Azure SQL database viewing security

• I am fairly new to Azure SQL database. Am I missing something or can you not view login and user properties, login/user mappings and database role membership in SSMS?

• Nope.    You can see some things in the Azure portal, otherwise it's a SQL Script.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• OK thanks for confirming, but what's the rationale? It's infuriating.

• jontris wrote:

OK thanks for confirming, but what's the rationale? It's infuriating.

That's probably a question for Microsoft.

But, if you think about it, there is not really a server behind an Azure SQL database.  The security and logins are handled in each database separately.  Doing a right-click in SSMS requires connections to all of the databases.  It's not that easy I'm guessing.

Michael L John

• Logins are not really a thing in Azure. I mean, they are, but they're not. It's down to users at the database level. It's key to always think of the database, not the server, local stuff, not universal stuff. The real issue with SSMS is that it's designed to support on-premises SQL Server instances. It's support of Azure SQL Database is a little bit glued together. Not everything has made it into the GUI. T-SQL is your buddy.

If it makes you feel better, Azure Data Studio, the purpose built development tool in support of Azure SQL Database, doesn't have any of that either.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• To my kind respondents, thank you once again, but I think you're much too understanding towards Microsoft. Personally I'm not impressed.

• jontris wrote:

To my kind respondents, thank you once again, but I think you're much too understanding towards Microsoft. Personally I'm not impressed.

In comparison to what other cloud database offerings?  What are your expectations?  That's kind of a strange statement, considering that all DBA tasks are available via T-SQL first, and the UI is second.  The majority of what I do is via SQL and not the UI.

There are many day-to-day tasks, in all RDMS systems, that require coding because the functionality does not exist in the UI's.

Michael L John

• Well, it's not worth arguing about. It was useful to have this information in GUI-fied form, and I can't see any rationale for not providing it.

• I can see some rational about this in terms of User -> Role Mappings at the database level, but from a server side, given that everything is a contained database and the server is more of a logical entity than an actual VM/Instance, doing things server side with logins will be pretty difficult I would believe.

As always if you have any feedback or want to see anything implemented you can post your feedback on the Azure Feedback site and see what Microsoft and the people over there have to say about it.

https://feedback.azure.com/d365community/forum/04fe6ee0-3b25-ec11-b6e6-000d3a4f0da0

• Oh, absolutely not worth an argument over. It's long been a bit of an issue the lack of support for Azure through SSMS. It's there... mostly, sort of, as long as you're too dependent on the GUI.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• jontris wrote:

To my kind respondents, thank you once again, but I think you're much too understanding towards Microsoft. Personally I'm not impressed.

Heh... Being one that doesn't have such a understanding for companies like Microsoft and I try not to make any such pleasant excuses for such horrible quality in design, function, performance, scalability, and regression errors, I can only equate it to the "Stockholm Syndrome".  They can't even understand what the utility of having a native sequence generator function would be (after 14 years, they just up and closed Erland Sommarskog's original request, for example).

https://www.verywellmind.com/stockholm-syndrome-5074944

It's just crazy what people end up putting up with and it's not just with cloud stuff .  Even the on-prem stuff has such junk going on.  Who else would tolerate the way Shrink-File, Reorganize, and Rebuild works and do so for more than 2 decades (yeah... I drank that same Kool-Aid for a long time, as well)?  Who else would write about how cool things like the horribly performance challenged FORMAT function is?  Who else would ship a new and "improved" SSMS that had and still has a shedload of regressive errors and feature losses?  I could list everything but I don't want to break this forum with such a long post.  Hell... even this forum doesn't send me email notifications anymore because their software can't handle the number of posts I'm subscribed to.

I've also given up trying to help with ideas because, if it's not high marketable, it's not going to get any traction.

Another way of putting it is "We're takin' what they're givin' 'cuz we're workin' for a livin'". 🙁

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Gosh, well my passions don't run quite so high. I think it's poor that SSMS doesn't support these basic functions in Azure SQL database but that's as far as it goes. But I agree entirely that "We're takin' what they're givin' 'cuz we're workin' for a livin'". The vagaries of first IBM and now Microsoft have kept me in gainful employment for nearly 40 years. Who am I to complain?

• Heh... it's why I complain... "A happy sailor is a bitchin' sailor". 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• It's funny.  While there is certainly a lot to be desired about various parts and pieces of SQL Server, what's better?

The original complaint was that SSMS didn't have the same functionality with Azure DB's as it does with on-prem DB's.

Let's use Oracle SAAS as an example.  SQL Developer or Toad are pretty much the "standards" in the Oracle world.  Guess what? You cannot use them to connect to your Oracle SAAS database.  The connectivity is with REST over HTTPS.  That's not how these tools connect, so too bad.  A whole army of developers are now forced to buy a third party tool, which does not allow you to do anything but a select.  Everything else needs to be done through an API.

There's a cliché here, I'm not sure which one though.

Michael L John

• I'm not saying anything's better. But login/user mappings and user/role membership are still very much part of Azure SQL database and I'm just surprised they're not supported in the GUI. As it must be in Microsoft's interests to attract customers to their cloud platforms, you'd have thought they'd want to make the transition as seamless as possible. But hey, what do I know?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply