Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie think they call this 3rd party syndrome here. Seems to be indicative of the way they work, if it wasn't written into the contract there is no need for them to do it. Responsibility for their work always seems to require the next grade of contract to the one you actually paid for.

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, May 5, 2017 4:37 AM

The coworker and I were talking this a.m. about how annoyed we are that a different department which sends files to us didn't bother to tell us that a file couldn't send because they were having a problem connecting to the landing zone. This has happened before and always we have to realize we're missing the files, email or IM them to ask about the files, then they "research the issue" as if they have no way of knowing when one of their processes fails.

On our side, we have to have a zillion alerts, plus manual job checks, to verify everything is working because if we don't keep track of this stuff, our butts will be raked over the coals.

Does anyone else have this problem? Doesn't seem logical that if you're sending out data to be consumed by other processes in other divisions, you should be responsible for verifying everything worked correctly on your end before your customer notices there's a problem?

We do it both ways. If we're expecting a file and it doesn't arrive during one schedule, then emails will go out to involved parties; If it's an Agent job, the task also fails so that the operator email goes out too. If we're sending out, and it doesn't go same thing (apart from we don't tell the recipient automatically, as it normally gives us a chance to fix the user error). The whole idea should be standard practice.

I am,however, aware that one insurer we deal with doesn't check the files we send them; so if their ETL fails (because it's incredibly anal about everything), no one knows. We often find out 3 months later when the customer has been pulled over by the police, or receives a large fine through the post and threat of points on their licence, for driving "uninsured". >_<

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• The worst part is this is an internal department. I have no idea whether or not they only employ contractors or if some of these people are full time. I guess it doesn't matter, though, if they feel it isn't in their job descriptions.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, May 5, 2017 4:37 AM

The coworker and I were talking this a.m. about how annoyed we are that a different department which sends files to us didn't bother to tell us that a file couldn't send because they were having a problem connecting to the landing zone. This has happened before and always we have to realize we're missing the files, email or IM them to ask about the files, then they "research the issue" as if they have no way of knowing when one of their processes fails.

On our side, we have to have a zillion alerts, plus manual job checks, to verify everything is working because if we don't keep track of this stuff, our butts will be raked over the coals.

Does anyone else have this problem? Doesn't seem logical that if you're sending out data to be consumed by other processes in other divisions, you should be responsible for verifying everything worked correctly on your end before your customer notices there's a problem?

Yes... every damned day .:crazy:  We have missing files, duplicate files, empty files, malformed files, the wrong file content (they send the wrong file with the right name), files that don't arrive together, files that arrive late, etc, etc... and it would appear that we're the only ones that can auto-magically detect such things.  AND, it doesn't matter if the files are internal to the company or from other companies nor whether or not we've identified all of the rules for the data in contracts or whatever.  It's just stupid but it's a problem that will never go away simply because a lot of people don't want to spend any time bullet-proofing their own junk nor do they have a clue when it comes to data quality.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Someone in the office has discovered the Only Connect walls on the BBC site...

Well its one way to end a Friday afternoon!

Only Connect Walls

Rodders...

• ChrisM@Work - Friday, May 5, 2017 1:37 AM

Thom A - Thursday, May 4, 2017 3:18 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Thursday, May 4, 2017 3:09 AM

Stack Overflow is pretty much unusable.

I', really not a fan of it either. I remember finding it quite difficult to get along with.Trying to paste code in and it telling me I had to indent it all (it was), so ended up asking questoins without my code. Unsurprisingly, I was asked for the code in question, which I couldn't paste! I even tried uploading it else where and putting the link in my post, but you had to have "reputation" to put hyperlinks in your posts...

I've never posted again, and never use it unless it comes up in a Google search. First Impressions are everything 😛

At least here I can paste my SQL (although SSC takes my formatting and spits it after it's had a nice blend 🙁 ).

SO is awful, it's morphing into facebook, attracting the very worst features of both. A nice contrast (distinct from the one you're currently reading) is this one from an alleged competitor.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't like it.  I think that because this site sets the bar so high, I find SO to be overly-moderated and beyond frustrating.

• Jeff Moden - Friday, May 5, 2017 6:50 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Friday, May 5, 2017 4:37 AM

Yes... every damned day .:crazy:  We have missing files, duplicate files, empty files, malformed files, the wrong file content (they send the wrong file with the right name), files that don't arrive together, files that arrive late, etc, etc... and it would appear that we're the only ones that can auto-magically detect such things.  AND, it doesn't matter if the files are internal to the company or from other companies nor whether or not we've identified all of the rules for the data in contracts or whatever.  It's just stupid but it's a problem that will never go away simply because a lot of people don't want to spend any time bullet-proofing their own junk nor do they have a clue when it comes to data quality.

Vendor has an issue with data missing elements, we discover it after it's been a problem for over a year. We figure out what needs fixed and notify them, ask them to correct. Vendor says: "well, when we do this for BCBS we had the same problem and we implemented XYZ five years ago"........

so yeah, if it's not specifically written in, it's not going to happen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• question that I'd appreciate everyone's input on, but particularly Mr. Moden's, since it's his fault, having given me the standards document in the first place...
    https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1874681/DropCreate-objects-versus-Alter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Friday, May 5, 2017 7:41 AM

question that I'd appreciate everyone's input on, but particularly Mr. Moden's, since it's his fault, having given me the standards document in the first place...
    https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1874681/DropCreate-objects-versus-Alter

On SQL 2016 SP1 and above, both/neither

CREATE OR ALTER MyProcedure AS...

That said, for procedures I prefer ALTER if manually deploying, to ensure that permissions don't get lost. If there's a proper deployment tool that will handle the permissions correctly (or a standard that ensures that permissions are on the schema level and not the object), then either will work fine.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • That's why I love hanging out with you guys, "surely you're doing <some thing I've never thought of doing>"

• after 6 months retired I got drawn back by a post to an old thread (still get alerts). Lots of changes to the site I see, but the basics are the same, very nice. I also see I have a 'rep' now, how does that work?

hope everyone is well.

george

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald - Friday, May 5, 2017 11:40 AM

after 6 months retired I got drawn back by a post to an old thread (still get alerts). Lots of changes to the site I see, but the basics are the same, very nice. I also see I have a 'rep' now, how does that work?

Well, ya see. Someone starts telling stories about someone else, or a person starts braggin' about him/herself and then that rep thing, it just happens. And reps, ya see, are a double-edged sword. Cause it could be good, it could be bad, it could be middlin'.

Ya just never know.

:hehe:

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• ThomasRushton - Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:23 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:16 AM

As a wise man once said, "Half of all that is written [there -JBM] is wrong and the other half is written in such a fashion as you can't tell if it's right or wrong". 😉

See also: Sturgeon's Law - "90% of everything is crap."

So.... what does that mean about the probability that Sturgeon's Law is wrong too? :Whistling:
    I'm just having fun, no real commentary was intended.

• Had an interview this morning that went so well, they decided to skip the in-person interview and just offered me the job.  😀

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Friday, May 5, 2017 3:57 PM

Had an interview this morning that went so well, they decided to skip the in-person interview and just offered me the job.  😀

Drew

Had that happen once, feels really good doesn't it.

Viewing 15 posts - 58,456 through 58,470 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply