Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner (10/29/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/28/2014)

Need to check weather and then make a decision.

Seattle? Probably a chance of rain. I think that's a near-universal truth this time of year.

Funny enough it's raining in London. So I just expect more of the same...

Cleared security now just waiting, and waiting....

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (10/29/2014)

Jack Corbett (10/29/2014)

rodjkidd (10/28/2014)

Less that 24 hours for my flight to Seattle...

This album seems appropriate seeing as it took me all week last time to find him! 😀

Rodders...

Hey, it's not like I was hiding. I'm just a busy man.

Safe travels.

I fly out Saturday evening and arrive around 10:15PM in Seattle. Got the MVP Summit Sun-Tues and then I'll be around the PASS Summit the rest of the week. Friday you probably won't find me until about lunch because I'll be exhausted at that point.

Hey if I haven't found you by Friday then I give up!

Rodders...

Yeah, Jack doesn't hide intentionally. He's just really small.:-D:-D:-D:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (10/29/2014)

Pot..Kettle

Kettle..Pot

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/29/2014)

SQLRNNR (10/29/2014)

Pot..Kettle

Kettle..Pot

No it was personal, Jack was doing it on purpose! 😉

The really funny thing was we met by accident. I was only planning on staying for the Thursday night for a little while as I stupidly had a flight booked after it all finished on Friday. I was about to go, when Richard Douglas said hey have you met Jack? And Jack turns round...

Rodders...

• Just found out through personal experience that Citi bank recycles user IDs.

Makes me a little uncomfortable.

Also found out the hard way that they lost registration data "when moving a database."

Makes me wonder what the hell they're doing there.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (10/30/2014)

Just found out through personal experience that Citi bank recycles user IDs.

Also found out the hard way that they lost registration data "when moving a database."

Stay away from Citi Bank...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Maybe they are using too much of that "special" glaucoma medicine. Or maybe it is the special brownies.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Makes me glad I don't use them. Thanks for the info.

• Getting a error configuring mirroring. I am a programmer with no administration or network knowledge.

Sorry, but this is a little scary at first.

• Lynn Pettis (10/31/2014)

Getting a error configuring mirroring. I am a programmer with no administration or network knowledge.

I understand that (s)he is practicing on a desktop and not in a real environment. Maybe trying to prepare for a certification exam.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (10/31/2014)

Lynn Pettis (10/31/2014)

Getting a error configuring mirroring. I am a programmer with no administration or network knowledge.

I understand that (s)he is practicing on a desktop and not in a real environment. Maybe trying to prepare for a certification exam.

No administration or network knowledge and trying to prepare for an exam? Hmmm.

• Now he's trying to set up a virtual lab environment and getting sysprep errors...

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (11/3/2014)

Now he's trying to set up a virtual lab environment and getting sysprep errors...

You have to give him credit, it's not easy to work with Windows Evolution Edition. :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I'm wondering why he wants to certify on a subject that he clearly doesn't master.

However I feel his pain: how is anybody without system/network administration skills supposed to understand how sysprep works?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (11/3/2014)

I'm wondering why he wants to certify on a subject that he clearly doesn't master.

However I feel his pain: how is anybody without system/network administration skills supposed to understand how sysprep works?

I can understand where he's coming from. I work in BI but the company would like us as a team to get Microsoft certification. I'm in the situation where a lot of what's on the various exams we use day to day but there is an awful lot that might as well be written in Klingon. We'll never set up mirroring and there's next to no chance of getting network and administration experience because it's just not our job. We're chasing the correct access to the dev environment to allow us to work on this in downtime at work but as it stands, to do a lot of the exam prep, we'd have to use virtual machines on our home systems in our own time.

As to why he wants to certify, I suspect the answer is similar to the reason I (eventually) want to certify; the company will pay me more. I know that certification is not the be-all-and-end-all and in most cases it will be trumped by experience but when a bigger paycheque is offered it seems as good a reason as any to do it. Especially when somebody else has said they will pick up any costs.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 15 posts - 46,291 through 46,305 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply