Are the posted questions getting worse?

• On a personal note, I just don't understand companies that post a webinar and, to register, they REQUIRE you have to provide your phone number and, frequently, a lot more information that I prefer to not expose (and so I won't).  I can understand needing an email to contact me with changes and cancellations but the default should be to not share such information and not automatically impose cookies rather than being able to "withdraw at any time".  That includes the offerings that have been coming from our benefactor, RedGate.

If the event impresses me, make sure the YOU, the company, have exposed YOUR contact information so that I can contact YOU!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I'm posting just because on the 'Active threads' view this says Jeff Moden has the last post, but the last one I can see is from Phil Parkin.  This isn't the first time this has happened where the last post isn't showing up.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• It's not the "last post" that doesn't show up.  It's the first post on a new page.  It's been a problem for a very long time just like the spam rows not being counted on the message counts, which mean that if you click on a given link, it will take you to the wrong post.

I know there have been some problems with WordPress and the like but this has quite literally been going on for years.  I wish they'd spend some time to fix it.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I had built some unit testing for the first time in tSQLt, then switched teams and moved away from SQL Server for a while. Now we've moved to databricks on Azure. Anybody using unit testing in databricks notebooks and have best practice recommendations they want to pass along?

https://docs.databricks.com/en/notebooks/testing.html#language-SQL

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Jeff Moden wrote:

It's not the "last post" that doesn't show up.  It's the first post on a new page.  It's been a problem for a very long time just like the spam rows not being counted on the message counts, which mean that if you click on a given link, it will take you to the wrong post.

I know there have been some problems with WordPress and the like but this has quite literally been going on for years.  I wish they'd spend some time to fix it.

You are right Jeff and after I posted I thought of that and was going to change my post but I thought some other great minded individual would understand what I meant. 😉

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

It's not the "last post" that doesn't show up.  It's the first post on a new page.  It's been a problem for a very long time just like the spam rows not being counted on the message counts, which mean that if you click on a given link, it will take you to the wrong post.

You are right Jeff and after I posted I thought of that and was going to change my post but I thought some other great minded individual would understand what I meant. 😉

I just wanted to make sure that other folks, who might be reading this to identify the problem and fix it, didn't misunderstand the problem. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Good Lord!  I've got more testing to do but I ran a simple "Tally CTE Function" test in 2017 and 2022 on my laptop.  The results are REALLY disappointing.

I asked Ed Wagner to run similar tests on his servers and it turns out this rather serious downturn in performance started in SQL Server 2019.  What the hell did Microsoft do?

And, just in case you're wondering, I turned off Query Store on the 2022 instance.

I've tried turning various things on the 2022 box off and on and no difference.

Between that and the GENERATE_SERIES()  defeating Minimal Logging (article coming out on that on the 18th) and the DATETIME rounding issues into the next day that started in 2016 (just touched on that in the "Combined DATE and TIME Columns" article that came out about a month ago), you've just gotta wonder if MS actually has anyone that actually knows how to test for both accuracy and performance.

Just imagine all the function code that people have made over the that uses some form of sequential number generation within the function because it took MS more than 2 decades to finally see the light!  Lordy!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Sorry.  Post deleted.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Between that and the GENERATE_SERIES()  defeating Minimal Logging (article coming out on that on the 18th) and the DATETIME rounding issues into the next day that started in 2016 (just touched on that in the "Combined DATE and TIME Columns" article that came out about a month ago), you've just gotta wonder if MS actually has anyone that actually knows how to test for both accuracy and performance.

Paraphrased comment by Bill Gates: "Testing? We don't need no sticking Testing. We have created a whole industry that not only does our testing, for free, but they also fix our bugs for free."

Sadly Gates was actually proud of that statement as well. Further frankly MS has not improved on that stance much if at all.

• Dennis Jensen wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Paraphrased comment by Bill Gates: "Testing? We don't need not sticking Testing. We have created a whole industry that not only does our testing, for free, but they also fix our bugs for free."

Sadly Gates was actually proud of that statement as well. Further frankly MS has not improved on that stance much if at all.

And now you know one of several reasons that I stopped applying for the MVP award.  I've also completely stopped even just visiting the "suggestion" site (formally known as CONNECT) never mind posting or upvoting suggestions.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Dennis Jensen wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Paraphrased comment by Bill Gates: "Testing? We don't need not sticking Testing. We have created a whole industry that not only does our testing, for free, but they also fix our bugs for free."

That sounds an awful lot like open source development 😛

• ZZartin wrote:

That sounds an awful lot like open source development 😛 

Yeah you can even say that perhaps MS made the first semi-open source software on a mega-scale. Except they choose to keep it proprietary so that they fleece everyone for billions of dollars.

That being said, the True open source community has been gaining major traction and popularity along with the various forms of Linux as a much more stable platform to run the software upon. Eventually, (and it is a great hope of mine to see it in my lifetime) I am sure that MS will go the way of IBM and become extremely less than they once were.

• Thanks for the post about SQL 2022, Jeff. I've reached out to my team and mentioned that we need to fix all the problems we're currently having with SQL 2017 and 2019 ASAP before we push anyone on to 2022 just to make sure none of our code adds to the problem.

Sigh.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• BTW, does anyone know if hardware (ISCSI controllers, CPU, memory) resolves the issues with 2022?

I know. Hardware shouldn't be required to fix bad code... but sometimes poor performance can be due to the wrong hardware being used from the get-go.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Good Lord!  I've got more testing to do but I ran a simple "Tally CTE Function" test in 2017 and 2022 on my laptop.  The results are REALLY disappointing....

We have seen this before.

😎

Performance concernce – SQLServerCentral Forums

Viewing 15 posts - 66,481 through 66,495 (of 66,668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply