Are We Wasting Too Much Time Social Networking?

• Honor Above All ...

Kudos to life and you Jason !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I resisted SN for a long time, but eventually got dragged into Facebook. I didn't do much with it for a while until an old friend starting sending me friend suggestions. I live 2,000 miles away from where I grew up, so FB has been a way to get my roots back. With more and more friends turning up, I became addicted.

I'm forbidden from playing on FB at work, so I do it at home. After a few weeks of obsession, I realized that I was neglecting my husband and that some moderation was in order.

Now I still log on regularly, every other day or so, but I try to limit my time to 30 minutes. After all, I've already posted my prom pictures:hehe:

LinkedIn sounds useful and I'll probably join it. I have a MySpace account but don't do much with it. Gotta get my songs copywritten first.

I don't really have a use for Twitter. I might if I ran around with a hand-held computer, but I don't want to pay for the Internet for more than one computer.

• Unlike a lot of these commenters, I'm somewhat a fan of SN. I don't twitter, and I've left off my Space, but still spend daily at least an hour or two on facebook. Mind you, I don't do this at work! I do check my friends statuses on my cellphone periodically through the day. This has been a great boon to me, as I am able to keep up and communicate with my friends and family without using the telephone, which I've always disliked.

I still have time for online classes, playing with the kids, going out to dinner, playing online RPGs, and doing housework, so I don't think I am suffering as badly as you might think from my acceptance of the medium. I agree that as with most things, moderation here is key.

I usually go on LinkedIn once or twice a month to make sure everything is up to date--about as often as I look at my resume. I have it email me most of my other updates so I know when someone wants me, or something is going on in one of my groups.

😎 Kate The Great :w00t:
    If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where will you find time to do it again?

• I fully agree with the author. In fact I was always away from social networking sites and prefer to communicate over email, phone or in person (of course its my reverse order of preference). 🙂

• Agreed!

Social Networking is a great tool to connect (old) friends in different part of the world but as Mark put on it "balance", in terms of time, is very important.

• Time spent on social networking is definitely wasted. Wasted in regard to the fact that it could be more worthwhile to spend meaningful time in person with friends and relatives. What do these networked friendships amount to in the long term?? They are not worth the time taken away from families, friends or work and there are no benefits from them except what we Indians call "time pass".

• It's not either or. Some of my social networking friendships have brought me closer to people that I see once or twice a year at an event. There's definitely a connection, similar to what would have been a pen pal in years past.

Time spend social networking doesn't necessarily take away much from friends and family, and it doesn't mean that you don't spend time with them.

• It is my opinion that most of these social networking sites are a waste of time. Unless your looking for a job or if your in college; I don't find much use for them. I'm sure some of you had heard the story of a woman who was mugged and had to use Twitter to have someone call 911 because the mugger took her cell phone and she didn't have a landline at her apartment, only an internet connection. For many of us who work at a computer all day; I certainly don't want to be in front of one all night too. What's wrong with calling someone on the phone or dare I say actually personally visit someone?! Just my 2 cents.:-)

• Steve Jones Note that if you're not social in the real world, you probably won't like these things. If you don't like to talk about your life with co-workers, alumni, etc. this might not fit.

The thing is, I'm very social in "real life". Overly so, if anything. I make friends while waiting in line at the grocery store, that kind of thing. But I really just can't get into the online version.

I had a Facebook page, or maybe it was MySpace. I don't even remember which it was. Didn't much like it. I have a LinkedIn page, and I've logged in a couple of times in the last year or two. I play MMORPGs, and barely use the chat tools.

But in person, the main complaint is that it's hard to get me to shut up. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• carriem (3/31/2009)

It is my opinion that most of these social networking sites are a waste of time. Unless your looking for a job or if your in college; I don't find much use for them. I'm sure some of you had heard the story of a woman who was mugged and had to use Twitter to have someone call 911 because the mugger took her cell phone and she didn't have a landline at her apartment, only an internet connection.

Sounds like urban legend, unless you've got a link to a credible source somewhere's. Besides, it wouldn't be mugging if it happened in her apartment... Or if she returned from the mugging to the safety of her own apartment, dialing 911 was no longer required.

Now if it was just to complain about a mugging that happened in WoW, I can understand, but how'd that orc get her cell phone?

:hehe:

carriem (3/31/2009)

For many of us who work at a computer all day; I certainly don't want to be in front of one all night too. What's wrong with calling someone on the phone or dare I say actually personally visit someone?! Just my 2 cents.:-)

You mean, like, f2f? Why? It's so much easier to IM the kid upstairs to tell them to bring their notebooks downstairs for dinner in front of the TV with the family. You'd actually walk next door to the neighbors'? That's crazy talk! Those people don't even tweet!!

• GSquared(3/31/2009)

The thing is, I'm very social in "real life". Overly so, if anything.

My sentiments exactly. Social networking online has no relationship to social traits in person. I know plenty of stereo-typical tech types who have no in-person social life or skills, but chat and connect far and wide online.

The two realms do not equate at all.

• It goes both ways. It may or may not have a relation. You can't stereotype people using social networking at non-social in the real world.

There are plenty of SQL people I see in the real world that speak, run groups, and are very social using Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.

It's a waste of time if you

a) waste time doing it

b) don't get anything out of it.

• Exactly. My comments were in relation to the generalization that was made that one would probably like it more if they were social, such as:

"There's definitely a connection..."

and

"Note that if you're not social in the real world, you probably won't like these things. If you don't like to talk about your life with co-workers, alumni, etc. this might not fit. "

• Facebook and Linked in have both become a headache now. Rather than sending an email directly to me, friends now post messages on facebook and LinkedIn and then they wonder why I havent replied to them.

In the beginning it seemed fun, but soon it got boring.

Being married, job and 2 kids and a 100 other things to do. I personally find it difficult to visit social networking sites at the rate others do. I might visit once or twice a week or sometimes its just once ot twice a month and thats all I can handle.

Being a DBA. I dont find it amusing to sit down with my laptop at home again after having been in front of a PC for almost 8-9 hrs during the working week. I prefer my personal independence by doing other things like gardening, reading, playing video games, spending time with the family and friends personally.

I guess it comes to every individual on how they balance it.

• I don't do social networking at all. The nearest I get is regular use of a forum for my sailing hobby and the joy of that is we meet in person regularly at events, so there are very few regular posters that I can't put a face to. The forum keeps us in contact between events and allows others to join.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply