learning more about it. It has huge downsides, but also has some decent upsides. It heavily depends on your database needs

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• The 10,000 foot view on NoSQL: It's an eventually consistent data-layer that allows for multi-site editing. It's not transactionally consistent across all nodes, but "eventually" gets there. Imagine Merge replication, roughly, but with better implementation.

One of the major players in NoSQL is Facebook. It doesn't matter if someone sees your status immediately so it eventually gets to all the nodes in the Facebook infrastructure, though your 'local' one is immediately updated. This can, as you can imagine, create some conflicts so you'd want to avoid it for banking software and the like. From what I've heard, however, Amazon has managed to implement a NoSQL structure for their sites as well, but I don't know the details.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (8/25/2011)

The 10,000 foot view on NoSQL: It's an eventually consistent data-layer that allows for multi-site editing. It's not transactionally consistent across all nodes, but "eventually" gets there. Imagine Merge replication, roughly, but with better implementation.

One of the major players in NoSQL is Facebook. It doesn't matter if someone sees your status immediately so it eventually gets to all the nodes in the Facebook infrastructure, though your 'local' one is immediately updated. This can, as you can imagine, create some conflicts so you'd want to avoid it for banking software and the like. From what I've heard, however, Amazon has managed to implement a NoSQL structure for their sites as well, but I don't know the details.

If "eventually" means "in the limit", and "the limit" is "the time of the heat death of the universe" I guess I agree with your first two sentences. There may even be a less extreme concept or the limit, like "whatever time period ensures, given the application and the load, that some sort of consistency relative to the start state will be reached by the end of that period". I guess there are some applications that can cope with those rather weak concepts of durability and consistency, cope with short term jitters as long as they are ironed out in the long term; but I suspect that there are far more applications that can't.

Of course there are at least four different concepts of "NoSQL" and I don't really know which one you mean. Originally there was the idea that the Korn Shell language (or any of the other primitive Unix shells) could be regarded as a database language. Then there was Strozzi's idea that a database, although it should be relational, shouldn't expose a relational language to its user. Then his modified version of that - as no relational language was exposed, there was no requirement for a relational core. And most recently, the idea that a DBMS doesn't have to support any of the ACID properties in the short term, as long as C and D are there in some sense in the (perhaps unboundedly) long term.

Another view is that NoSQL (not in Strozzi's original sense, but as the word is used today) is a hole into which those who think we don't need a general model for data but can do everything ad hoc can happily dig themselves ever deeper.

Tom

• suddenly christi finds a huge gust of wind flying over her head.

😛

• Evil Kraig F (8/25/2011)

The 10,000 foot view on NoSQL . . .

10,000 feet is the optimum altitude for aerial reconnaissance. I take it you are speaking with authority!

🙂

• Can someone point me to a good article on derived tables vs temp tables in regards to performance?

I didn't want to start a whole new thread as this pertains to writing in my blog. I don't want to get into this but part of my illness wiped out a ton of my memory in every aspect of my life. That is about all I want to say about that.

• I have downloaded all of the ebooks, including best of SSC, if that is where I should begin let me know. I just want to be sure I am writing correctly before I put it on the internet for all to see. 😛

• Christi Wilson (8/25/2011)

Can someone point me to a good article on derived tables vs temp tables in regards to performance?

I didn't want to start a whole new thread as this pertains to writing in my blog. I don't want to get into this but part of my illness wiped out a ton of my memory in every aspect of my life. That is about all I want to say about that.

Hopefully the following article will be helpful to you.

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/2002/derived-temp-tables/2/

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Thank you Welsh

I have taken what has been stated on new items in SQL:

RANKING functions

such as ROW_NUMBER()

new data types

new CLR types

new options with indexing

TRY/CATCH statements in T-SQL(YAY!!~)

APPLY operator

others found on the internet

PIVOT /UNPIVOT

OUTPUT

TOP N

CTE's

MAX specifier

Hierarchical(Recursive) queries

MAXRECURSION

INTERSECT

EXCEPT

OUTPUT_CLAUSE

SYNONYM

TABLESAMPLE

REPEATABLE

Cross APPLY

Outer Apply

Are there still some that I haven't found? (hehehe)

• Christi Wilson (8/26/2011)

REPEATABLE

Not a keyword by itself and not new.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply