Are you a "hunt and pecker" or a "typist"?

• "HUNT 'N' PECKER"

Did learn touch-typing way back when. Got up to about 60 WPM. Then I started working in mainframe environment. Those programmable function keys where a dream, reduced dozens of keystrokes down to single key, and my typing speed down to single figures

Now I hover around 15-20 wpm, 35 on a good day. On my PocketPC, I'd rather use transcriber than the keyboard, too much switching for symbols and numbers

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• i started off being a "hunt and peck" person until i really got into writing code. its was really frustrating at the start because i keep correcting my typos (imagine writing code in a case-sensitive language).

but my typing really improved a lot when i needed to type in the dark because i got addicted into playing a particular pc game and i had to turn of the lights so my parents wouldnt notice that i was still awake =). i had to memorize the location of the quick save keys, etc.

i now use maybe 3 to 4 fingers each hand and get maybe up to 60 to 80 WPM on a good day and type faster than most people i know.

• Hi,

I am a trained typist at about 40 wpm .... on a good day it can reach 80 wpm ....

I don't have any problem with PDAs with keyboards as I can remember where the alphabets are on the keyboard ..... I know where to look instinctively for each letter ......

Haven't really tried the dovak keyboard yet ..... would like to as it was advertised that one would be about 20% faster on a dovak keyboard .....

split keyboards can also be quite frustrating depending on where the split is ..... (different books on touch typing teach slightly different things about the keys near the split ..... )

• Advanced H&P here. I started out 20 years ago on my first computer with one finger. By now I use two fingers on each hand for the letters, thumbs for the space-bar, and little fingers for the Shift keys. I don't know my exact WPM score, but I'm as fast as most touch-typers out there...

• Typist. Dvorak at work, QWERTY at home. I have a Kinesis Classic at work. We have an MS Natural (split) and a standard keyboard at home.

I'm almost up to speed with a Dvorak keyboard now. I wouldn't go back to QWERTY for any serious typing.

I love my Kinesis. Most of my coworkers won't touch it, but I have two coworkers that have them.

For those interested:

Dvorak tutorial: http://www.karelia.com/abcd/ (Hint: if you are learning Dvorak with QWERTY keycaps, don't look at the board! It'll fry your brain.)

Kinesis keyboards: http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/

Steve

Steve Miller

• My coworkers call me "Johnny Two Fingers".

'Nuff said.

• Hunt'n'Pecker but use 2 to 3 fingers. I like the way some of my friends type who learned typing (u know, without looking at the keyboard). I too tried to learn it but there is always a problem for consistent avaliable time for anything other than computers. I think someday I will try to force myself to learn it becuase ideas come at a speed of light and, in my case, if I dont get it done fast I am bored.

Kashif.

• Hmm, interesting. I'm qualified RSA3 but can't touch type for toffee! I use all the fingers of the left hand, but only the index finger of the right hand (something freudian there I think). As for those odd bent-keyboards, I have no problem with them, but whoever designed the 'compact' keyboard for the server console shoved the pace bar across to the left and shoved the alt key to close to the middle of the keyboard.

I have now developed the fine art of typing long SQL commands in WITHOUT SPACES!!!!!

I swear I'm gonna change that keyboard when the Network Administrator isn't looking.

---------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

• I can type about 80 wpm (over 11k kpm on the 10-key with 100% accuracy). I was never "trained", just had to get my fingers up to speed with my brain and "hunting and pecking" wasn't going to get the job done. I basically forced myself to use the keyboard (even though I still stink at using the numbers-on the laptop with no 10-key). While my typing speed and accuracy are fine, I avoid keying like the plague-too many horror stories about carpal tunnel syndrome. If it can be copied and pasted, that's perfect-which is one reason I love this site! If it can be scanned, that's almost as good. If it has to be typed (because it's in my head or unscannable paper), I use Via Voice. I got the "snazzy" version, which allows you to actually do about anything. It was a long road to training it, but I'd rather talk and make a few edits, than to type the whole thing (and still have to make a few edits). In a worst-case scenario, I'll type.

Edited by - suestill on 05/16/2002 06:43:44 AM

• When I was in high school I told my mom that I was going to take typing. She thought I wouldn't need it and it would be a waste of time. One of the more 'useful' classes I took.

• QWERTY Typist here...

I did take typing way back in High School as well, and then didn't really use it for almost 10 years. I did however do a lot of work on an adding machine (remember them?) and then a calculator so my number pad skills were pretty good.

Starting with my first PC (an IBM 8088) I was surprised at how quickly the skills came back and even improved over time as I used the PC more.

• I'd say I qualify as a typist - however, I never really mastered the top line (the one with the numbers) without having to look. Funny, how you'd think that doing something for a good part of the day, would eventually improve the skill, but apparently from reading a lot of these posts, and from my own experience, that's not true without a conscious effort to do so. Type on!

• I taught myself to touch-type while I was at college, and it was one of the more productive things I did in that time.

I wish I had the time to learn the Dvorak keyboard, if only to use the keymapping while still keeping this QWERTY board plugged in to confuse cow-orkers!

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Ok, I've lurked here long enough. Time to jump on the bandwagon. I'm a trained typist and have been for 25 years. I can surpass 100 wpm depending on how long my manicurist has done my nails. Even in this day and age, I believe children should at least be taught basic keyboard skills (learning to type without looking at the keys). I sat both of my children down at a computer with Mavis Beacon at the age of 6. By the time they were 10, they were both typing 60 wpm. It's something I've never regretted. They are both about to enter college and can get their papers typed much faster than their friends!

• I use 3 to 4 fingers. If i use more then i have to use the backspace more often. I prefer the keybord instead of the mouse.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply