Are you a "hunt and pecker" or a "typist"?

• Nice topic by SQL Server Guru, Antares686, really "Anything that is NOT about SQL"

Its cool to read about other members, although I have not read all...and definitely don't wanna miss it...

Well, as of me, I am a "HUNT AND PECKER".

But since I started with my first programming job, approx. 16 months back, I have definitely improved. I try not to hunt, but make fair amount of mistakes...Just learning I guess!!!

IF U DON'T SEEK PERFECTION, U CAN NEVER REACH EXCELLENCE!!!

SD

Regards,
    Sachin Dedhia

• I mainly use a mixture and most fingers these days. I'm definately not a conventional touch typist but fast enough to keep most off my back. About 80 wpm most of the time. In built spell checker in my head keeps me on target when I hit a duff key!!

Ali

Ali

• I type about 65 wpm on a QWERTY keyboard. Learned typing on a manual typewriter in summer school back in the 70's.

A few years ago I decided to try Dvorak, but since the computer at work was still in QWERTY it was very difficult to switch back and forth, so I went back to QWERTY. Even so, my typing was messed up for weeks because my fingers didn't know which way to go anymore. Too bad, since Dvorak did seem to make a little more sense. Still not perfect, though.

My kids both type very fast - my older one has taken typing class (they call it "keyboarding" these days), and my younger son does the 2-fingers on each hand thing. He'll be taking keyboarding this year.

Dana
    Connecticut, USA
    Dana

• Hunt & 4 finger Pecker

• Touch Type, 60-80 WPM. 80 if you count backspace =)

-Ken

• I'm a Touch typist. When I first started in computers, I was a "Thumb typists" or "Hunt and Pecker" as you've defined it. The skill to learn to type is available to everyone. The primary thing to understand, is that positioning your fingers on the home row keys "asdf" (left hand) and "jkl;" (right hand) is the trick to learning to type without looking. Train yourself to keep your eight fingers on this row at all times. Then you'll find, your fingers will automatically learn where the surrounding keys are.

Developers and DBA's alike can only benefit from learning to type correctly. There are tons of typing tutors out there, and some are free. Those who can type 35wpm - 70wpm are much more productive, because they can wrap things out in a fraction of the time.

• hi,

i'm typist, but what's the meaning of wpm?

Antonio

• This is a very old thread! I am a touch-typist averaging 70WPM. My burst speed is definitely 100+ WPM, but I make a ton of mistakes, which is why three days ago I decided to convert to the Dvorak layout, the goal being a 100+WPM, error-free touch-typing rate. I was wondering how many other IT proffessionals out there used the Dvorak layout, and I'm stunned to discover that most responders to this thread don't even touch-type! This explains a little bit why the Qwerty layout prevailed all these years, even though it is less ergonomic and less efficient than Dvorak as shown by the research.

I am now averaging 15 WPM and on my way to typing glory. It's an extremely painful start, but after ten minutes of typing on Dvorak layout it became clearly evident that higher rates of speed are possible here. I converted all the keyboards I use to Dvorak, printed out a layout and affixed it to all my monitors, and plowing I go through the obstacles of fifteen years of backspacing my way on Qwerty.

• I'm a touch typist, though like Steve said at the beginning of the thread, not a conventional one. After many years I just "know" where the keys are, and hit them accordingly! 🙂

I think the best thing I ever did was borrowing my mums old touch typing tutorial which she'd had when she was young, and working through the various exercises on my dads typewriter. I was only in my early teens so didn't stick with it that long, but crucially it taught me the keyboard layout, and then from there it's just a matter of practice. I sure as hell can't do the whole "home keys" thing, but it works for me. Think the last time I checked I can range from 40 to 80 wpm, depending on thinking time, if I'm copying from something else etc.

Still, I have nothing but respect for those who had to use typewriters back in the day... No delete key, how'd they cope! 🙂

• I fall in to the typist category. Though now I don't do very much typing, my speed has definitely taken a turn for the worse. I used to type between 65-70 wpm and now I am down to about 35-40.

Joe

• I was a hunt and pecker when I was a kid, but I followed a course at school and now I'm a proud typist 🙂

However, in my country we use the AZERTY keyboard layout and I still can't type those damn accents right.

When I got a new laptop from my employer, I specifically asked for a QWERTY layout, so things are improving 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I am not a typist per se, but after years and years, I have muscle memory as to where the keys are, so I can get a lot of the words on the screen fairly quickly.

What's amazing is that I just "know" where the keys are on my iPhone and car nav system if the keys are QWERTY. If the display is in alphabetical order, I struggle.

• Same as Steves. I touch type, but not the "right way". During my programming classes i learn it. I can type pretty fast but not with the correct method with your Index on Letter "?" .:hehe:

• I never setup on the keyboard as a learned "typist" but I am fairly fast (my kids are even more so). Around 80wpm, accurately....just been in the business for 40 or so years,

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Typist. 99 WPM. And yes, those touch screens drive me nuts. Can't feel the key boundaries and there's not enough space between virtual keys for me to hit the correct ones. Same with the smart phones and their tiny physical keyboards.

Back in the day, my high school forced everyone who wanted to take computer programming to take typing first. You had to pass that class before you could touch a computer.

The funny thing is, I was only an average-speed typist (35-45) until I started MUSHing. When it became a case of "he who types fastest wins the fight," my speed and accuracy jumped by leaps and bounds. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply