Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Koen Verbeeck (7/10/2014)

Jack Corbett (7/10/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/10/2014)

So I tried to endorse Jeff on LinkedIn for BCP, but somehow it doesn't work.

I saw Jeff was endorsed 9 times for SSIS. That was cruel. 😀

I don't know, I bet Jeff would write better SSIS packages than a lot of people who do it full-time.:w00t:

I guess he would have just one Execute SQL Task that calls a stored procedure 😀

A stored procedure that calls xp_cmdshell to run a bcp command?

Jason Wolfkill

• Greg Edwards-268690 (7/11/2014)

Lynn Pettis (7/10/2014)

Okay. Curious if the OP on anther thread is ever going to say anything. Asks for help and doesn't quite provide enough to help. Posts data and ddl after being asked. Post didn't quite look right mentioned that to the OP asking if the code had been tested. OP reposts after testing and making a change.

I don't get to work on it, but later the OP posts an answer and marks it works for op. In the same post complains about performance.

I post a new solution (outer apply) along with execution plan. Nothing.

I post another solution (left outer join) along with execution plans and creating an index after conforming data type between two columns. Nothing.

Wondering if the OP will ever say anything at this point. Also, no one (OP included) has looked at the execution plans at this time.

You were too slow to respond. They will cure performance by upgrading the server. :hehe:

Hope they at least look at what you suggested, and comment.

And that the next question you help with gives more personal satisfaction.

At least someone else stumbling across the thread can see there are a couple of better ways to solve a similar problem, so you are still helping others.

Whoa!! The OP has responded! Apparently my code was a success.

• I am about to head of here for the week. Then Sunday starts 3 days at Webelos camp with my oldest. I will be outside fending off the heat and mosquitoes. See you all next Wednesday.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (7/11/2014)

I am about to head of here for the week. Then Sunday starts 3 days at Webelos camp with my oldest. I will be outside fending off the heat and mosquitoes. See you all next Wednesday.

Have much fun!!

• GilaMonster (7/11/2014)

*sigh* Why do people post questions in the forums and then send me PMs, occasionally multiple ones notifying me of that fact?

Why, how else would you know that he posted a question in the forums without telling you about it? :w00t:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• wolfkillj (7/11/2014)

Jack Corbett (7/10/2014)

I don't know, I bet Jeff would write better SSIS packages than a lot of people who do it full-time.:w00t:

A stored procedure that calls xp_cmdshell to run a bcp command?

Most likely 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Just bumped by Gus on the Total Points board. Still behind him on the forum posts count.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (7/12/2014)

Just bumped by Gus on the Total Points board. Still behind him on the forum posts count.

Congrats!!

• Love those problems that go like this:

OP: I have a problem (explains problem)

<< some time passes with no responses >>

OP: Never mine, I solved it.

Well, that nice. How did you solve it?

Just bumped by Gus on the Total Points board. Still behind him on the forum posts count.

Congrats!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Evil Kraig F (7/10/2014)

ChrisM@Work (7/10/2014)

Jack Corbett (7/10/2014)

So would I - you wouldn't believe the cr@p SSIS tasks I've seen in the last couple of years. Gazillions of DCT's just because some oaf couldn't write decent TSQL.

There is value in that, as it's faster (usually) to transform the stream than it is to double (or more) pass on the data in the staging table doing writes. Depends on the environment and the chagne, though.

However, and this is knowing Jeff's adoration for the SSIS product, I WOULD trust him more than most I've seen code up some utter trash in SSIS. At least Jeff knows he doesn't know.

And yes, Jeff, I remember your challenge. 😀 Every example I have is tied up in NDAs and I'm still trying to find enough time to obfuscate them. The algorithm isn't NDA, it's just everything they're hooked to (multiple vendor systems).

Not to worry on the "challenge", Craig. I've been doing a lot of ETL at work lately and I'm thinking about writing an article on the improvements to existing processes (before my time) that we were able to make.

And thanks for the votes of confidence on being able to do well on SSIS. Let's hope I never have to find out. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Lynn Pettis (7/13/2014)

Love those problems that go like this:

OP: I have a problem (explains problem)

Forgot to mention he laid down on the couch while somebody in the room nodded their head

OP: I solved it.

Congratulations. That will be $350/hr for this therapy session.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Nice SQL Bump

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Well done, Grant.

• Grant - Well done sir!

Gail - Do you know Steph and Oz Locke? They like their card games, and normally play a game or two at SQL bits / SQL Saturdays...

Rodders...

Viewing 15 posts - 44,596 through 44,610 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply