Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Hey guys, going a bit off topic here but would like some advice please as I know pretty much all of you are writers/bloggers.

I've had a blog post copied word for word and was wondering if anyone else here has had this happen? If so, what did you do?

Cheers, Andrew

• DBA From The Cold (6/30/2015)

Hey guys, going a bit off topic here but would like some advice please as I know pretty much all of you are writers/bloggers.

I've had a blog post copied word for word and was wondering if anyone else here has had this happen? If so, what did you do?

Cheers, Andrew

First step is contact the "author" and ask to remove it.

If nothing happens, contact the owner of the website/company, if applicable.

If nothing happens, contact ISP to have his website removed.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Congrats Alan!

Rodders...

• Koen Verbeeck (6/30/2015)

DBA From The Cold (6/30/2015)

Hey guys, going a bit off topic here but would like some advice please as I know pretty much all of you are writers/bloggers.

Cheers, Andrew

Cheers, I've contacted the author through his blog as there were no other details.

I've never seen such blatant plagiarism, he even left my name in one of the screen shots!

Cheers, Andrew

This exactly. Give the 'author' a deadline to remove the post before you escalate it. I usually say seven days from the time of sending. If they own the domain, a whois can sometimes get you an email address. If it's blogger.com or wordpress.com, they've got plagarism report pages you can use.

Don't make it sound like you're asking a favour. Be blunt.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/30/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (6/30/2015)

Cheers, Andrew

This exactly. Give the 'author' a deadline to remove the post before you escalate it. I usually say seven days from the time of sending. If they own the domain, a whois can sometimes get you an email address. If it's blogger.com or wordpress.com, they've got plagarism report pages you can use.

He's on blogger so if he doesn't reply in seven days I'll escalate it, guess I should be flattered.....

GilaMonster (6/30/2015)

Cheers, Andrew

He's on blogger so if he doesn't reply in seven days I'll escalate it, guess I should be flattered.....

https://support.google.com/legal/contact/lr_dmca?&product=blogger

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/30/2015)

GilaMonster (6/30/2015)

Cheers, Andrew

https://support.google.com/legal/contact/lr_dmca?&product=blogger

Thanks

Cheers, Andrew

Take off. Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Oh, and do what Koen says. Also, for added protection, make sure you have an explicit copyright page[/url]. I stole Gail's.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (6/30/2015)

Also, for added protection, make sure you have an explicit copyright page[/url]. I stole Gail's.

Solid advice and a great page. If I ever start my own blog site, I'll steal/borrow/copy it from you 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• You may all have felt a disturbance in the SQL world just then. I was was having to explain XML to a colleague. I have trouble spelling it, let alone explaining it! Scary, very scary :w00t:

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (6/30/2015)

You may all have felt a disturbance in the SQL world just then. I was was having to explain XML to a colleague. I have trouble spelling it, let alone explaining it! Scary, very scary :w00t:

Rodders...

It must have been a very long-winded conversation with lots of extra words that added no value. It was probably very slow as well. 😉

Grant Fritchey (6/30/2015)

Also, for added protection, make sure you have an explicit copyright page[/url]. I stole Gail's.

Solid advice and a great page. If I ever start my own blog site, I'll steal/borrow/copy it from you 😀

I hope you both realize that your statements instant classics. 😀

• Ed Wagner (6/30/2015)

Grant Fritchey (6/30/2015)

I hope you both realize that your statements instant classics. 😀

hmm...oxymoron

😎

• Ed Wagner (6/30/2015)

rodjkidd (6/30/2015)

You may all have felt a disturbance in the SQL world just then. I was was having to explain XML to a colleague. I have trouble spelling it, let alone explaining it! Scary, very scary :w00t:

Rodders...

It must have been a very long-winded conversation with lots of extra words that added no value. It was probably very slow as well. 😉

Oddly enough it was 😉

Rodders...

Viewing 15 posts - 49,126 through 49,140 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply