Availability Groups

• I've been tasked with restoring a backup of a prod db to a shell db on another instance.

The shell database on the new instance is currently synchronized. From doing some research I found out that I have to take the database out of high availability before I can do a restore on both primary and secondary replicas, and then put them back in high availability again.

I have access to the shell db(primary replica) and from that instance I can see the listener, I do not know exactly how to get the name of the secondary instance so I can pull it up.. and I'm confused about how to find the secondary instance so that I can also be able to do a restore on there before adding them both back to the AG.

should I have been provided the information about where to find the secondary database(instance) or I'm expected to know how to find that myself. If so, how?

Thanks!

• amickey84 (3/2/2016)

I've been tasked with restoring a backup of a prod db to a shell db on another instance.

Hi- I'm not really sure why you're referring to a "shell" db here? A database is a database is a database.

You're correct though that if you want to restore a database in an AlwaysOn Availability Group (AG) you need to remove that database from the AG first.

To find out more about your Availability Group, expand the AlwaysOn High Availability Node in SSMS and have a look around in the sub-folders. HOWEVER, before you do anything you need to learn more about AlwaysOn AGs, or something could go badly wrong (especially if this is in Production). Take a look at Perry Whittle's Stairway to AlwaysOn here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/112556/

• Beatrix Kiddo (3/3/2016)

amickey84 (3/2/2016)

I've been tasked with restoring a backup of a prod db to a shell db on another instance.

Hi- I'm not really sure why you're referring to a "shell" db here? A database is a database is a database.

You're correct though that if you want to restore a database in an AlwaysOn Availability Group (AG) you need to remove that database from the AG first.

To find out more about your Availability Group, expand the AlwaysOn High Availability Node in SSMS and have a look around in the sub-folders. HOWEVER, before you do anything you need to learn more about AlwaysOn AGs, or something could go badly wrong (especially if this is in Production). Take a look at Perry Whittle's Stairway to AlwaysOn here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/112556/

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply