Assigning some week numbers

• Hi,

I'm self taught SQL and stuck on a problem with trying to assign week numbers to a table.

I have a table that has columns Date, Day of Week, Week Number.

The date is a serial format that the application front end uses. Looks like at present:

Date DOW Weekno

76161MonNULL

76162TueNULL

76163WedNULL

76164ThuNULL

76165FriNULL

76166SatNULL

76167SunNULL

76168MonNULL

76169TueNULL

76170WedNULL

76171ThuNULL

76172FriNULL

76173SatNULL

76174SunNULL

What I want to do is assign weekn numbers, so the first Mon to Sun will be 1, the second Mon to Sun will be 2 and so on.

Can't think of an update statement to get this, any help greatly appreciated.

Matthew

• Looks like you're trying to build a calendar table.

You should add a column with datetime format to make it easier to recognize the date. You could do it by using a persisted computed column.

You might also consider searching this site for some code snippets regarding calendar tables (search string: calendar table, for example this link[/url] ).

One thing to notice regarding week_of_Year and day_of_week used in this code: the functions used will not result in the ISO week or the day_of_Week you might expect. See BOL (BooksOnLine, the SQL Server help system) for details.

Regarding date functions I also recommend Lynn's great blog post

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Thank you for your reply.

I'm not building a calendar table. I'm calculating something which requires totals to be broken down into weeks. It could just as easily be blocks of numbers that have to be broken down into groups of 7. What I can't figure out is how to assign the first block of 7 the value 1, the second 2 etc.

Thanks,

Matthew

• Assuming you don't have an additional column that will number your rows starting with 1 you could either use ROW_NUMBER() or subtract the min(DATE) from your DATE column and add 1.

assuming the former approach you could use

SELECT (ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY [Date]) -1)/ 7 +1

Lutz

Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Hi Lutz,

I've tried this, and it updates every weeknumber to be 1.

Perhaps I am putting it into the Update incorrectly. I need to examine the syntax and figure out what is ahppening, but at present:

update #holcalc set weekno = (SELECT (ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY [Date]) -1)/ 7 +1)

Thanks again.

Matthew

• Ok, here's the code including test data setup.

Please note that there a few people around (including myself, usually) who expect sample data in a ready to use format (as shown below).

Especially, if the OP has a significant number of visits... 😉

DECLARE @tbl TABLE

(

DATE INT, DOW CHAR(3), Weekno INT NULL

)

INSERT INTO @tbl

SELECT 76161 ,'Mon', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76162 ,'Tue', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76163 ,'Wed', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76164 ,'Thu', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76165 ,'Fri', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76166 ,'Sat', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76167 ,'Sun', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76168 ,'Mon', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76169 ,'Tue', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76170 ,'Wed', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76171 ,'Thu', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76172 ,'Fri', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76173 ,'Sat', NULL UNION ALL

SELECT 76174 ,'Sun', NULL

;

WITH cte AS

(

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY DATE) AS ROW,DATE

FROM @tbl

)

UPDATE t

SET Weekno=(ROW -1)/ 7 +1

FROM @tbl t

INNER JOIN cte

ON t.Date=cte.Date

SELECT *

FROM @tbl

Lutz

• Hi,

I've managed to successfully adapt this to solve my problem. Now I'll have to spend some time trying to understand exactly what is happening.

Point noted about the data provision.

Many thanks,

Matthew

• The concept is rather simple:

the CTE or "common table expression" is nothing but a subquery (at least in this case), just easier to read.

The purpose is to number your rows ordered by Date column.

The result is something like

ROW DATE

1 76161

2 76162

3 76163

4 76164

To calculate Weekno, I took advantage of the way SQL Server does integer division: an integer divided by another integer will return an integer again.

For example, "SELECT 1/7" will return 0, "SELECT 7/7" will return 1.

Since I want to go to the next group every 7 days, I need to subtract 1 from the Row number. This will retun 0 for the first seven rows, 1 for the next seven and so forth.

But you wanted to start with 1 as the first group number, so I added +1 to the calculation.

And, finally, I joined the two tables and changed the value for Weekno.

Lutz

• m.dunster (7/11/2010)

Hi,

I've managed to successfully adapt this to solve my problem. Now I'll have to spend some time trying to understand exactly what is happening.

Many thanks,

Matthew

Cool. Thanks for the feedback but please post your solution. It's just good forum ettiquette. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• m.dunster (7/11/2010)

Hi,

Many thanks,

Matthew

I hope so this time because this isn't the first time, Matt. 😉

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic788057-1291-1.aspx#bm788397

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• lmu92 (7/11/2010)

Ok, here's the code including test data setup.

Please note that there a few people around (including myself, usually) who expect sample data in a ready to use format (as shown below).

Especially, if the OP has a significant number of visits... 😉

Heh... Especially if the OP has been told before. 😉

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic788057-1291-1.aspx#bm788397

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/11/2010)

m.dunster (7/11/2010)

Hi,

Many thanks,

Matthew

Cool. Thanks for the feedback but please post your solution. It's just good forum ettiquette. 😉

Ok, when I use the term 'adapted', what I really mean is change the table names to suit my database. 😀

Through your example for creating the data...I have learnt about table variables and will now be replacing all my temp table work !!

• m.dunster (7/12/2010)

Ok, when I use the term 'adapted', what I really mean is change the table names to suit my database. 😀

Through your example for creating the data...I have learnt about table variables and will now be replacing all my temp table work !!

Just because you've seen someone using table variables doesn't imply any learning effect ...;-)

I'd consider Wayne's excellent article[/url] including the discussion as a resource someone can use to gain such knowledge. But not the code snippet I posted.

I strongly recommend against replacing all temp tables with table variables!! Each one has its own advantage and disadvantage.

Lutz

• LutzM (7/12/2010)

m.dunster (7/12/2010)

Just because you've seen someone using table variables doesn't imply any learning effect ...;-)

I'd consider Wayne's excellent article[/url] including the discussion as a resource someone can use to gain such knowledge. But not the code snippet I posted.

I strongly recommend against replacing all temp tables with table variables!! Each one has its own advantage and disadvantage.

I agree with Lutz - read Wayne's article. 😀 Also, you might be interested to note that most of the guru's on this site rarely use table variables.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• m.dunster (7/12/2010)

Don't do that. It could be the worst mistake you'll make in the near future. Table Variables are NOT a panacea and frequently offer much worst performance than Temp Tables. Like anything else in T-SQL, "It Depends" and you shouldn't make wholesale changes to your code Instead, you need to do some serious testing in each case where you intend to make a change.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply