Back in the saddle

• Hi everyone! I hope some of you can help me out.

I was a database programmer for 6 years and due to illness I had to take about 6 years off. In that time 2 versions of SQL Server came about. (2005 and 2008). I really want to get back in the saddle and go back to sql programming.

Can anyone tell me where to start? I have downloaded all the free eBooks on this site and started reading. I have done everything in my position of DBA and prefer the programing rather than the administration (hardware.)

I have downloaded sql server 2008 r2 express and searched online for many tutorials. Would it be wise to download the trial sql server 2008 r2 trial version? What about 2005?

I played around with the express and I noticed that it is case sensitive. is that true? Or what was I doing wrong?

Thanks in advanced to all who can help! I have really missed programming and am anxious to get back to it full time.

• Hi Christi,

First, welcome back and congrats on beating your illness.

If you can afford it, I'd buy a copy of the "Developers Edition". I don't know what the latest price is but I've heard anywhere from $45 to $120 depending on what version you buy (2k8 is cheaper than 2k8 r2 if you can still get 2k8). Then, download the appropriate copy of "Books Online" and the "Adventure Works" database. Books Online will have some tutorials to get you started especially on the programming side of things.

Of course, this cite is excellent for information. There are a huge number of really decent articles written by some real pros. Of course, as with any site or book, there are also some "dogs".

Last but not least, some of the certification books can be a pretty big help. Of course, none of those teach some of the "black arts" that really separate the pros from the casual developers but they're very good for catching up on some of the new features.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thank you Jeff.

I don't know if it is from my illness or there were many changes from 2000 to 2005 (we were evaluating 2005 when I had to leave) I am not up to working full time yet, but I want to prepare and get up to speed with SQL Server in order to market myself, I would say in about 6 months minimum. I would like to take the time to really learn hands on the changes (plus remembering) in SQL Server. I never cancelled my email subscriptions from here and have occasionally read the emails.

I just need a starting point. I am really disciplined and would like to take the next 6 months learning everything I can. There is only so much I can do with AdventureWorks database. :-P.

Thanks for your help! like your sig line and links.

Christi

• In that case, lookup the new ranking functions. ROW_NUMBER() has revolutionized the ease with which formally complex queries can now be resolved.n The read up on Common Table Expressions which are like "Derived Tables" in FROM clauses but put in the right place in the code. Then lookup EXCEPT and the other "new" intersection clauses.

If you were "hot" in 2000, search for "New features SQL Server 2005" and "New features SAQ Server 2008" to find the rest.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Again, thank you Jeff!

you gave me a starting point and that is what I needed. I don't know if I was "hot" in 2000, but I could hold my own with some of the best. One thing I love about data, you always always always learn.

I do have a hosting site that includes 20 SQLServer 2008r2 databases. I thought it might be a fun idea to document my transitioning from SQL 2000 up to 2008. Perhaps it would help others who are new to this fun field.

and Jeff, I remember you from years back, I always appreciated your valuable input. Hope to see you around in the other forums when I can graduate out of the newbies section. 😛

Christi

• I occasionally drop in on other forums but SQLServerCentral.com is my "home". I'd also love to hear about your transition from SQL Server 2000 to 2008 as I'm sure thousands of others would. Consider writing an article here, Christi. I know people would love it.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Another thing to take a look at are some of the new data types, especially the CLR types, and some of the new options with indexes. Those things made a big impact on a lot of the work we did back on 2000. That's in addition to the stuff Jeff mentioned.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Jeff Moden (8/18/2011)

f you can afford it, I'd buy a copy of the "Developers Edition". I don't know what the latest price is but I've heard anywhere from $45 to $120 depending on what version you buy (2k8 is cheaper than 2k8 r2 if you can still get 2k8).

Currently Amazon.com has 2k8 r2 developer edition a lot cheaper (at $44.24) than 2k8 developer edition (at $149.95). Like Jeff, I expected it to be the other way round, but in practise it isn't.

Tom

• Jeff,Tom and Grant,

Thank you, I am suddenly inspired by all your input. What my plan is:

Create a blog that:

Shows step by step how to create a database by script and right clicking. Most all of my procedures will be by script as that was the type of DBA I was/am, focusing on the why's you create tables in a relational way. Indexing indexing indexing!!!! Backups and recovery...when a database becomes suspect (always hated that) etc. This will give me a review of the old and a learning of the new.

I am doing this blog style so I can receive questions and input. I would love for the more experienced DBA's to challenge me if i become too simplistic. I will also focus on the 3 ways to find answers BOL, SQLServerCentral.com, google. if those three fail (which is almost impossible) then ask questions here.

I was also big on SQL DMO, I guess it is now SQL SMO?

I am going to create a fictitious business that needs a DBA who also has experience with .NET. One of the needs is to create a program for an accounting department using the knowledge previously learned. By the end I should be able to market myself with the experience needed to be hired. Plus it will also show online documentation of my skills for those reading my resume.

If anybody has any other ideas, please let me know. I will post the link to my first blog entry here as soon as I have everything up and running.

Again, thank you all for input, it is appreciated immensely.

• If anyone knows a good blogging software that has the ability to post code would be greatly appreciated.

• Christi Wilson (8/21/2011)

If anyone knows a good blogging software that has the ability to post code would be greatly appreciated.

WordPress is excellent. There are several plugins that work well with code. I use SyntaxHighlighter2, possibly not the best one available, but it gets the job done.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Funny you should say that Grant, I was just looking at the webpage discussing Highlight source pro! [/url]

Glad I am heading in the correct path.:-P

I also just discovered an awesome section here on SSC and that is the "Stairways" area. Lots of great information to be obtained there. I always started my day with a cup of coffee and the daily email from SSC. I cannot describe my enthusiasm of "getting back in the saddle" of SQL programming and development again.

• Christi,

Another big addition is error handling. Be sure to look up TRY/CATCH blocks. I use them religiously.

Todd Fifield

• Okay, I have been getting my ducks in a row to get this started. Only thing I need is a domain name and I cannot think of one. 😛

I also have a question about citing another persons work. For instance, I have read a lot of the eBooks here on SSC, some of the books refer to an important detail of what I want to cover and do not know the rules of citing information. Should I link to the ebook and cite page and paragraph? Sometime I want to cover some point of information, but someone else says it so much better! I do plan on using just a few lines to back up what I am doing not the whole book (but I will encourage them do down load and read the ebook). Can anyone help with citing?

In my blog I plan to discuss how imperative it is to use BOL, tech books,eBooks, SSC (I will encourage people to register here for the daily emails- I cannot tell you how many times that helped me! They are a wealth of information just begging to be read) msdn and finally let them know that google is their friend. Then when all else fails post your question here.

• tfifield (8/22/2011)

Christi,

Another big addition is error handling. Be sure to look up TRY/CATCH blocks. I use them religiously.

Todd Fifield

are those in SQL Server? If so, I say YIPPPEEE!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply