Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jasona.work wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

if at any point they said " did you try turning it off and on again" I would have died laughing.

I have actually received that as an answer before. Ended the interview, which is nice.

HEY!  Sometimes that IS the right answer!  (Just not for the question that was asked)

I would take it as something good if it's evident that it's a joke and not the actual answer.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

We had a person at my old job.  She was ALWAYS on the phone.  I got curious as to why and so I discreetly "hung around" for a couple of hours.  She couldn't actually write a stitch of code... she was on the phone with someone that was.  Why the hell our boss hired her is totally beyond me and she wasn't the only one that was seriously sub-par for the job.  It's a part of what led me to quitting that job.

Jeff, did you just admit to stalking a woman and wasting a few hours on work time... lol 🙂

BWAAAA-BWAAAA!!!  I did say I was discreet.  That doesn't mean I was hiding under her desk. 😀 😀 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

We had a person at my old job.  She was ALWAYS on the phone.  I got curious as to why and so I discreetly "hung around" for a couple of hours.  She couldn't actually write a stitch of code... she was on the phone with someone that was.  Why the hell our boss hired her is totally beyond me and she wasn't the only one that was seriously sub-par for the job.  It's a part of what led me to quitting that job.

Jeff, did you just admit to stalking a woman and wasting a few hours on work time... lol 🙂

BWAAAA-BWAAAA!!!  I did say I was discreet.  That doesn't mean I was hiding under her desk. 😀 😀 😀

but thats the best place to hide!!! it keeps you away from all the nasty wifi radioactive thingumy stuff. next time, take a blanket and a hamper of nice food - that's called preparation... then you need a rollback plan ( i suggest feigning hitting your head on the desk while changing a cat5 cable) - just saying

MVDBA

Jeff Moden wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

but thats the best place to hide!!! it keeps you away from all the nasty wifi radioactive thingumy stuff. next time, take a blanket and a hamper of nice food - that's called preparation... then you need a rollback plan ( i suggest feigning hitting your head on the desk while changing a cat5 cable) - just saying

Sounds like you have experience 🙂

• On the subject of questions getting worse, here's what it has finally come to.  Notice in the zip file that there is absolutely everything that one might need to get the job done... the OP made sure that someone else could do THEIR job.  They didn't even try.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/query-tuning-help-2

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

On the subject of questions getting worse, here's what it has finally come to.  Notice in the zip file that there is absolutely everything that one might need to get the job done... the OP made sure that someone else could do THEIR job.  They didn't even try.

I am suspicious of that user

MVDBA

Jeff Moden wrote:

On the subject of questions getting worse, here's what it has finally come to.  Notice in the zip file that there is absolutely everything that one might need to get the job done... the OP made sure that someone else could do THEIR job.  They didn't even try.

I am suspicious of that user

I do have to agree that i feel that that user has been misusing (abusing) the kindness of others from here at times. Some of the questions they ask are quite complex and they treat here more like a free consultancy service than a Q&A/discussion Forum. I wouldn't mind as much if they contributed to the discussion, but is rarely (never) a contributor to the discussion other than to say "that doesn't work" or "how do I do that?". I suspect that they are someone who is way in over their head, and uses places such as here to "do their job".

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

I suspect that they are someone who is way in over their head, and uses places such as here to "do their job".

Just to be a contrarian, I'm ok with that.

Eventually, they won't be over their head and, maybe (maybe not), they'll remember all the help they got here and they'll pay it forward. I want to help, especially the people that are utterly lost.

Yeah, far too many are jerks about it. I even have a couple of people who are treating me as free consulting (believe me, I cut that down pretty hard in email & DMs). I've even had someone get extremely angry when I wouldn't, for free, on my own time, go through their 5,000 line pile of crap T-SQL and, not simply identify issues, but fix it fore them. I was called names because I wouldn't just freely do hard, long, painstaking, work.

However, those are the exceptions. Most of the rest are grateful, even if they say nothing. So, I keep answering questions, even though they're frequently the same question. I want to help.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

I suspect that they are someone who is way in over their head, and uses places such as here to "do their job".

Eventually, they won't be over their head and, maybe (maybe not), they'll remember all the help they got here and they'll pay it forward. I want to help, especially the people that are utterly lost.

Yeah, far too many are jerks about it. I even have a couple of people who are treating me as free consulting (believe me, I cut that down pretty hard in email & DMs). I've even had someone get extremely angry when I wouldn't, for free, on my own time, go through their 5,000 line pile of crap T-SQL and, not simply identify issues, but fix it fore them. I was called names because I wouldn't just freely do hard, long, painstaking, work.

However, those are the exceptions. Most of the rest are grateful, even if they say nothing. So, I keep answering questions, even though they're frequently the same question. I want to help.

I was regularly asking more than I was contributing when I was 20 (im 42 now) - so I agree, pay it forward!!! 🙂

maybe we should be encouraging new users to contribute a little. It will boost their confidence and i'm pretty sure steve would love some articles about how a junior dba learns

MVDBA

• it would be nice to get a thankyou occasionally though. 🙂  I think off the top of my head I see about 10 users who do most of the "heavy lifting" on here - and being abused just makes you want to stop helping - we can't lose these users

MVDBA

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

I was regularly asking more than I was contributing when I was 20 (im 42 now) - so I agree, pay it forward!!! 🙂

maybe we should be encouraging new users to contribute a little. It will boost their confidence and i'm pretty sure steve would love some articles about how a junior dba learns

I have tried that with a select few that I thought would be quite helpful in areas I knew I was weak, unfortunately it failed.  They have to want to help for the encouragement to work.  Not sure how to get someone who really doesn't want to contribute to do so.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

They have to want to help for the encouragement to work.  Not sure how to get someone who really doesn't want to contribute to do so.

Just a few weeks ago there was an update to the SO points system.  They sent an email that said:  "We’ve increased the value for upvotes to questions.  We doubled the reputation points earned from getting an upvote to a question to 10 points. This makes it equal to the reputation points earned from getting an upvote to an answer.We recalculated reputation for everyone on Stack Overflow based on this change. Any question upvote earned in the past was awarded a value of 10 reputation points"

https://stackoverflow.blog/2019/11/13/were-rewarding-the-question-askers/

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

They have to want to help for the encouragement to work.  Not sure how to get someone who really doesn't want to contribute to do so.

Just a few weeks ago there was an update to the SO points system.  They sent an email that said:  "We’ve increased the value for upvotes to questions.  We doubled the reputation points earned from getting an upvote to a question to 10 points. This makes it equal to the reputation points earned from getting an upvote to an answer.We recalculated reputation for everyone on Stack Overflow based on this change. Any question upvote earned in the past was awarded a value of 10 reputation points"

Not sure what you're point is there, but that change has been very poorly received the community at SO: https://meta.stackoverflow.com/q/391250/3484879

Personally, I don't see "internet points" as a reward. I actually dislike that you need some of them to be able to use SO to it "full" potential, like commenting on a question to be able to ask the OP for clarification (why is that a "priviledge"?).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Lynn

I was thinking that if you show them that if you contribute to the community then you get the Rockstar job. lord alone, look at Grant, he gets flown around the world... show them what they can acheive

my old company used to use the phrase "improve your personal brand"

MVDBA

• Thom A wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Not sure what you're point is there, but that change has been very poorly received the community at SO: https://meta.stackoverflow.com/q/391250/3484879

Personally, I don't see "internet points" as a reward. I actually dislike that you need some of them to be able to use SO to it "full" potential, like commenting on a question to be able to ask the OP for clarification (why is that a "priviledge"?).

There's a temptation to mess with the equation and "fatten the goose" by stuffing food down its throat.  It's not a good move imo.  In economics if you subsidize something you get more demand and less profit.  From a Sql Server community point of view I think the profit is from legitimate questions driven by real business requirements.  Who cares even a little bit about quantity?  Too much fiddling with the rules to "encourage" behavior brings in game players and results in bullshit questions.  How SSC works is a separate conversation but I think it should continue to be about quality above everything else.

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

Viewing 15 posts - 64,231 through 64,245 (of 66,571 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply