Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jack Corbett (10/8/2015)

WayneS (10/7/2015)

GilaMonster (10/6/2015)

#gloat Company's paying for the trip to the US. If I was speaking at Pass Summit, they'd be paying for hotel too. They paid for my trip to the Cape Town and Durban SQLSaturdays, and all days at a conference are considered normal work days.

#endgloat

So you'll be at the Summit after all? Nice!

+1 and I believe I owe you a beverage of your choice (that's Gail, not Wayne).

And, if I recall, a long story too...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/8/2015)

Jack Corbett (10/8/2015)

WayneS (10/7/2015)

GilaMonster (10/6/2015)

#gloat Company's paying for the trip to the US. If I was speaking at Pass Summit, they'd be paying for hotel too. They paid for my trip to the Cape Town and Durban SQLSaturdays, and all days at a conference are considered normal work days.

#endgloat

So you'll be at the Summit after all? Nice!

+1 and I believe I owe you a beverage of your choice (that's Gail, not Wayne).

And, if I recall, a long story too...

Here's that long stoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooory.

That about sums it up.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I've just about completed an article for publication on SSC, describing the behaviour of explicit transactions and would appreciate it if a couple of people could cast their eyes over it before Steve just feeds it through a shredder.

It is not a small piece, covering

What is a transaction?

What is an explicit transaction?

Basic BEGIN/COMMIT transaction

IDENTITY columns

@@TRANCOUNT

Stored Procedures and @@TRANCOUNT

Nested transactions

Transaction Names

Savepoints

although it is primarily code listings and screen-shots.

I have yet to write the conclusion. I'm thinking of something along the lines of "Check you really know how much work is involved before you offer to write an article".

• BrainDonor (10/9/2015)

I've just about completed an article for publication on SSC, describing the behaviour of explicit transactions and would appreciate it if a couple of people could cast their eyes over it before Steve just feeds it through a shredder.

Feel free to send it my way.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• BrainDonor (10/9/2015)

I've just about completed an article for publication on SSC, describing the behaviour of explicit transactions and would appreciate it if a couple of people could cast their eyes over it before Steve just feeds it through a shredder.

I'll be happy to give you some feedback..

Louis.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (10/8/2015)

dwain.c (10/1/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (10/1/2015)

ChrisM@Work (10/1/2015)

ChrisM@Work (10/1/2015)

ChrisM@Work (10/1/2015)

ChrisM@Work (10/1/2015)

ChrisM@Work (10/1/2015)

ChrisM@Work (10/1/2015)

Oh, and maple beer - yuck.

This made me spill my ESB all over the Pub lunch

😎

Where have you found ESB on draught?

The Ale&Pie on High Holborn, next to my office

😎

Live 5 minutes from Chiswick so there is no shortage in the locals either.

The Melton Mowbray? Haven't been in there for a while. The nearest gig was a telecoms company in Red Lion Square, maybe 12 years ago. We used to have Friday afternoon meetings in the Dolphin πŸ˜‰

Edit: High Holborn is a mile from where I currently work.

Good catch Chris, yes that's the one.

So working only 10 minutes away from each other, where and when are we going to meet?

😎

There are two pubs almost opposite each other on Tottenham Court Road about 150 yards up from TCR tube station. One of them's called the Jack Horner. The one on the west side does amazing pies, the one on the east side has exceptional ESB. You choose πŸ™‚

The Rising Sun and Jack Horner, not "too" unfamiliar πŸ˜‰

Lets make it Jack Horner, now the question is when?

😎

That's them! The Rising Sun has the pies πŸ™‚

Late next week - lunchtime or a couple of pints after work?

Thursday next week, Pie lunch in the Rising Sun, my treat

😎

Followed by a pint in the Jack Horner, my treat πŸ™‚

That's a "meal deal" then

😎

Please do at least one wrist curl for me as my spirit will be with you!

Done, cheers Dwain!

😎

Great meeting up with you Eirikur. I've met a half dozen people from Iceland and they have all been charming and completely bonkers. You're similar - but where the others are RBAR, you're set-based!

Luis Cazares - happy birthday geezer. No idea how but it came up in some feed or other on my phone. Hope you had a great day πŸ™‚

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (10/12/2015)

Luis Cazares - happy birthday geezer. No idea how but it came up in some feed or other on my phone. Hope you had a great day πŸ™‚

Thank you, Chris. I guess you got that info from my Linkedin profile.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • ChrisM@Work (10/12/2015)

Great meeting up with you Eirikur. I've met a half dozen people from Iceland and they have all been charming and completely bonkers. You're similar - but where the others are RBAR, you're set-based!

Now you met half the nation, I must introduce you the the rest of us:-D

What was that joke about Dwain again....

Jokes aside, enjoyed our meeting up, must encourage any other local or passing by SSCr's to join us for the next time!

😎

• Ed Wagner (10/11/2015)

I see the sports spam has returned. Sigh.

News clip spam, sports spam, ad spam.

My inbox is littered with SSC forum posts that are just spam (e.g. the Data corruption forum - I just subscribe to the entire forum). It's been steadily getting worse over the past couple of weeks.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Eirikur Eiriksson (10/12/2015)

ChrisM@Work (10/12/2015)

Now you met half the nation, I must introduce you the the rest of us:-D

What was that joke about Dwain again....

Jokes aside, enjoyed our meeting up, must encourage any other local or passing by SSCr's to join us for the next time!

😎

Not the old knock-knock joke I hope!

Knock-knock. Who's there? Dwain. Dwain who?

Dwain the bathtub I'm dwowning!

Glad to hear you guys hooked up and had a good time. Sorry I couldn't be there.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am trapped by a cat who thinks hands were made for scratching, not for working. Every time I reach for the keyboard, I get chomped!

(this message brought to you by the one-handed dba.)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Put the keyboard down, pet the cat. Priorities!

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/13/2015)

Put the keyboard down, pet the cat. Priorities!

Now she's hissing at me because I made the mistake of trying to move my other hand to the keyboard. And now she's off the lap and chewing cables to show how unhappy she is.

Sigh. I can't do anything right today.

Good news is that I got my Samsung Evo 1TB SSD the other day. Bad news is that I can't seem to get my Windows 7 Business 32 bit cloned to it for some reason. The drive just doesn't like me. Samsung magician doesn't want to recognize it from an external housing, which means I can't check for a firmware update to see if that will help.

POUT.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Luis Cazares (10/12/2015)

ChrisM@Work (10/12/2015)

Thank you, Chris. I guess you got that info from my Linkedin profile.

Happy Birthday, Luis. BTW, I don't think you qualify as a geezer just yet. πŸ˜›

Viewing 15 posts - 50,971 through 50,985 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply