Assembling Your Own Toolbox

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Assembling Your Own Toolbox

• One of the folders on my machine is called "DevTools" with the following contents. Some that I've highlighted in bold are ones that I use often and/or I think are particularly amazing. Sorry, nothing SQL Server specific for me these days.

.NET Assembly Strong-Name Signer
    AdExplorer
    AdFind.exe
    AgentRansack_828.exe
    baretail.exe
    BeCyIconGrabber.exe
    Calc
    cassandramanager_inst.exe
    ColorPix.exe
    curl
    DepedencyWalker
    dhcpsrv2.5.2
    DiffMerge
    DnsDataView
    DomainHostingView
    DotNet Reflector
    DotNetResourceExtractor
    dotPeek
    Err_6.4.5.exe
    ESEDatabaseView
    Expresso RegEx
    Extracting_Embedded_Image
    Fiddler2Setup.exe
    Fiddler4Setup.exe
    FileSpy
    FileZilla FTP Client
    FindAndReplaceInMultipleFiles
    FindAndRunRobot
    FindPrivateKey.exe
    Foxit PDF Reader
    gifsicle-1.89-win64
    HTML Help Workshop
    HxD
    ILSpy3.2
    Image Composite Editor
    InteropSignatureToolkit
    irfranview
    JRuler.exe
    klogg
    LdapAdmin.exe
    ldp.exe
    LinqPad
    MacroCreatorPortable
    MongoDB Client - robo3t-1.1.1-windows-x86_64-c93c6b0
    MySQL Workbench 6.3.8 CE (winx64)
    ntRadPing
    objsid-ResolveUserSID
    OpenHardwareMonitor
    Paint.NET
    ProcessExplorer
    pscp.exe
    putty.exe
    puttygen.exe
    regScanner
    Resource Hacker
    ResourceExtract
    ResourceHacker
    RichCopy 4.0
    Screen Recorder Old
    Screen Recorder Wink
    spacesniffer_1_3_0_2
    SqirlzMorph
    SqliteBrowser3
    SslScan
    SuperOrca
    SyslogWatcherSetup-5.1.0.msi
    TailBlazer.exe
    Terminals
    Undelete
    UndeleteDiskDigger
    UnFREEz.exe
    WebServiceStudio20
    Win64OpenSSL-1_1_1q.exe
    Win64OpenSSL_Light-1_1_1q.exe
    WinSCP
    Wireshark-win64-3.4.3.exe
    WmiCodeCreator
    WmiExplorer.exe
    XPathVisualizer 1.1
  • One place to keep important SQL-related information for me is SSC's Briefcase feature.  For a while after I became a member it wasn't working (at least for me using Chrome on my PC).  In the Forums the link to save to Briefcase is a button at the top of the page.  For scripts and articles there's a text link on the right side of the page.  Every now and then I reference my list of items

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• There are drawbacks to assembling your own toolbox by gathering tools from different sources. Steve mentioned one, maintaining the tools over time. There's also the inevitable inconsistency from one tool to the next. There's likely to be massive inconsistency in T-SQL coding style, conventions, and formatting. If the sources include blog post scripts, then many of the tools are likely to be very simplistic because they were written for a very specific purpose. Further, there's likely to be an enormous number of blog post scripts with a lot of overlapping functionality between them. They will not be organized into tools offering everything needed for particular tasks.

These are the problems I tried to solve for the community with SQLFacts, a free suite of 40 tools for SQL Server database engineers.

There's a series of five articles about SQLFacts right here on SQLServerCentral (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)! The toolkit has grown a lot even since those articles were written.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Wingenious.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Wingenious.

Creator of SQLFacts, a free suite of tools for SQL Server database professionals.

• Steve Collins wrote:

One place to keep important SQL-related information for me is SSC's Briefcase feature.  For a while after I became a member it wasn't working (at least for me using Chrome on my PC).  In the Forums the link to save to Briefcase is a button at the top of the page.  For scripts and articles there's a text link on the right side of the page.  Every now and then I reference my list of items

I do that too, Steve. Great feature, SSC!!

Rod

• kevin77 wrote:

One of the folders on my machine is called "DevTools" with the following contents. Some that I've highlighted in bold are ones that I use often and/or I think are particularly amazing. Sorry, nothing SQL Server specific for me these days.

Nice list. Do you use Chocolatey or another package manager for these? I used that and it's wonderful for resetting up a list of stuff. When I get a new machine, I look over my list to see if there's something I no longer use and then delete it before building the new system.

• Wingenious wrote:

There's a series of five articles about SQLFacts right here on SQLServerCentral (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)! The toolkit has grown a lot even since those articles were written.

We need an updated article!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply