Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

At times stuff gets merged from dev that might be in flight and we don't want to release the QA stuff yet until something is fixed.

Sounds like you should be using the Git hotfix workflow for this ... which still uses branches, and with very little weirdness!

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• It's still slightly weird, because coordinating changes is difficult at times. It's something I think we'd want to get to, but because there are database changes at times, it's not as simple as we would like. Even with a known process, in the middle of busy times, it's easy to make mistakes with branching.

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

Do you guys run EVERYTHING that goes into production through QA/UAT, or do you trust some users if they have a proven track record of high scores, and only check some portion of their work (until their scores on that portion dips)?

I don't trust anyone... not even myself! 🙂

• Well, this has been a fun week...

Over the weekend, the network folks were going to "clean up" some of the wiring closets (apparently, the cabling was rather messy.)  As you might be able to guess, it didn't go well, came in on Monday to a down network in our area with no timeline for getting back up (servers, thankfully, had not been touched so customers were still working.)  Go home to telework (different network zone,) and all goes well...

Until about lunch when my home internet goes down, and no amount of pleading, cajoling, threatening, calling support (AT&T,) or router rebooting would get it back...

Called the boss to let him know.  Earliest I could get a tech out to look at the problem, Wednesday (today,) so I took the 4-6pm slot so I could just leave work a couple hours early.

So there went about 3 hours of the day accomplishing nothing.

Get into the office on Tuesday, the boss had texted me on the drive in (so I didn't see it, and didn't check my phone in the parking lot) to go ahead and telework again because the network was STILL down.  Remind him my home internet was also hosed, so I couldn't telework anyways.  They had set up a work-provided mifi device, so I hooked into that to make sure the servers were still up and happy and no crisis e-mails, and not long after that, the FIRE ALARM goes off!  So, 30-40 minutes standing in the parking lot while the fire dept went through the building and checked it out.

By this point, some network guys had been assigned to our area to get our network back up and running, I asked the tech how long he thought it might be, he said a couple hours.  So, staring down the face of another accomplish nothing day, I asked the boss if I could take PTO and blow off the rest of the day...

THANKFULLY the network did get restored yesterday, so I was able to work today, AT&T got to the house early (turns out, when a different AT&T tech was hooking up a house behind us, he apparently wiggled my fiber connection loose, so it was a quick fix.)

So, yeah, been an interesting week...

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

Be honest, was this one of you? https://www.newsweek.com/drunk-poland-soviet-tank-1444475%5B/quote%5D I was on Poland recently, but no one let me drive a tank... as far as I can recall.

That would be frikin incredible!  As someone who's never driven a tank, that sounds like one of those ultimate experiences that people like me would jump at. Jason, let me know if you come across a spare tank that needs a test drive one day. 🙂

Hmm, no, haven't seen any spare ones laying around, and the ones that are there, I think they hide the keys...

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

Do you guys run EVERYTHING that goes into production through QA/UAT, or do you trust some users if they have a proven track record of high scores, and only check some portion of their work (until their scores on that portion dips)?

With almost 500 SQL boxes in prod and many interacting systems, we have a very strict pipeline.

DEV -> Automation QA -> Functional QA -> Regression QA -> Deployment -> Final QA

• Chris Harshman wrote:

My name is Grant Fritchey and I endorse this message. Except I'd change it slightly:

I don't trust anyone... especially not myself!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• So, speaking of formatting tools, I just got a complaint because I formatted the code from the stored procedure that I worked on and that generated too many differences when comparing it to the old code.

Apparently, some people prefer to keep unreadable ad performing code rather than having a continuous improvement.

Sorry for venting. I just feel frustrated from working with one particular guy.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

So, speaking of formatting tools, I just got a complaint because I formatted the code from the stored procedure that I worked on and that generated too many differences when comparing it to the old code. Apparently, some people prefer to keep unreadable ad performing code rather than having a continuous improvement. Sorry for venting. I just feel frustrated from working with one particular guy.

You could always check it in twice. Once with the change to the code logic, then with the additional change from your formatting tool.

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

So, speaking of formatting tools, I just got a complaint because I formatted the code from the stored procedure that I worked on and that generated too many differences when comparing it to the old code. Apparently, some people prefer to keep unreadable ad performing code rather than having a continuous improvement. Sorry for venting. I just feel frustrated from working with one particular guy.

You could always check it in twice. Once with the change to the code logic, then with the additional change from your formatting tool.

Oh, sorry, I meant formatting and tools (like this guy).

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

I've had this before, too. The way I solved it was by creating a centralised style in SQL Prompt and distributing it around the department.

Then people are free to do their dev using their own particular style, but before checking in, they must reformat according to the centralised style.

Ignoring whitespace when looking at differences can also help.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Also, not being a punk and reviewing the code for whether it works correctly, instead of just looking for "what changed"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• What a day, one could not make it up! My best friend taken to a hospital (second time in two days) after collapsing going flat on the ground, no family around, the missus telling me that she had to travel this morning (2000 miles and already there), my kids going through exams and the main vendor of the integration framework technology I've been working on for the passed year has suddenly lost interest,  On top of this, the client has decided to move the main operation to the outskirt of civilization up north in the UK.

😎

Feeling a bit overwhelmed,  not complaining as I know many have bigger problems, but...

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

What a day... and the main vendor of the integration framework technology I've been working on for the passed year has suddenly lost interest,  On top of this, the client has decided to move the main operation to the outskirt of civilization up north in the UK. 😎 Feeling a bit overwhelmed,  not complaining as I know many have bigger problems, but...

YIKES (to everything).

But on this last, my sympathies for the work you've put in already. Are you going to follow them or look for another job?

FYI: Allstate has an office in Belfast if you or anyone in the area has an interest. There should be a jobs link at allstate.com.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Chris Harshman wrote:

jonathan.crawford wrote:

We call this our "no diva" clause.  One process and no exceptions.  Like it or not the first error by someone with a previously perfect record is just as painful to fix as the 10th error from the one with an horrible record.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 15 posts - 63,766 through 63,780 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply