Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Bob Hovious 24601 (10/21/2009)

Emperor Paulpatine,

XML makes db design much simpler too:

create table XMLTable (ID bigint, Data xml)

...what's the ID column for? :laugh:

• Paul White (10/21/2009)

Bob Hovious 24601 (10/21/2009)

Emperor Paulpatine,

XML makes db design much simpler too:

create table XMLTable (ID bigint, Data xml)

...what's the ID column for? :laugh:

Very good point Paul. Why bother with the ID column? .... unless it's for linking purposes.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Sigh... I always over-design things.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious 24601 (10/21/2009)

Sigh... I always over-design things.

Before the XML data type, all data could be stored in tables with a no more than 4 columns. Now it can be done in tables with only one column.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (10/21/2009)

Before the XML data type, all data could be stored in tables with a no more than 4 columns. Now it can be done in tables with only one column.

So the next time someone proposes an EVA db do you say "Nah. Keep it simple. Just use an E db"?

• Bob Hovious 24601 (10/20/2009)

I have this odd vision of one of the "outsourcees" bringing a problem here for assistance, and then Wayne helps him out and finally sees his own code coming back to him, only they are getting paid for it and he isn't.

Not a problem... after they couldn't figure it out, I showed them how (didn't do it all, just enough to show them how to do it)... then sent a bill for $250/hr....

Now, let's see if I get paid...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GabyYYZ (10/21/2009)

I've been wondering if people who accidentally stumble onto the first page of the THREAD and casually go from page to page, not realizing how long it has grown? I wonder how long before they hit the double arrows to go to the end.

So THATS what those double-arrows do... 😛

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/21/2009)

Database Pork Chops

---------------------

4 large chops, bone-in

cayenne pepper

flour

sharp knife

trebuchet

With the knife, sharpen the end of the bones until they achieve a dangerous point.

Liberally coat the chops with flour, the better to identify the victim

Load the chop on the trebuchet

Add generous sprinkling of cayenne pepper to intensify the message

target developer

launch

Allow the flour and pepper to dissipate

Walk over and deliver your point again to a more willing audience.

With a recipe like that, this may be too bold, but I must take the risk...

Might I suggest replacing the cayenne pepper with some Naga Jolokia pepper. Properly ground up so it arrives as a mist... 😀

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/21/2009)

Database Pork Chops

---------------------

4 large chops, bone-in

cayenne pepper

flour

sharp knife

trebuchet

With the knife, sharpen the end of the bones until they achieve a dangerous point.

Liberally coat the chops with flour, the better to identify the victim

Load the chop on the trebuchet

Add generous sprinkling of cayenne pepper to intensify the message

target developer

launch

Allow the flour and pepper to dissipate

Walk over and deliver your point again to a more willing audience.

Ok... How'd you get my secret patented recipe? Like the ladies from Dunkin' Donuts used to say... "See you in court, Sonny!" 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

...why would you need more than one table? Seems inefficient :w00t:

Kit G (10/21/2009)

GabyYYZ (10/21/2009)

I've been wondering if people who accidentally stumble onto the first page of the THREAD and casually go from page to page, not realizing how long it has grown? I wonder how long before they hit the double arrows to go to the end.

I started reading The Thread when it was around 4k or so. Took me about 2 1/2 weeks of intermittant reading to catch up and it was around 6k when I did, I think. Now? We should probably have a medal or something for anyone who slogs their way through it. I enjoyed my slog though, it was very fun to read. You get swords and martial arts and science fiction and all sorts of things! Oh, and lots of instances of pork chops! How can you go wrong?

Did we ever have pork chops recipes on here?

🙂

Breaded Pork Chops

Ingredients

1 lb pork chop

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1/2 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon seasoning salt

water (Milk, Buttermilk or Egg Wash can be substituted)

oil, for frying

Directions

1. Mix dry ingredients in a resealable bag (Ziplock).

2. Rinse pork chops under running water. Toss them into a ziplock bag and shake, to coat well.

3. In a cast iron skillet, cook chops in enough oil to come 1/2 way up the side of the chops, for example - 1 inch chops need 1/2 an inch of oil, on medium high heat for approximately 4 minutes each side, until golden brown.

4. For the last 30 seconds of cooking the second side, increase heat to high, to cook the grease out of it

5. Blot on paper towels before serving.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Paul White (10/21/2009)

Alvin Ramard (10/21/2009)

...why would you need more than one table? Seems inefficient :w00t:

Why have tables? Store all your business data in a single XML file. Save a ton of money on database software!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (10/22/2009)

Why have tables? Store all your business data in a single XML file. Save a ton of money on database software!

I was on a mailing list where several people were serious discussing storing Genealogy data in an XML file instead of a database. It should work in that instance, but I still would not recommend it.

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (10/22/2009)

GSquared (10/22/2009)

I was on a mailing list where several people were serious discussing storing Genealogy data in an XML file instead of a database. It should work in that instance, but I still would not recommend it.

heh. But can it handle the relationships described in the song "I'm My Own Grampa"?

edit to fix typo

-- Kit

• Kit G (10/22/2009)

Alvin Ramard (10/22/2009)

GSquared (10/22/2009)

heh. But can it handle the relationships described in the song "I'm My Own Grampa"?

edit to fix typo

That should not be a problem for any good genealogy software. Hopefully there would be some sort of flag raise to indicate that something is not right.

Alvin Ramard

Viewing 15 posts - 8,731 through 8,745 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply