Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jasona.work (10/20/2016)

I don't quite feel your pain, but I'm in the midst of migrating a handful of DBs to a new server.

I am currently migrating 69 dev databases to new dev Windows 2016/SQL 2016 box.

Backups and copies done.

Logins next and then....

Restore :w00t:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Brandie Tarvin (10/20/2016)

I don't quite feel your pain, but I'm in the midst of migrating a handful of DBs to a new server. One is ~134GB of data, the DBs are all TDE'ed, and I don't have (and couldn't get in the time available) enough room on the source server to run a backup to. So I'm backing up across the network to the new server...

At least I've got an all-day window to do this, but it gets boring watching the percentages...

Tell me about it. I've had to do that before. And then, right at the last minute, the backup fails because of a network error.

I swear, if you've jinxed me on this...

I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you un-jinx me right now, you will never hear from me again. But if you leave me jinxed, I will find you, and I will feed you to the hippo.

:hehe:

Brandie Tarvin (10/20/2016)

I don't quite feel your pain, but I'm in the midst of migrating a handful of DBs to a new server. One is ~134GB of data, the DBs are all TDE'ed, and I don't have (and couldn't get in the time available) enough room on the source server to run a backup to. So I'm backing up across the network to the new server...

At least I've got an all-day window to do this, but it gets boring watching the percentages...

Tell me about it. I've had to do that before. And then, right at the last minute, the backup fails because of a network error.

I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you un-jinx me right now, you will never hear from me again. But if you leave me jinxed, I will find you, and I will feed you to the hippo.

Good. Luck.

(From Tropojë)

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Ummm. Oh, wait. I still have a pork chop launcher... BRING IT ON!

:w00t:

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

jasona.work (10/20/2016)

Watch it, you two, or I'll have to let the Hippo deal with you both!

jasona.work (10/20/2016)

*Grabs popcorn and relaxes on his seat to watch the show*

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (10/20/2016)

jasona.work (10/20/2016)

*Grabs popcorn and relaxes on his seat to watch the show*

Yup. I'm waiting for Lynn to release the Hippo. 😀

jasona.work (10/20/2016)

/me goes and gets a couple German Shepherds

Go ahead, make their day!

jasona.work (10/20/2016)

I refuse to concede this pork chop battle!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

jasona.work (10/20/2016)

jasona.work (10/20/2016)

I refuse to concede this pork chop battle!

/me grabs a rasher of bacon. Throws it at Brandie

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

• Gazareth (10/19/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (10/18/2016)

Just had a Blast from the past

😎

First line: "Version 4.2 also lets you nest triggers"

I didn't get any further due to blacking out; came to 10 minutes later in the foetal position under my desk.

Colleagues tell me I let out quite the scream too...

Lesson learned, keep a comfort blanket (charlie brown style) under the desk and be good to the dust bunnies:-D

😎

• Geez, it's amazing how long it can take to backup a 150GB database across a network...

Finally got the migration done, customer reporting everything seems OK so far, Agent jobs seem to be working (some of them don't do anything until a file comes in to BCP into the tables, and have to do some weird decompression against the files first,) so I'm calling this a success!

And only an hour left in the day!

Geez, it's amazing how long it can take to backup a 150GB database across a network...

Finally got the migration done, customer reporting everything seems OK so far, Agent jobs seem to be working (some of them don't do anything until a file comes in to BCP into the tables, and have to do some weird decompression against the files first,) so I'm calling this a success!

And only an hour left in the day!

Well done, Jason. It's always nice when you get a big run done before leaving for the day.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (10/20/2016)

Gazareth (10/19/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (10/18/2016)

Just had a Blast from the past

😎

First line: "Version 4.2 also lets you nest triggers"

I didn't get any further due to blacking out; came to 10 minutes later in the foetal position under my desk.

Colleagues tell me I let out quite the scream too...

Lesson learned, keep a comfort blanket (charlie brown style) under the desk and be good to the dust bunnies:-D

😎

Mark of a professional 🙂

• I stumbled across this old url today. It points to an article that tells yet again the cautionary tale of the importance of testing backups but it is also hysterically funny (“you know you’re in trouble if you have a developer in the server room asking about backups…”).

A few of you regulars commented on it at the time and I thought the author might appreciate it being resurrected and a new audience may enjoy it as well.

https://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/general/how-to-kill-a-company-in-one-step-or-save-it-in-three/

Viewing 15 posts - 56,371 through 56,385 (of 66,564 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply