Are You a Ten?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Are You a Ten?

• Personally, I put myself at about a 5. Yes, there are things I know well, but there are other areas that I know enough to get into trouble, and others where I may look like an apprentice. I know where to go for help, and I am confident that if I can't find the answer myself that there are others out there more than willing to give helping hand.

• Personally, I hate rating myself but I know I am still very low on the SQL Server rating. Somethings I know well and other things I think I know enough about till it brings me to my knees and I humbly have to acknowledge that I need to learn some more. Of late, I have really learnt the inportance of testing first then going live. I find myself thinking I know enough to go live with a program etc and then come smack bang down on my face again. With testing I think I rate 1 with the rest I don't know. Like you say Steve, know a lot about certain parts of SQL but man enough to acknowledge I do not know enough.:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• I guess that in today's world, knowing everything about any product is a physical impossibility. What matters most is:

1. You know what the product can do (not how!), and

2. As you put it Steve, "know where to get answers, or who I can ask for help"

I think asking for help is a mind set that is sometimes lacking. I personally think knowledge grows by sharing - the more you share, the more knowledge you will get and the more satisfaction you will get when you go to sleep (I personally have a great night's sleep if I have been able to help anyone during the day). Asking for help is not bad, and one should not shy from doing so. I sometimes ask for help from my junior team members as well - there's so much to do, and sometimes you forget - that's okay and asking for help ultimately gets the job done. However, one must be aware and not make it a delegatory habit (i.e. ask for help even if you know the answer simply because you don't want to take responsibility or spend the time & effort).

Coming to rating oneself, that is something that I would never do, because we culturally believe that it stops one's growth. The moment we rate ourselves, we start comparing ourselves against others, which ultimately leads to envy and downfall. I prefer enjoying the journey of enlightenment.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nakul Vachhrajani.
    http://nakulvachhrajani.com

Follow me on
    Twitter: @sqltwins

• Nice wording by Nakul.

I also say that rating yourself is not required or at least I am avoiding that. Due to SQL Server (or any nowadays any technology) is very huge like ocean and to know everything is not possible at all.

Whenever you face any issue, don't hesitate to take others help if it would solve your problem and save your very critical time. But, it should not be habit to ask help for each n every problem - at least spend enough time to solve the issue by yourself then ask others for help.

Thanks

• It's not so much as whether I am a 8 or 9 or 10 in my areas of expertise, what's frightening about the industry is how many people say they are 6 or 7 and are in fact 1 in application.

I've known may people who are way beyond me in a particular technology in a technical sense, but they can't write reliable and maintainable software.

And of course, Google has a lot to answer for.......

• Probably stating the obvious here but not even Google is a 10.

• This editorial begs the issue about being a Microsoft Master in SQL Server. The requirements were just changed. Now rather than requiring something like $20K and three dedicated weeks of one's time it requires that you do what it takes in your professional life to become a "10", have broad experience in SQL Server, study hard on those areas that your experience doesn't cater to, be MCITP in DBA and Database Developer, spend at a minimum $2500, pass a hard written test and, probably, an even harder hands-on test. But then after doing that, you could arguably claim to be a "10" in SQL Server. Isn't that what the MSM certification means?

• drnetwork (11/17/2010)

This editorial begs the issue about being a Microsoft Master in SQL Server. The requirements were just changed. Now rather than requiring something like $20K and three dedicated weeks of one's time it requires that you do what it takes in your professional life to become a "10", have broad experience in SQL Server, study hard on those areas that your experience doesn't cater to, be MCITP in DBA and Database Developer, spend at a minimum $2500, pass a hard written test and, probably, an even harder hands-on test. But then after doing that, you could arguably claim to be a "10" in SQL Server. Isn't that what the MSM certification means?

I'm going to disagree, just earning the MCM in SQL Server doesn't make you a 10. It just shows that you have an in depth knowledge of the product. How well you can apply and share that knowledge is a totally different thing.

• One of the greatest pieces of advice my Father ever passed down to my brothers, sisters and I was this...

"The power in knowledge lies NOT in what you think you know, but what you don't know because once you think you know something, you stop learning."

In my business career I have seen, time and time again, the impact of this statement. I have seen the arrogance of those who presume they know things, only to have their business careers shattered because they chose to stop learning. And in technology, things move and change quickly - thats why I would not hire anyone who presumes themselves to be a 10, or that they "know" most everything.

Give me a hungry and capable 5,6, or 7 with some ambition, and I will show you a person who will exceed expectations, become motivated by their own achievements, and continue to learn throughout their careers.

After all, if you want a great and recent historical example of "10's" who thought they "knew" something - look at Wall Street. They "knew" the party would never end, and everyone would get insanely rich. NOT!!!

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • I think we're back to defining what a 10 is. I don't think anyone can master everything in the SQL Server box and maintain it. Most of us end up with a good bit of broad knowledge and some areas of deep knowledge, the latter almost always defined by needs and challenges at work. Being a 10 feels like chasing a dream to me. Yet, if we don't endeavor to be better, don't we stop growing?

I don't ask my plumber if he is an 'expert', I ask him if he can solve the problem I have. Maybe there are plumbers that are a 10, but can they be that much better or faster that I care? Or command enough money to maintain the 10 status?

• There is an established psychological effect (I don't remember the name unfortunately) where people with less skill/knowledge actually tend to self rate higher than people with better skills.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I think many can be considered a 9 or 10 in some specific area of SQL Server and be a 1 in some other areas. No one can be a 9-10 in all areas. If they claim they are, they can't be trusted.

• Anyone who claims to be a 10, imho, is either a liar or too full of himself (or herself) as it is simple arrogance. I may rate myself a 5, but I strive to learn more and become better, but as many of us know, the more you learn the more you learn that you don't really know. I constantly have learned new things as I have helped others solve problems.

Some people won't rate themselves, but sometimes you have to just to see where you think you stand in your own career development. I will strive for that 10, but only my peers can really tell me if I have attained it. I know there will always be something new for me to learn as the product continues to grow and change to meet ever changing needs.

• jay holovacs (11/17/2010)

There is an established psychological effect (I don't remember the name unfortunately) where people with less skill/knowledge actually tend to self rate higher than people with better skills.

It's called "humility" 😉

Think it has to do with their confidence, if you KNOW you have all the skills you need, you're not afraid to say you don't know something. If you are afraid that you might not have what it takes, then you don't want to admit that.

*edit* - I'm a 10 by the way, in binary

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply