Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Kingston Dhasian (6/6/2013)

dwain.c (6/5/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/5/2013)

Don't you hate it when you finally figure out a solution for a difficult problem and it creates 5 more problems that the old way disguised?

I would say it depends on how much fun it is to solve the 5 additional problems!

I agree, It would be challenging and fun but only till I get blamed for the 5 additional problems

Statements like This problem didn't exist until you fixed the other problem last week. is a real possibility sometimes

I usually respond to that with the 12 step mantra:

"The first step is to admit you already had a problem".

If the behavior was there before, the only difference is that they are now aware.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• rodjkidd (6/6/2013)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/6/2013)

rodjkidd (6/6/2013)

Anybody from the thread heading to SQL Saturday Edinburgh?

I'm flying up tonight. Looks like the weather will be good - even though I'll be indoors most of the time! 🙂

Rodders...

Enjoy. I'd be tempted if it were the Sat after SQL in the City, but too far for me to swing by for a pint.

Cheers Steve - so that's why the Dublin one is the day after SQL in the City 😉

Rodders...

I submitted for that one, but backed out. It's a lot of travel and I need to get home for a few things.

I like Ireland, but I like Scotland more. Would like to go back if I could.

• We had a Down Tools Week[/url] project recently that built an add-in for SSC. It accesses the scripts from SSMS.

I'm looking to get some feedback from people that might want to play around. It requires SSMS 2012, but allows you access to all scripts, your briefcase, and links with SSMS.

Ping (PM) me if you want to play around with it and send some feedback.

• Anyone? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1460028-391-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I hate SQL Server destinations.

Really, really, really, really, really hate them.

GRRR.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/7/2013)

I hate SQL Server destinations.

GRRR.

:ermm: ... I initially read this as "I hate SQL Saturday destinations.", and was thinking "Really? I'd love to be able to go to all of them"

Then the eyes focused...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (6/7/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (6/7/2013)

I hate SQL Server destinations.

GRRR.

:ermm: ... I initially read this as "I hate SQL Saturday destinations.", and was thinking "Really? I'd love to be able to go to all of them"

Then the eyes focused...

Caffeine is life.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Overheard from a boss / co-worker conversation:

Co-worker points out problems with future process.

Boss responds: "Don't bring reality into this..."

And yes, he was joking. It was a commentary on how some users can always find a way to mess with our data no matter how dummy-proof we make it.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden (6/3/2013)

dbursey (6/3/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/3/2013)

dbursey (6/3/2013)

Greg Edwards-268690 (6/3/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/3/2013)

Greg Edwards-268690 (6/3/2013)

David Burrows (6/3/2013)

Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

2. I can't stand when developers create databases without a data professional involved.

:ermm:

I'm a developer, I create databases without a data professional as I do not have one to consult (nor a DBA) :rolleyes:

I suppose it makes me the DBA :pinch:

When you have to work with what you create, you learn from your mistakes.

Which can be the best way to learn.

No problem with those that can switch hats during the day.

Sometimes since they know the whole picture, very solid solutions come into use.

What I hate is the developers that try to make 1 column represent multiple things, then code logic around it.

If column A has a Work Center, then column B is production quantity for the work center.

If column A is a Department, then column B is total qty for the day for the department.

If column is NULL, then column B is something completely different.

I don't know what they think they are saving.

The worst is when they include 20+ "User Defined fields" called User1, User2, etc...

Maybe that's what they are saving - not having to define a name that means anything.

That could limit (or draw questions) if the field represents mulitple things.

And everyone knows that nvarchar(max) is very flexible.

Data types? Just an unecessary constraint!

As one of the aforementioned "they" - bad code is bad code, an illogical mind is an illogical mind, and there are quite a few of us who also hate stupid meaningless column names and dumb case statements. Not to mention my pet peeve - run-on statements with no formatting. You can't even tell what from clause goes with which select statement. Yikes! Anyway - don't lump us all together.

Donna

Sorry, the only people I meant by "they" is the people who design tables like that. I've seen developers do it and I've seen DBAs do it. They think they're being clever. I'm an architect/developer who ends up doing DBA things because I tend to work in small shops. Sorry if my statement was overly broad.

I hear you...I'm in the same boat right now with the DBA stuff (not any more, in about two weeks), and the things I see...implicit conversions being most prevelant and egregious....and you mention it, and the blank look is...well, you've gotta laugh.

For the same and similar reasons, I found a way to greatly simplify my life about 35 years ago. It's super simple, too. I wake up in the morning hating eveyone and the code they came in on and make exceptions from there. 😀

LOL, now THAT'S funny...and yet...some days, I totally get that. Thanks for the advice! 🙂 Speaking of "bad code" - anyone watch Person of Interest? I find myself actually describing people as "bad code!"

Overheard from a boss / co-worker conversation:

Co-worker points out problems with future process.

Boss responds: "Don't bring reality into this..."

And yes, he was joking. It was a commentary on how some users can always find a way to mess with our data no matter how dummy-proof we make it.

BWAAAAA_HAAAA!!!! SNORT!!! (Dammit. Now I need a new keyboard.)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

...users can always find a way to mess with our data no matter how dummy-proof we make it.

Idiot's Razor: "If you make something idiot proof, only idiots will use it." 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• The Dixie Flatline (6/4/2013)

Jeff Moden (6/4/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (6/4/2013)

My Recovery Plan

1) SCREAM really loudly so everyone knows there is a problem.

2) Run out of the building as fast as possible.

3) Update my resume.

4) Job hunt.

5) Repeat as needed.

My plan is to first get 3 envelopes...

(+100 if you get that one, as well) 😀

Does envelope #1 tell you to blame your predecessor?

+100 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Kingston Dhasian (6/6/2013)

dwain.c (6/5/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/5/2013)

Don't you hate it when you finally figure out a solution for a difficult problem and it creates 5 more problems that the old way disguised?

I would say it depends on how much fun it is to solve the 5 additional problems!

I agree, It would be challenging and fun but only till I get blamed for the 5 additional problems

Statements like This problem didn't exist until you fixed the other problem last week. is a real possibility sometimes

Don't worry about problem numbers 4 and 5. You're only allowed 3 envelopes. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (6/10/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (6/7/2013)

...users can always find a way to mess with our data no matter how dummy-proof we make it.

Idiot's Razor: "If you make something idiot proof, only idiots will use it." 😀

As H.L. Mencken famously said, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." If, in your application, there's a way, any way, to insert bad data, someone will manage to do it.

Jason Wolfkill

• I don't argue with H.L. Mencken's philosophy, but noone ever got rich trying to make a spreadsheet software using a pac-man interface, either.

If you can't trust your users, they won't be able to get anything done faster than they could with a notebook and a pen anyway.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 15 posts - 40,141 through 40,155 (of 66,638 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply