Back in the saddle

• Speaking of back in the saddle, I can't help but think of this song 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDKxUt9UkmU

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Welsh Corgi (8/24/2011)

Speaking of back in the saddle, I can't help but think of this song 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDKxUt9UkmU

took a much needed break lol Thanks Welsh

• Christi Wilson (8/18/2011)

Hi everyone! I hope some of you can help me out.

I was a database programmer for 6 years and due to illness I had to take about 6 years off. In that time 2 versions of SQL Server came about. (2005 and 2008). I really want to get back in the saddle and go back to sql programming.

Can anyone tell me where to start? I have downloaded all the free eBooks on this site and started reading. I have done everything in my position of DBA and prefer the programing rather than the administration (hardware.)

Hi christi, its administration is not hardware... atleast you have 6 years of experience still u couldn't identified difference in development & adminstration....

You should have know the fact that.... DATABASE Administrator knows more than Developer...because all you do in development is a part of DBA's knowledge & work...and apart from it he does lot many activities....

Please make sure what is reality, before you comment anything....

Sagar Sonawane
    ** Every DBA has his day!!:cool:

• Saga... (8/25/2011)

Christi Wilson (8/18/2011)

I was a database programmer for 6 years and due to illness I had to take about 6 years off. In that time 2 versions of SQL Server came about. (2005 and 2008). I really want to get back in the saddle and go back to sql programming.

Can anyone tell me where to start? I have downloaded all the free eBooks on this site and started reading. I have done everything in my position of DBA and prefer the programing rather than the administration (hardware.)

Hi christi, its administration is not hardware... atleast you have 6 years of experience still u couldn't identified difference in development & adminstration....

You should have know the fact that.... DATABASE Administrator knows more than Developer...because all you do in development is a part of DBA's knowledge & work...and apart from it he does lot many activities....

I do know the difference. In my previous job I was the one who picked out the hardware (servers) did all of the RAID arrays, installing the server and sql software, um lets see, I had to do all of the performance monitoring fix many things that the software developers messed by hardcoding the queries in the applications, I created all new databases, tables, indexing, UDFs, views, jobs, DTS, reporting etc etc etc. Pretty much a lot for only one person. I prefer just doing the creating databases, view, stored procs for the software programmers to use . I also like creating dts packages, udfs, etc, you know the stuff database progammers do.:-P

• Christi Wilson (8/25/2011)

Saga... (8/25/2011)

I do know the difference. In my previous job I was the one who picked out the hardware (servers) did all of the RAID arrays, installing the server and sql software, um lets see, I had to do all of the performance monitoring fix many things that the software developers messed by hardcoding the queries in the applications, I created all new databases, tables, indexing, UDFs, views, jobs, DTS, reporting etc etc etc. Pretty much a lot for only one person. I prefer just doing the creating databases, view, stored procs for the software programmers to use . I also like creating dts packages, udfs, etc, you know the stuff database progammers do.:-P

Yeah you are right...but now days...things are changing.... DBA's are in much demand.... as they do both things... I am a DBA but i never do the hardware stuff. Just wanna say that....IT world changes in short span of time....Everyone needs to be updated.... 😎

Sagar Sonawane
    ** Every DBA has his day!!:cool:

• Saga... (8/25/2011)

What an appallingly silly and narrow view. Developers are often generalists who have to know everything that a DB Administrator knows a good deal more besides - someone has to know the whole system from how the hardware hangs together through the OS and the DBMS and the computations required in the application to the interfaces seen by the users, and this is far more often a developer than a DBA. Yes, there are developers who are incredibly narrow, who think that writing "clever" SQL code is all there is to databases, but there are also DBAs who are incredibly narrow and think that a DBA has no need to be able to write an SQL query or even to understand SQL, or to understand relational algebra or multi-valued logic - and I would employ neither a narrow developer nor a narrow DBA, nor any developer with no respect for the DBA function nor any DBA with no respect for the developer function.

Tom

• Saga... (8/25/2011)

I'm a developer. I'll happily test my knowledge against a database administrator any day.

I've known many DBAs that couldn't write a line of code, T-SQL or any other. I've known developers that were more qualified to admin the servers than the admins were. I've seen DBAs that know more about server administration than the server admins. I've also seen developers that couldn't write a line of code without someone telling them what to do, DBAs who were an outright hazard to their companies and server admins whose skills ended with 'install windows'

I could suggest the same to you.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Saga... (8/25/2011)

And apparently you can't identify the difference either. (But I'm jumping to conclusions here. Just like you did).

In my world, Database Administration, SQL Server style, is both hardware and software. I don't know what administration work you are doing that you don't have to keep an eye on your hard drives, memory, CPUs, and network cards, but it appears to me you aren't doing the full gamut of admin work that many DBAs are forced to do.

In my work place, I don't get to replace hardware, but I still have to monitor it, baby it, keep all the settings straight, and make sure it gets along with SQL and SQL gets along with it. Despite the fact that I use some software tools to make my job easier, that doesn't mean I'm only dealing with software.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster (8/25/2011)

Saga... (8/25/2011)

I'm a developer. I'll happily test my knowledge against a database administrator any day.

I've known many DBAs that couldn't write a line of code, T-SQL or any other. I've known developers that were more qualified to admin the servers than the admins were. I've seen DBAs that know more about server administration than the server admins. I've also seen developers that couldn't write a line of code without someone telling them what to do, DBAs who were an outright hazard to their companies and server admins whose skills ended with 'install windows'

My money's on Gail. 😀

Ok so what to buy with that new infusion of cash? :Whistling:

• Saga... (8/25/2011)

I am a DBA but i never do the hardware stuff. Just wanna say that....IT world changes in short span of time....Everyone needs to be updated.... 😎

Maybe you should change to say that everyone needs to be pigeonholed? This is not the late 90's anymore and IT people can't write their own ticket anymore. I would argue that a DBA should be involved in the hardware. Last time I checked sql server still runs on hardware. Unless you are at a large company you should be expected to wear more than one hat.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/25/2011)

Saga... (8/25/2011)

I am a DBA but i never do the hardware stuff. Just wanna say that....IT world changes in short span of time....Everyone needs to be updated.... 😎

Maybe you should change to say that everyone needs to be pigeonholed? This is not the late 90's anymore and IT people can't write their own ticket anymore. I would argue that a DBA should be involved in the hardware. Last time I checked sql server still runs on hardware. Unless you are at a large company you should be expected to wear more than one hat.

And if you want to stay employed at a large company you don't put all your eggs in one basket either. Learn SQL Server, sure, and Sharepoint and the business, and some PowerShell, and search engines, and a little NoSQL and...

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Ninja's_RGR'us (8/25/2011)

GilaMonster (8/25/2011)

Saga... (8/25/2011)

My money's on Gail. 😀

Agreed. And to further the point, I wouldn't want to be a challenger in either martial arts or SQL. :Whistling:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (8/25/2011)

... and Sharepoint and the business, and some PowerShell, and search engines, and a little NoSQL and...

Really, this is a public forum... We should refrain from such vulgarities:Whistling:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (8/25/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (8/25/2011)

GilaMonster (8/25/2011)

Saga... (8/25/2011)

My money's on Gail. 😀

Agreed. And to further the point, I wouldn't want to be a challenger in either martial arts or SQL. :Whistling:

That's why I'm glad she lives so far away from me :w00t:.

• SQLRNNR (8/25/2011)

Grant Fritchey (8/25/2011)

... and Sharepoint and the business, and some PowerShell, and search engines, and a little NoSQL and...

Really, this is a public forum... We should refrain from such vulgarities:Whistling:

Oracle, Biztalk, nHibernate, Linq....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply