Are there any free resources/ebooks to develop database design and modeling ?

• I want to develop my skills in database design and modeling. I found out some books like "The data model resource book revised edition volume 1". But they are not free. Are there any books to learn these skills.

jiofi.local.html

router network

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  vijay41.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  vijay41.
  • My opinion - you get what you pay for.

The authors of the books need to make money, so they write books on what they know.

If free training is what you are looking for, there is always youtube or searches for blog posts or blogs/stairways on SSC.

Now, free isn't always bad either.  But I find that with a lot of free training (videos, books, blogs, etc.), you do get what you pay for.  There are some good books out there for free, but sometimes they focus on old versions of SQL Server or things that are not as much a best practice anymore due to advances in computer hardware.

Have you checked out the "Books" section on here?  There are multiple pages of books and there may be one that has what you are looking for.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Go to youtube and search for "database design course normalization" for starters.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• The "Stairway" series here are very good. Always worth a read regardless of experience/knowledge. Here are two examples:

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/steps/stairway-to-data-level-1-the-basics

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairways/stairway-to-database-design

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• I know it's not free, but it's good. I'd strongly suggest you be ready to invest in your own career and skills. Books are a pretty minor investment in the grand scheme of life.

Louis Davidson is one of the best teachers on basic database design and normalization. Here's a link to his book. Just get it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply