Are the posted questions getting worse?

• And vague question of the week award goes to: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1599205-391-1.aspx

I want to make my search query faster and accurate.

DO i need to use any algorithem in SQL?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/4/2014)

And vague question of the week award goes to: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1599205-391-1.aspx

So early in the week and that one's going to be tough to top. I'm tempted to ask what algorithms are under consideration. 😉

• Ed Wagner (8/4/2014)

GilaMonster (8/4/2014)

And vague question of the week award goes to: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1599205-391-1.aspx

So early in the week and that one's going to be tough to top. I'm tempted to ask what algorithms are under consideration. 😉

Given what I'm up to my ears in at the moment, I'm tempted to suggest a discrete variation of Simulated Annealing. Or maybe a Particle Swarm Optimisation

Where's my *evil grin* emoticon?

Edit: Apparently all the data mining algorithms are in consideration....

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (8/4/2014)

Ed Wagner (8/4/2014)

GilaMonster (8/4/2014)

Given what I'm up to my ears in at the moment, I'm tempted to suggest a discrete variation of Simulated Annealing. Or maybe a Particle Swarm Optimisation

I was thinking a large handful of darts with suction cup tips. Anything sharp would be way too dangerous.

Considering all algorithms, but do not want to use data mining.

Maybe the cracked Crystal Ball has a new home.

• GilaMonster (8/4/2014)

Ed Wagner (8/4/2014)

GilaMonster (8/4/2014)

Bowl of the Winds?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• LutzM (8/3/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/3/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (8/3/2014)

Where was that Crystal Ball again when one needs it, certain I've seen it somewhere...

😎

Actually, I think the Crystal Ball is needed here. I just wanted to post a single word answer, "Yes", and see what happened. I did, however, restrain myself.

Lynn, your highly valuable input has been used to answer the OP's question. 😉

...and then Lutz goes and contradicts your considered opinion...

To be a little more serious:

To add an index depends if there are queries that'll benefit from it.

Adding an index with all columns just because of adding the index doesn't make much sense.

Without knowing much more details it's hard to tell if the index is approriate.

My wild guess would be: No. But that might be wrong...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lutz

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Jesus Grant, you throw this one to the OP like it's a "querying for dummies" book or something, and while I cannot disagree that reading it would give you a solid foundation, if Itzik represents just the "basics", then I quit!

I'd suggest getting a copy of Itzik Ben Gan's book on T-SQL querying in order to arrive at a solid foundation on the basics.

• jcrawf02 (8/4/2014)

Jesus Grant, you throw this one to the OP like it's a "querying for dummies" book or something, and while I cannot disagree that reading it would give you a solid foundation, if Itzik represents just the "basics", then I quit!

I'd suggest getting a copy of Itzik Ben Gan's book on T-SQL querying in order to arrive at a solid foundation on the basics.

I suspect he's referring to Itzik's T-SQL Fundamentals book, which is an excellent coverage of basics and a bit more.

Gail Shaw

• Weird issue here.

I have a rather large DWH query. For testing purposes I singled out one single ID.

But sometimes the query returned 1 row, sometimes 2, while it should always return one row.

When looking at the query plan I saw it was executed multiple times in parallel. Executing the query with maxdop = 1 consistenly returns 1 row.

Omitting the where clauses and searching for the ID in the result set also gives my expected 1 row.

Weird weird.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Weird issue here.

I have a rather large DWH query. For testing purposes I singled out one single ID.

But sometimes the query returned 1 row, sometimes 2, while it should always return one row.

When looking at the query plan I saw it was executed multiple times in parallel. Executing the query with maxdop = 1 consistenly returns 1 row.

Omitting the where clauses and searching for the ID in the result set also gives my expected 1 row.

Weird weird.

Eagle eyes 😉

What's the sqlplan ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Weird issue here.

Weird weird.

Eagle eyes 😉

What's the sqlplan ?

I don't have it anymore 😀

I already moved on because the normal query didn't have any issues.

And because the project also has a deadline, so I can't dwell too long on this peculiarity.

• Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

ALZDBA (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Weird issue here.

Weird weird.

Eagle eyes 😉

What's the sqlplan ?

And because the project also has a deadline, so I can't dwell too long on this peculiarity.

Then it didn't occur ! 😀

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• jcrawf02 (8/4/2014)

Jesus Grant, you throw this one to the OP like it's a "querying for dummies" book or something, and while I cannot disagree that reading it would give you a solid foundation, if Itzik represents just the "basics", then I quit!

Itzik doesn't represent the fundamentals. I'll never forget sitting in his class. He presents a business problem and then says, "Of course, we would approach this using a mathematical equation..." Uhm, no, no "WE" wouldn't. That guy's brain probably affects the orbit of the moon and tides.

However, his books on querying are just must-reads. Yeah, the one gets deep, but it's still absolutely part of understanding how to run queries.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• ALZDBA (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

ALZDBA (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Weird issue here.

Weird weird.

Eagle eyes 😉

What's the sqlplan ?

Then it didn't occur ! 😀

Assuming it didn't occur if he runs DBCC TIMEWARP in the future against a time in the past. Then it could have occurred, but not yet. 😉

Koen - Is your DBCC TIMEWARP running? Mine has an error...or is that will have a future error in the past?

• Ed Wagner (8/4/2014)

ALZDBA (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

ALZDBA (8/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/4/2014)

Weird issue here.

Weird weird.

Eagle eyes 😉

What's the sqlplan ?

Then it didn't occur ! 😀

Assuming it didn't occur if he runs DBCC TIMEWARP in the future against a time in the past. Then it could have occurred, but not yet. 😉

Koen - Is your DBCC TIMEWARP running? Mine has an error...or is that will have a future error in the past?

Oh shoot. I forgot the run DBCC TIMEWARP with the elusive, hidden and slightly undocumented parameter 42. That might explain the issue of course, as the second row is actually the first row but from the past using the flex capacitor.

Viewing 15 posts - 45,046 through 45,060 (of 66,586 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply