Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luis Cazares (7/7/2014)

patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/7/2014)

Luis Cazares (7/7/2014)

I'll start using Oracle :sick: at my job. As a SQL/BI Developer, it seems that most of the knowledge can be transferred easily between tools, but I'm just starting to study.

Does anyone has any advice on where to study? Currently I'm reviewing some documents on http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/index.htm but any other help could be appreciated.

PS. I don't like 0r4cl3.

So why don't you like Oracle? (I haven't used it in ages, but except for the unfamiliarity and need to avoid windows installations, I'm wondering what the downside would be?)

For a start, the need to use third party tools to have a fine working environment. I'm working with TOAD and it leaves very little space for actual work.

The lack of ANSI standard in general.

The help/reference documents.

The limited amount of data types.

The way to handle dates.

And that's basically on first sight, I might find more things later.

EDIT: I had forgotten the need of TNSNAMES.

I haven't worked with it directly in many years. Can you drop a column from a table these days?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/7/2014)

Luis Cazares (7/7/2014)

Luis Cazares (7/7/2014)

I'll start using Oracle :sick: at my job. As a SQL/BI Developer, it seems that most of the knowledge can be transferred easily between tools, but I'm just starting to study.

Does anyone has any advice on where to study? Currently I'm reviewing some documents on http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/index.htm but any other help could be appreciated.

PS. I don't like 0r4cl3.

So why don't you like Oracle? (I haven't used it in ages, but except for the unfamiliarity and need to avoid windows installations, I'm wondering what the downside would be?)

For a start, the need to use third party tools to have a fine working environment. I'm working with TOAD and it leaves very little space for actual work.

The way to handle dates.

I haven't worked with it directly in many years. Can you drop a column from a table these days?

It seems that you can http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e41084/statements_3001.htm#SQLRF53388

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • For anyone that gets frustrated with our posters here, here's a quote from a poster over on a gaming forum...

I was thinking about reactivating my bomber but it occurred to me that I wouldn't have the time.

I am running short of time and have too many other tasks to do irl.

Not that I don't think that the game doesn't incur in real life time or that it is a real-time game, and so on...

Anyways, I wonder how viable would the bomber be at 500+ dps.

Well, there is more to say about this, but I wouldn't want to be forced to, or be imposed to or compelled to feel guilty to do something wrong.

I wouldn't have the time for that either to be honest.

That's the sum total of that particular post. :hehe:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/7/2014)

For anyone that gets frustrated with our posters here, here's a quote from a poster over on a gaming forum...

I was thinking about reactivating my bomber but it occurred to me that I wouldn't have the time.

Not that I don't think that the game doesn't incur in real life time or that it is a real-time game, and so on...

Well, there is more to say about this, but I wouldn't want to be forced to, or be imposed to or compelled to feel guilty to do something wrong.

But only the gaming reference makes it different:w00t:, apart from that, this sounds like a project meeting ~~~\0/~~~/\~~

😎

• GilaMonster (7/7/2014)

For anyone that gets frustrated with our posters here, here's a quote from a poster over on a gaming forum...

Navel-gazing on the interwebs? Horrors!

What game is that, BTW?

Jason Wolfkill

• EVE Online

That's one of his more comprehensible posts.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/7/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/7/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/7/2014)

Luis Cazares (7/7/2014)

PS. I don't like 0r4cl3.

Probably the horrible Java interfaces...

I can understand the need for interfaces, especially on big projects that spew code like its nobody's business LOL but if you were using Java, would you not want to use interfaces even with MSSQL especially if its the sort of enterprisey code Java is known for getting used with?

Not sure what you are getting at. My point is that some of the Java interfaces Oracle uses has been created in 1995 and the layout has never been updated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_(Java)

Maybe you're talking about client tools?

I'm talking about the user interface created with Java. πŸ˜‰

You know, those ugly grey things.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• GilaMonster (7/7/2014)

EVE Online

I gave that game up about 5 years ago, and I was late to the party even then. After a year I walked away. I have no idea how they manage to continue to attract new people, nevermind keep the old hands interested.

Near constant boredom while beating on AI opponents marked by moments of sheer terror at 0.3 (0.2?) gate transitions whenever you want to do something interesting. Kowtow to the old hands or be their prey, or hide in monitored space where there's not a lot of interesting things going on.

I know there's a really neat metagame to it, and some of the competition battles are VERY curious (such as dumping energy pods for friendlies and the like) in their intricacy... but the few hundred hours in between or when you're not a member of a ruling party to be able to PLAY the metagame... ugh.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Luis Cazares (7/7/2014)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/7/2014)

Luis Cazares (7/7/2014)

Luis Cazares (7/7/2014)

PS. I don't like 0r4cl3.

The way to handle dates.

It seems that you can http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e41084/statements_3001.htm#SQLRF53388

Oh good. They told me that wasn't a problem and there was no need to fix it back then. Part of why I swore off Oracle.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• GilaMonster (7/7/2014)

EVE Online

Wolfkill needs to know if there are tanks in EVE Online, as well as bombers.

Tanks are very important. πŸ˜‰

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (7/8/2014)

GilaMonster (7/7/2014)

EVE Online

I have heard that in some of the pre-historic worlds, the only things you get are sticks, stones and bulk copy programs:w00t:

😎

GilaMonster (7/7/2014)

EVE Online

Spaceships only.

Gail Shaw

• XML didn't catch on in ancient times because it was too much extra effort to chisel the tags into stone tablets. 😎

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• GilaMonster (7/8/2014)

The Dixie Flatline (7/8/2014)

GilaMonster (7/7/2014)

EVE Online

Spaceships only.

I remember, Gail. You explained EVE Online to me over dinner. I abandoned any thoughts of playing it when I realized I already have a job. But I believe Jason Wolfkill's game of choice to be World of Tanks, so that comment was just a slight dig at him. πŸ˜‰

I abandoned any thoughts of playing it when I realized I already have a job.

πŸ™ EVE hasn't taken over my life. Not entirely anyway. πŸ™‚

But I believe Jason Wolfkill's game of choice to be World of Tanks, so that comment was just a slight dig at him. πŸ˜‰

Each to their own. No one likes every single game and no game is for everyone.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 44,521 through 44,535 (of 66,647 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply