Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:26 PM

Well, today has been a day.  I received a call from my dad while I was at work, and all he said was he was stuck on the floor.  All I could think of was that he had sat on the floor to do to something and then couldn't get back up.  Needless to say I hurried home to find him laying face down in the hallway.  His walker was still upright.  First question I asked him was if he fell.  He answered no, that his legs started getting weak so he climbed down the walker until he was on the floor.  Well, I called 911 and shortly after I had an ambulance and the fire department at the house.

Well, I will spare the details, HIPPA and all, but he is currently in the hospital and we will see what happens from here.

I really don't need days like this, it is very stressful.

Hope he is ok. So scary to see our parents in that situation. At least he didn't fall.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Well, today has been a day.  I received a call from my dad while I was at work, and all he said was he was stuck on the floor.  All I could think of was that he had sat on the floor to do to something and then couldn't get back up.  Needless to say I hurried home to find him laying face down in the hallway.  His walker was still upright.  First question I asked him was if he fell.  He answered no, that his legs started getting weak so he climbed down the walker until he was on the floor.  Well, I called 911 and shortly after I had an ambulance and the fire department at the house.

Well, I will spare the details, HIPPA and all, but he is currently in the hospital and we will see what happens from here.

Ugh, sorry Lynn. Was hoping to see you tonight, but understand if you can't make it.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:45 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:26 PM

Ugh, sorry Lynn. Was hoping to see you tonight, but understand if you can't make it.

I still plan on being there.  Dad is in good hands.

Well, an update.  Got a call this morning from the cardiologist and they were going to put in a pacemaker this morning.  Well, everything went well, but don't trust the times that a doctor tells you.  The procedure was supposed to start at 9 AM, didn't start until almost 10 AM.  The procedure did meet the time (about an hour) the doctor told me.  But then he told me that dad would be back in his room in 45 minutes but that was actually over two hours.

I am exhausted.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:19 PM

Well, an update.  Got a call this morning from the cardiologist and they were going to put in a pacemaker this morning.  Well, everything went well, but don't trust the times that a doctor tells you.  The procedure was supposed to start at 9 AM, didn't start until almost 10 AM.  The procedure did meet the time (about an hour) the doctor told me.  But then he told me that dad would be back in his room in 45 minutes but that was actually over two hours.

I am exhausted.

That good news, Lynn.  Glad to hear the operation went well.

Hospital scheduling has been somewhat of a joke as far back as I can remember, but that's not what's most important.  Yeah, it'll leave you stressed and drained, but if your dad's okay, that's what really matters.

I am exhausted.

Best of luck mate and my best wishes!
    😎

I am exhausted.

I'm glad it was a success.  Best to you and your Dad, Lynn.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Shifting gears a bit, I'm giving a new presentation here in the Detroit area for the local PASS Chapter on the 10th of May.  I was limited to 1000 bytes for description (for possible SQL Saturday offerings) and so it's a bit understated but here's the description from EventBrite and the EventBrite link to register (it's free, of course) if you'd like to attend.  I'm also very much looking forward to Chris Morris coming into town for the day.  The man is definitely on my bucket list.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/black-arts-index-maintenance-tickets-45321644258

Black Arts Index Maintenance

The most common reasons to do Index Maintenance are to defragment indexes to ensure that they continue to provide good performance and to control how much space they occupy both on disk and in memory.

Ironically, thousands, perhaps even millions of people are unwittingly destroying the full potential of their indexes and are actually injecting guaranteed performance and space usage problems into their indexes by using current, widely-accepted “Best Practice” Index Maintenance methods. To top off the atrocities, all of this results in hundreds of thousands of totally unnecessary log file entries, slowing performance even more.

In this SQL “Black Arts” session, Jeff Moden graphically demonstrates why and how current “Best Practice” Index Maintenance methods are causing all of those performance problems and two very simple methods to “auto-magically” fix those problems (including automatic adaptive Fill Factor determination) and virtually eliminate all bad page splits in the process.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Friday, April 20, 2018 9:07 AM

Shifting gears a bit, I'm giving a new presentation here in the Detroit area for the local PASS Chapter on the 10th of May.  I was limited to 1000 bytes for description (for possible SQL Saturday offerings) and so it's a bit understated but here's the description from EventBrite and the EventBrite link to register (it's free, of course) if you'd like to attend.  I'm also very much looking forward to Chris Morris coming into town for the day.  The man is definitely on my bucket list.

The most common reasons to do Index Maintenance are to defragment indexes to ensure that they continue to provide good performance and to control how much space they occupy both on disk and in memory.

Ironically, thousands, perhaps even millions of people are unwittingly destroying the full potential of their indexes and are actually injecting guaranteed performance and space usage problems into their indexes by using current, widely-accepted “Best Practice†Index Maintenance methods. To top off the atrocities, all of this results in hundreds of thousands of totally unnecessary log file entries, slowing performance even more.

In this SQL “Black Arts†session, Jeff Moden graphically demonstrates why and how current “Best Practice†Index Maintenance methods are causing all of those performance problems and two very simple methods to “auto-magically†fix those problems (including automatic adaptive Fill Factor determination) and virtually eliminate all bad page splits in the process.

Please record the session, or if possible stream it.  I would love to hear it, just not going to be able to get out to Detroit to see it in person.

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, April 20, 2018 10:15 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, April 20, 2018 9:07 AM

Shifting gears a bit, I'm giving a new presentation here in the Detroit area for the local PASS Chapter on the 10th of May.  I was limited to 1000 bytes for description (for possible SQL Saturday offerings) and so it's a bit understated but here's the description from EventBrite and the EventBrite link to register (it's free, of course) if you'd like to attend.  I'm also very much looking forward to Chris Morris coming into town for the day.  The man is definitely on my bucket list.

Ironically, thousands, perhaps even millions of people are unwittingly destroying the full potential of their indexes and are actually injecting guaranteed performance and space usage problems into their indexes by using current, widely-accepted “Best Practice†Index Maintenance methods. To top off the atrocities, all of this results in hundreds of thousands of totally unnecessary log file entries, slowing performance even more.

In this SQL “Black Arts†session, Jeff Moden graphically demonstrates why and how current “Best Practice†Index Maintenance methods are causing all of those performance problems and two very simple methods to “auto-magically†fix those problems (including automatic adaptive Fill Factor determination) and virtually eliminate all bad page splits in the process.

Please record the session, or if possible stream it.  I would love to hear it, just not going to be able to get out to Detroit to see it in person.

I have a better idea?  I might be able to do the upcoming Denver SQL Saturday.  It would need two back to back sessions, though.

As for recording it, we don't currently have the capability.  We're working on it but it's not likely to be ready by then.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Friday, April 20, 2018 10:29 AM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, April 20, 2018 10:15 AM

I have a better idea?  I might be able to do the upcoming Denver SQL Saturday.  It would need two back to back sessions, though.

As for recording it, we don't currently have the capability.  We're working on it but it's not likely to be ready by then.

And maybe get you back out here next year when (if) we do a SQL Saturday in Colorado Springs.

If you are at the Denver SQL Saturday, I will be there!

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, April 20, 2018 10:15 AM

Or maybe write an article (or three) on this 😉

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, April 20, 2018 10:37 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, April 20, 2018 10:29 AM

And maybe get you back out here next year when (if) we do a SQL Saturday in Colorado Springs.

If you are at the Denver SQL Saturday, I will be there!

Like Jeff said, we're working on the recording presentations.  I now have something to try, but I don't know if it'll work or not.  If the bandwidth available has anything to do with it, don't hold your breath.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, April 20, 2018 12:18 PM

Or maybe write an article (or three) on this 😉

That and more.  I'm a couple of years behind on a lot of partial articles.  for example, I really want to finish the "Devils in the Data" mini-series.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Friday, April 20, 2018 1:05 PM

That and more.  I'm a couple of years behind on a lot of partial articles.  for example, I really want to finish the "Devils in the Data" mini-series.

so, "Devils in the Data", "Black Arts".....is there something you're not telling us, Jeff? Should we bring an unblemished goat to the presentation for you?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 15 posts - 61,426 through 61,440 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply