Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

There's a push to use NOLOCK on everything unless the users absolutely cannot deal with dirty reads because "it improves performance." ACK!

Sounds like it's time to teach them about RCSI.

Indeed it does!  Just remember the extra 14 bytes per row (IIRC) and the bit of extra load on TempDB.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Grmbl, the /quiet installationswitch workaround for installing Access Ace drivers 32 and 64-bit side-by-side seems to have stopped working.

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

Grmbl, the /quiet installationswitch workaround for installing Access Ace drivers 32 and 64-bit side-by-side seems to have stopped working.

That's not the intent of the "quiet" switch.  The intent is to only install the 64 bit drivers without having to unload all 32 bit applications.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Jo Pattyn wrote:

Grmbl, the /quiet installationswitch workaround for installing Access Ace drivers 32 and 64-bit side-by-side seems to have stopped working.

That's not the intent of the "quiet" switch.  The intent is to only install the 64 bit drivers without having to unload all 32 bit applications.

It is?

Well, nevertheless it used to be possible to install the two ACE driver bitness versions side-by-side by utilizing that very switch. 🙂

https://datasavvy.me/2017/07/20/installing-the-microsoft-ace-oledb-12-0-provider-for-both-64-bit-and-32-bit-processing/

(I haven't tried that procedure recently though)

Must have been a non-intended side-effect then. 😉

• To be honest, I've never needed the 32 bit version and so I've never tried to install it in parallel with the 64 bit version.  That being said, you've piqued my curiosity... have you actually run into a situation where the 64 bit version failed to do something where the 32 bit version did not?

Like I said... not a challenge... just being curious about something I've never done.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

To be honest, I've never needed the 32 bit version and so I've never tried to install it in parallel with the 64 bit version.  That being said, you've piqued my curiosity... have you actually run into a situation where the 64 bit version failed to do something where the 32 bit version did not?

Like I said... not a challenge... just being curious about something I've never done.

a common situation to require 32 bit AND 64bit is for developers of SSIS.

Visual Studio is a 32 bit environment - so while developing you NEED the 32 bit version of all the drivers.

but while debugging developers most of the times do it in 64 bit - so it would also require a 64 bit of the driver.

add this to the fact that in many companies (or even on a per user basis) the Office install is 64 bit - if you are a developer with such an install, trying to install the 32 bit version would fail.

newer versions of office (click to play) make this even worst as they do not allow 32vs64 bit at all, neither does the base office install on this case expose the require drivers for other applications to use (they are there but only available to office applications to use)

so for a developer one would need to

• install ACE runtime 2010 32 bit
    • install ACE runtime 2013 64 bit with /passive switch

in order to allow both version of the driver to be installed (and this is an issue as 2010 version has "support and vulnerabilities" issues)

• Now that's super interesting.  Thanks for taking the time to explain all that, Frederico.  I really appreciate it.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• The reason I can think about the posts are because of may Accidental DBAs who are forced to do the DBA job who are Developers, Network admins, I also noticed people doing clerical jobs also had to attend DBA activities.

But still, they can google atleast about the issue before posting in forums for help.

• I think there is an opportunity for improvement in the data connection technology space!

😎

ODBC => "Old DataBase Connection"

OleDB => "Old LEgacy DataBase"

ACE => "Ancient"

Joking apart, Frederico's post applies to most of M$'s data-aware products.

• Leela Krishna wrote:

The reason I can think about the posts are because of may Accidental DBAs who are forced to do the DBA job who are Developers, Network admins, I also noticed people doing clerical jobs also had to attend DBA activities.

But still, they can google atleast about the issue before posting in forums for help.

Hi!

No doubt you're right and that's a great insight. Thanks for the contribution.

Just so you know, the question was asked a long time ago and we have since just turned this into the water cooler, a place to hang out and chat. You're welcome to hand out and take part.

I just figured if you glance back at some of the other posts, you'd be a bit confused as to what access drivers, pork chops, and all the other stuff we've talked about over the years here has to do with poor question quality. Now you know.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• It's interesting. A few months ago, I had that very same ACE 32 bit vs 64 bit argument with a few people at my new shop. And someone insisted they only needed 64 bit. Developed a package and imported excel files without having the 32 bit driver installed. Usually that's the part that fails.

So... it might have changed.

Until I'm 100% sure, I still advise both, but it's looking like at least one person was able to do the whole kit-n-kaboodle without the 32 bit version.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• maybe they did it on VS2022 (this is the first one starting to be 64bit) or maybe they didn't use the ACE drive but one of the other ones.

or maybe they had it installed without knowing.

without looking at the .dtsx file won't be able to confirm the drive used.

or maybe they did use the driver within c# code - e.g. without creating  a connection and data source directly from the excel file

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Leela Krishna wrote:

The reason I can think about the posts are because of may Accidental DBAs who are forced to do the DBA job who are Developers, Network admins, I also noticed people doing clerical jobs also had to attend DBA activities.

Hi!

No doubt you're right and that's a great insight. Thanks for the contribution.

Just so you know, the question was asked a long time ago and we have since just turned this into the water cooler, a place to hang out and chat. You're welcome to hand out and take part.

I just figured if you glance back at some of the other posts, you'd be a bit confused as to what access drivers, pork chops, and all the other stuff we've talked about over the years here has to do with poor question quality. Now you know.

You may, if you go back far enough, wonder what TITD means (Tent in the Desert, by the way). You would have to go back years to figure out the context behind it.

Welcome to The Thread.

• It is indeed for SSIS & Excel.

32-bit: Design Visual Studio 2019. VS 2019 due Ms Oracle Dataconnector and BimlVarigence plugin

64-bit: Run with SSIS on SQL Server / easier datatyping

Thanks frederico_fonseca for pointing to the Access Database Engine 2010. That one doesn't check bitness.

Current order:

1. Optional: Office click to run. Then stop service Microsoft Office Click-To-Run Service (halts ace 2016 64-bit installation)
    2. Ace 2010 32-bit. Unzip and run aceredist.msi. SSIS should be able to connect to Excel with Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 & proper extended properties Excel 12.0;HDR=YES;IMEX=1;
    3. Ace 2016 64-bit. Unzip and run aceredist.msi / passive. Tested with openrowset from SQL Server in-process. The click to run version Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0 would crash it.
    4. Optional: Start Office click to run
  • Jo Pattyn wrote:

It is indeed for SSIS & Excel.

64-bit: Run with SSIS on SQL Server / easier datatyping

Not necessarily. The program which runs SSIS packages is called DTExec.exe. It has 32- and 64-bit versions, with the 64-bit version being the default. When running in VS, the VS executable spawns a DTExec process, with whatever bitness has been requested (once again, 64-bit is the default).

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 66,466 through 66,480 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply