Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange (7/2/2015)

Luis Cazares (7/2/2015)

jasona.work (7/2/2015)

Today is the kind of day (and it's only been an hour and a half since I got to work) that you clock watch...

OTOH, got plenty to look forward to this weekend...

Going to the movies tonight (Lets see if Arnies' still got it in Terminator:Genysis)

Tomorrow, doing some painting around the house (gotta love a new house with matte white walls...)

Saturday, heading out to the park for the day, just gonna relax and chill

Sunday, going out to the rifle range to punch holes in paper (maybe I'll scribble "TPS Report" on them first)

So, if you're in the US, got anything interesting planned this weekend? If you're not in the US, anything fun going on?

If everything goes according to plan, I'll be moving to Atlanta this weekend. I'll have a whole city to explore.

Congrats!!! I know you have been working on that for quite some time. Exciting that it is finally happening.

And now I have a long weekend without plans because I'll travel until next week. I'm not sure if it's good or bad luck.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Lynn Pettis (7/2/2015)

Sean Lange (7/2/2015)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2015)

I'm taking the youngest down to ERAU for a Spy Camp next week followed by a Soccer Camp the following week. I will be travelling home on Sunday and will miss the Women's World Cup Final between USA and Japan. Go USA!!

Bummer you will miss the final. The whole tournament has been really exciting. The level of play in the women's game has gone through the roof the last couple World Cups. Enjoy camp for the next couple weeks.

Did you leave the mind reading apparatus during your absence? Given the quality of posts lately we are going to need it!!

I'll be back late Sunday night. I'm just heading down over the weekend to drop her off at ERAU. Plus I have to take my car into the shop Monday morning to get repairs done after being in a minor traffic accident last Saturday. Car behind me didn't see me slowing down as I turned right and was going to cross three lanes of traffic to make a left at the next light.

Minor damage, some scratches and passenger side rear quarter panel has been shifted some.

Glad to hear it was only minor damage and no injury.

-SQLBill

• Informal survey before I make a fool of myself in an article (again)

Do you get the feeling that IT people, especially ones at the top-end of the field, are too reluctant to ask for help?

I don't mean technical help, I mean with stuff like burnout, depression, etc.

I keep seeing it locally, the belief that we have to be superheroes to work in the field, must be able to work all-nighters, heroic long hours, don't take time off sick, never admit weakness.

Local thing, or more widespread?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

Informal survey before I make a fool of myself in an article (again)

Do you get the feeling that IT people, especially ones at the top-end of the field, are too reluctant to ask for help?

I keep seeing it locally, the belief that we have to be superheroes to work in the field, must be able to work all-nighters, heroic long hours, don't take time off sick, never admit weakness.

Personally, yes. Do I see it others, frequently but not always.

• SQLBill (7/2/2015)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2015)

Sean Lange (7/2/2015)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2015)

I'm taking the youngest down to ERAU for a Spy Camp next week followed by a Soccer Camp the following week. I will be travelling home on Sunday and will miss the Women's World Cup Final between USA and Japan. Go USA!!

Bummer you will miss the final. The whole tournament has been really exciting. The level of play in the women's game has gone through the roof the last couple World Cups. Enjoy camp for the next couple weeks.

Did you leave the mind reading apparatus during your absence? Given the quality of posts lately we are going to need it!!

I'll be back late Sunday night. I'm just heading down over the weekend to drop her off at ERAU. Plus I have to take my car into the shop Monday morning to get repairs done after being in a minor traffic accident last Saturday. Car behind me didn't see me slowing down as I turned right and was going to cross three lanes of traffic to make a left at the next light.

Minor damage, some scratches and passenger side rear quarter panel has been shifted some.

Glad to hear it was only minor damage and no injury.

-SQLBill

Well..... I am experiencing some issues. Considering I was twisted around to look over my left shoulder so I could move across several lanes of traffic to make a left turn at the very next light. But I am getting the care I need.

• GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

I'd say this one is hard to define, but yeah. A lot of us just have a hard time saying "no" when people ask for stuff. It builds. A lot.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

Widespread.

I had to seriously argue with my people to go home during crisis situations so we could have someone to rotate in fresh. Same with other people in dev, SAN, sysadmin, network, etc teams.

I've seen plenty of people get frustrated as well with the way things work, but they keep it inside and get resentful and more stressed. As a manager, I learned I needed to pull this out of them regularly or they'd get worse across time.

• GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

It was common when working at the bank, but not when I was working as a contractor. It's something many programmers brag about, though. In Mexico, however, it doesn't seem to be exclusive for IT http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2015/04/21/these-countries-have-the-most-annual-working-hours-infographic-3/

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

Absolutely.

As someone that suffered a burnout a while back, I'd be happy to review your article, or even chat with you about my experience.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

Widespread.

I don't know if it is trying to be a superhero or just the thought of not getting it done - especially in crisis. But it does apply to more than just a crisis situation.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

My feeling on this is that if you get to that tier in the technical world, you should probably have realized what you were getting into long before you get there. Now as to whether that ultimately leads to depression or burnout, I think that's going to depend on the individual. There should have been enough early warning to prepare yourself to avoid it (although it is likely many do not).

I would say that the thing that mortifies me the most, and it is an issue that continues year after year after year, is dealing with all the new newbies learning the same lessons over and over again. Things like how to troubleshoot, make code changes without causing side-effects, or at least knowing where and how to look for side effects, etc. Each new wave of newbies goes through the same learning process while the old-timers end up having to deal with the fallout. Now that's depressing.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

Definitely widespread. Thankfully, I haven't experienced anything more than a minor case of it myself, and that was due mostly to office politics.

I've seen it in others where they quit their job or had a marriage end. There are warning signs, but I think they're seen by others long before the individual seem them. Of course, if you're depressed, you tend to listen to others less, which does nothing to slow it down. Since you think they don't know that their friends are trying to help them, they throw themselves into their work. The whole work/life balance is an important, albeit sometimes difficult topic.

• GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

Widespread. Belgians are modest people, and we mostly keep to ourselves.

IT is also (unfortunately) a men's world nowadays, and men do not talk about their feelings 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

Widespread and not improving.

Quite a few years ago I was off for a few months due to this, and more recently my wife was off for almost a year. Then there's the time it takes to get back to a decent 'speed' and confidence when you return to work.

I now make the effort to talk to people where I believe they're heading the same way.

It still seems to be very much a taboo subject, so congratulations on writing something about it.

If you want anybody else to cast an eye over the article, I'd be happy to help.

• GilaMonster (7/2/2015)

I've seen it now and again, or maybe a bit more often than just now and again. But not really a lot of people get like that, but enough of them to be noticeable.

The all-nighters and heroic long hours can sometimes be cured by a bit of help so that the work gets done faster and the long hours aren't needed - and that's sometimes technical help. Some technical people get really hung-up on some of the non-technical aspects of their job, like careeer development planning for their subordinates or mentoring or preparing pitches for potential customers or composing press releases and usually (but not always) that requires a different sort of help.

But don't make the mistake of thinking that all-nighters are always a sign of problems, or long hours (how can long hours be "heroic"?). At one point when very young I preferred to put in my 37.5 hours each week in 3 long shifts instead of 5 short ones, because that gave me two more days at home each week. When I was younger than that I used to prefer working midday to 10pm with a 2 hour early evening break instead of 9 to 5 with a 1 hour lunch break. In both those cases there was no bother from my employer. Later on I occassionally found myself in a situation where working silly hours was a good idea but in compensation when things were quiet I could go and work from home for a couple of weeks or take a few days off altogether without using up any leave time, so working silly hours wasn't a problem.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 49,276 through 49,290 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply