Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (12/16/2014)

Gosh. I can't believe that the Hierarchies On Steroids #1 article made it to the "Bacon" list on the Tribal Awards. I wouldn't mind winning that one. The prize is a jar of "Bacon Jam" and I like bacon even more than pork chops. πŸ˜›

Just chipped in a slice:-D

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/16/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/15/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

In the category of learning something new, I just did some testing on the differences between ONLINE and OFFLINE index rebuilds because of a post I saw on LinkedIn. I knew that ONLINE was going to be slower than OFFLINE but I'm totally shocked at the how much of a difference there is on multiple fronts. I was really skeptical of claims like "OFFLINE is 5 times faster" and "OFFLINE also does a better job of defragging", etc, etc, and, so, did a bunch of testing and found out it was all true. I'm truly amazed.

I'm also humbled by the fact that I didn't know this before.

Writeup?

I'm not surprised. Given that online essentially starts a transaction, flips two pages, commits, it should be a lot slower.

Writeup? I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be a "what I found" type of article rather than an "SME" type of article because I didn't know a thing about it before I did the testing.

Just my 2 Cents, by experience and if there are sufficient resources (which are needed by the ONLINE anyway), creating a new index and then drop the existing one beats ONLINE, just like The Miami Sharks, Any Given Sunday

😎

Edit: Typo

Wouldn't you also need to rename the index at the end? SQL would need to create a new query plan if there's a differently named index, no?

EDIT to add: Also, that means you have to have enough space for the additional index. While that sounds trivial, lots of places run on the knife's edge when it comes to space.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (12/16/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

In the category of learning something new, I just did some testing on the differences between ONLINE and OFFLINE index rebuilds because of a post I saw on LinkedIn. I knew that ONLINE was going to be slower than OFFLINE but I'm totally shocked at the how much of a difference there is on multiple fronts. I was really skeptical of claims like "OFFLINE is 5 times faster" and "OFFLINE also does a better job of defragging", etc, etc, and, so, did a bunch of testing and found out it was all true. I'm truly amazed.

Writeup?

I'm not surprised. Given that online essentially starts a transaction, flips two pages, commits, it should be a lot slower.

Writeup? I was thinking the same thing. It would have to be a "what I found" type of article rather than an "SME" type of article because I didn't know a thing about it before I did the testing.

Just my 2 Cents, by experience and if there are sufficient resources (which are needed by the ONLINE anyway), creating a new index and then drop the existing one beats ONLINE, just like The Miami Sharks, Any Given Sunday

😎

Wouldn't you also need to rename the index at the end? SQL would need to create a new query plan if there's a differently named index, no?

EDIT to add: Also, that means you have to have enough space for the additional index. While that sounds trivial, lots of places run on the knife's edge when it comes to space.

In fact having a new plan/plans is the desired effect if the old ones are based on outdated statistics/fragmented index. As for the resources, ONLINE will need approximately the same.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (12/16/2014)

Stefan Krzywicki (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

Writeup?

😎

In fact having a new plan/plans is the desired effect if the old ones are based on outdated statistics/fragmented index. As for the resources, ONLINE will need approximately the same.

😎

Sometimes, sure, but if the data that comes in is fairly regular, maybe not.

Rebuilding an index ONLINE takes the same amount of space as a second index?

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

Jeff Moden (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

Writeup?

😎

😎

Rebuilding an index drops an recreates the index

You also can do CREATE INDEX WITH DROP_EXISTING to keep the same index name.

Statistics are redone with any index rebuild or create so any plans will be re-compiled whether you have the same index name or not.

• Jack Corbett (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

Writeup?

😎

😎

Statistics are redone with any index rebuild or create so any plans will be re-compiled whether you have the same index name or not.

Does reorg?

Thanks, that's good to know.

If rebuilding drops and recreates an index, why is creating and dropping it faster? Why isn't REBUILD just automatically CREATE INDEX WITH DROP_EXISTING?

• WHOO! #HappySnoopyDance

I just spent 2 & 1/2 days reworking a package and its supporting tables / stored procedures. Previous time of execution between 8 - 12 hours.

Current execution time ... < 5 minutes.

"Celebration Time, come on!"

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (12/16/2014)

WHOO! #HappySnoopyDance

I just spent 2 & 1/2 days reworking a package and its supporting tables / stored procedures. Previous time of execution between 8 - 12 hours.

Good work, Brandie. I find that doing stuff like that has a tremendous amount of job satisfaction that comes with it.

WHOO! #HappySnoopyDance

Great work!

WHOO! #HappySnoopyDance

Excellent!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

WHOO! #HappySnoopyDance

YEEEEEEE-HAAAAAA!!!!! WOOP! WOOP! WOOP! YOU GO GIRL! YOU GO GIRL! BOOM SHAKALAKA! BOOM SHAKALAKA!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Jack Corbett (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/16/2014)

Jeff Moden (12/14/2014)

Writeup?

😎

😎

Does reorg?

Thanks, that's good to know.

If rebuilding drops and recreates an index, why is creating and dropping it faster? Why isn't REBUILD just automatically CREATE INDEX WITH DROP_EXISTING?

To be clear, for any index over 128 Extents (that's just 8MB, folks), the new index of a REBUILD (not including a DROP_EXISTING) will be built BEFORE the old one is dropped. REORGANIZE does an "in-place" reshuffle.

Don't forget that if you manually drop a clustered index and then rebuild it, ALL of the non-clustered indexes will be rebuilt... twice. The DROP_EXISTING will only cause the NCI's to be rebuilt once.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

WHOO! #HappySnoopyDance

Congrats!

Reminds me of that time I rebuild a crappy SSIS package that took a few hours (if it didn't crash) to an almost fully T-SQL solution (yes Jeff, you read that right) that ran under a minute. Discovered faulty business logic in the process and corrected the test query the business used to test the results. I love moments like these πŸ˜€

"Your results are incorrect."

"No no, your test query is incorrect. That's not how you do joins." 😎

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/15/2014)

Given that online essentially starts a transaction, flips two pages, commits, it should be a lot slower.

That's REORGANIZE.

Online rebuild rebuilds the index entirely, creating a new copy of the index, but plays some tricks with the allocation units and write operations to allow the old index to be accessible and to merge any changes that occur during the rebuild into the new index. I'd also expect it to be lower and more resource intensive because it's doing more work than an offline rebuild.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

WHOO! #HappySnoopyDance

Sigh. So I presented coworker with my changes and asked for a peer review. Partially to make sure I didn't miss anything, partially to give coworker a learning opportunity since coworker was the one who designed the package. There were 7 files / queries involved and lots of tables. The response I got when I told coworker was: "You redesigned all the queries? But only the one was giving us problems!"

Me, I'm looking at the package and seeing opportunities for cleaning up extra variables, reducing the number of containers in half by moving File System Tasks from one container to another and deleting the excess, stripping out code and variables that were built in the initial development and not used. Also, I'm seeing 7 procs where excrutiating RBAR WHILE loops are slowing down processing. Granted, 6 of those procs were not having issues because they are usually working on files that are pretty small. But that doesn't mean they won't cause a problem in the future. After all, the one problem we did have wasn't a problem when this process was first put into place.

And being fair, this package was the first major ETL process designed by my coworker. Coworker had a huge learning curve not only for SSIS but the 7+ files that were being sent from a different system. Using the code I got from the forums here, he redesigned one file into a separate package that worked effectively. The other package (with the other files) were left alone.

But still... To my mind, since I'm already fixing one part of the package, why shouldn't I proactively fix the rest of it to make sure the other 6 procs and ETL paths do NOT become a problem down the road?

Or am I just being too efficient?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 46,606 through 46,620 (of 66,638 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply